Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 08:40 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

Unless their dads had prostate cancer.

Reason, according to primary: too many false positives resulting in unnecessary surgeries.

I wonder if it's actually insurers' protests. Are other providers following this practice?

At any rate, mine has never exceeded .25 and the disease is slowly progressive so I won't fuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 AM

181 posts, read 166,710 times
Got a similar pitch from my PCP. "So your PSA is positive, now what?" His main idea was that it's really hard to know if/when to operate even with the test result in hand.

Moot point for me since mine was negative.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
My PCP did not want to get a PSA test on my blood sample. I insisted and I had a PSA of 25.

My urologist did a biopsy and 8 out of 12 core samples had cancer. The pathology report on the samples showed that my cancer had a Gleason score of 9 [which means that it was an extremely aggressive fast-growing variety of cancer].

I had my prostate removed, and I was cancer-free for four years before my cancer returned. The downside for me was that the surgeon had to remove my 'nerve-bundle' in his attempt to remove the cancer.

Last summer I went through radiation treatment and I started hormone therapy, to attempt to kill the last remaining cells of my cancer.

They say that if you live to be 100, you will have a 90% chance of having prostate cancer, and at that point, most of those cancers will be slow-growing.

I had prostate cancer in my 50s. I have never had any symptoms of cancer. But if we had not caught it when we did, it would likely have metastasized into bone cancer by now.

I am thankful for PSA testing. It clearly saved my life.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,753 times
PSA has not been recommended for use for years. You can artificially increase someone's PSA by moving around the prostate. The results don't mean much. Also, if you are older, something else is going to kill you before prostate cancer.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
... You can artificially increase someone's PSA by moving around the prostate. The results don't mean much. Also, if you are older, something else is going to kill you before prostate cancer.
A prostate can not move much, it is generally located in a specific location.

Also assuming that prostate cancer will be slow growing, is a bad idea. No body knows how aggressive prostate cancer is until after you have taken a biopsy and determined the Gleason score.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 AM

1,203 posts, read 618,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A prostate can not move much, it is generally located in a specific location.

Also assuming that prostate cancer will be slow growing, is a bad idea. No body knows how aggressive prostate cancer is until after you have taken a biopsy and determined the Gleason score.
Rectal digital exams is what I was trying to refer to. They do increase PSA.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
Rectal digital exams is what I was trying to refer to. They do increase PSA.
So too sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness