Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2023, 09:53 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,409 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a lift/recliner chair but I want something with dual motors -- one for the foot rest and another for the back because I see that I need a straight back with the leg part up, not half-way down. That usually requires 2 motors, and they're there (Okin motor or something like that). The problem is with the power because I've had chairs conk out due to power failure or a cord problem. The question is if anyone knows of a decent power lift-recliner chair that has a battery backup in case of power failure. BECAUSE if I get stuck in a chair that won't go down due to power failure of some sort, I'm stuck because my knees are no good and I won't be able to get out unless someone lifts me and that's not going to happen unless I call 911 and the fire department comes by. But then the front door would have to be unlocked which it may not be. Soooo--if anyone knows of a power recliner/lift chair with a battery backup, that would be nice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,205,691 times
Pretty sure most of them have a battery.

Have you been shopping?

A random google search agrees

Do lift chairs have battery backup?

Lift chairs all feature a battery backup system. The battery backup is intended to allow return of a reclined chair to a seated position one time during a power outage. Most lift chairs use two conventional household 9v batteries for battery backup.Jul 10, 2019

Old 04-12-2023, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post

Have you been shopping?

Lift chairs all feature a battery backup system. The battery backup is intended to allow return of a reclined chair to a seated position one time during a power outage. Most lift chairs use two conventional household 9v batteries for battery backup.Jul 10, 2019
Thanks so much for your answer but I've done multitudinous searches and few if any on amazon or walmart have battery backup that I could find. I actually have found something on amazon you can attach to a chair as an added battery protection, it's about $100 and I'm willing to pay that but I'd have to make sure I know how to attach it. I have not, however, found any chair that comes with a battery backup. I had one at home and it made me feel secure in case of power outage but something broke anyway although still working, and I want a longer leg rest. For some reason they're just not putting them on anymore. I'll keep checking. I checked and checked. I may go with the additional instrument if I have to.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post

Have you been shopping?

I'd love to know where you found this info. I'll google it. ok, I see where you got that from. I was going to call a medical supply company soon, that was about a Pride chair, sold through medical supply companies. Thanks! Pride Mobility Viva model lift chairs each have a built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery that is charged automatically.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:46 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
One caveat about lift chairs-- You have to have at least a minimum amount of strength and dexterity of your legs/hips/back so that it doesn't just dump you on the floor like a load of coal. It won't prop you in an upright positon, but at an angle. You need to do some of the work yourself. ..Take one for a test drive before buying.

Secondly- if you really think a power outage is a likely, major problem, you can always get a cheap little motorcycle or lawn tractor battery and an inverter to plug it into, but that would require someone to unlug it from the wall and into the inverter when needed (unless you couold postion the chair so you can reach the sockets yourself). It will also cost another couple hundred bucks, but the battery will hold enough charge for multiple uses.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:58 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,205,691 times
Pretty sure the La Z Boy store mentioned they have backups as well. I was shopping last year and they were amazed I wanted a manual chair. I was like just how old do I look and they said even kids want them for the "cool factor".

A chair is something I think you should buy in person if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness