Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I had high blood pressure when I was 14 years old, my Doctor put me on meds right away. It was so high he would not let me leave until it went down. When I was about 17 years old, I came to realize I didn't want to be on meds forever, so I researched what lowers blood pressure. I took various supplement, ate bananas until I smelled like them and exercised a lot. Still, my pressure would not stay in normal range without meds.. I was in top physical condition from 19 to 34 years old. Doctors say my HPB was hereditary, so I've taken medication for 25 year, I'm now 39. I get stress tests done every five years or so, so far everything is normal.

I would say, make sure your husband is not taking supplements that are controversial, creatine, ephedra, ephedrine, etc.. I would also push him to get a stress test done.
Thanks Mike.....sorry you had to deal with that too.....it's a real Pain....It might be hereditary.....he doesn't have much family around, so i'm not sure if we would be able to find out......thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Thanks guys....I really appreciate all of the awesome feed back...i've been reading and noting intensley ...I know 140/80 doesn't seem that high but he's so young....and in such amazing shape otherwise....He does love his Dr. Pepper and i'm trying to get him away from that but it is not easy at all! I took his salt away.....now i'm dealing with dirty looks across the dinner table.....I went and bought some apple cider vinnegar but i'm not quite sure what i'm supposed to do with it haha.....I might have him try the garlic pills.....He does drink protein shakes at least once a day.....sometimes twice......but this wouldn't contribute to HB right? I'm not sure.......maybe I will ask his Doc if they can do a scan in order to rule out blockage or build up.......Thanks Ya'll, appreciate it!!

Your husband is lucky to have you looking out for him. His BP is not that high right now but you are doing the right thing trying to be proactive about this.

As Mike, the poster above noted, hypertension is often hereditary and no amount of diet and exercise will counter that but with proper lifestyle choices he may be able to limit or negate the need for medication,

Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your husband is lucky to have you looking out for him. His BP is not that high right now but you are doing the right thing trying to be proactive about this.

As Mike, the poster above noted, hypertension is often hereditary and no amount of diet and exercise will counter that but with proper lifestyle choices he may be able to limit or negate the need for medication,
Thanks it's good to hear that many don't find it to be that high.....the scary thing was that both his dentist and his doctor told him he had high BP on two seperate occasions.......I'm definitly taking all i've heard here with me and applying it......oh, and maybe i'll lay off him a bit too ahhh, probably not I kid!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
the scary thing was that both his dentist and his doctor told him he had high BP on two seperate occasions
High blood pressure readings on two occasions is not enough. Please consider an at home device to monitor him.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Yea, we have one.....i'm not sure how accurate it is though......varies quite a bit.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Funny I thought the only Moderator cut: no name calling in this thread was you.....

Sorry, but you are wrong on nothing is "independent".....there are most certainly "independent" risk factors for most disease states including heart disease.....if your father died of a heart attack at age 45 you have a positive family history which INDEPENDENT of any other interventions, risk factors, positive lifestyle choices, what have you puts you at a SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER risk of suffering the same fate no matter what you do to lower the risk, it is still there.....

As to whether continued positive lifestyle choices are better option EVEN if they aren't working Hello, if they aren't working and your BP remains elevated, then it is UNTREATED and you are at risk of stroke, heart attack etc....

As for the one pill for all persons, huh?? They are many different medications and classes of medications for hypertension, no one said a one size fits all approach is the best option.....other than you, that is....
I see you're one of the hard cases, and I've already spent far too much time conversing about this, so, good luck and good health.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Yea, we have one.....i'm not sure how accurate it is though......varies quite a bit.

Blood pressure does vary a lot. The best home device is not one of these digital deals but an actually cuff like at the doctor's office. They're quite inexpensive. 140/85 is not that bad. I surely wouldn't worry. He was probably just nervous at the dentist's and doctor's office. That's why taking it at home is important.

When I was 21, my BP reading was 160/110, so I've had a battle with it all my life. It runs in my family with both my maternal grandpa and mom dying of a stroke but not at young ages. G-pa was 72 and mom was 81.

There have been times when my pressure would shoot up to 220/180 and I'd have to be rushed to the emergency room. I was really afraid and of course, that would make it worse. I do take medicine and have for years. It still gets out of control like 180/104 and then the meds are increased or changed. It's never been over 200 since those days in 1999.

I guess it will always be a battle for me. I don't have a weight problem, so I guess it's just from the gene pool. Both my son and daughter have to take meds too. They are 32 and 35.

It will be okay. His is really quite low but nevertheless, it's something that should be monitored by everyone because when never knows when it might strike them. Most people can't tell they have it, but I can tell when mine is up. How could one not with those numbers?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
"6% body fat? Come on...how many people have that and are victims of high blood pressure?"

While I don't disagree in toto, my mother weighed 105 lbs and had high blood pressure. High BP is hereditary as well. There are many factors to consider - does it run in his family? What are his life choices? Eating a typical "fast food" diet is no help. How much does he exercise? How much sodium does he take in? There are many factors to consider. Now while his BP may be borderline, it should not be ignored.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 AM

6% and he maintains that with excersize and activity level, we are avid mtn bikers. Could be hereditary however, like I said before he can't confirm that. He does not eat fast food at all.....neither of us do. He does however, like his soda....I've tried to get him to get rid of it but it's really not easy. He eats really healthy, again, we both do. I'm happy it's not THAT high but it's still too high for me......

Thank you all for your input, I truly appreciate all of the responses

Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,682 times
That is how I got mine down from 180/140 to 128/72 with exercise and weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness