Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM

126 posts, read 245,019 times

Advertisements

I went in for my annual physical last week, and my cholesterol levels were high for the 1st time. I'm 42, female and my BMI is 24.5.

My numbers were as follows:
Total Cholesterol 208
Triglycerides 67
HDL 62
LDL 133

My father had a bypass at age 51 (passed away the following year in an accident), and my mother currently takes statin medication.

My goal is to lose 10 lbs gradually. I've signed up for the cholesterol management class my doctor recommended. I currently don't eat a lot of red meat, use olive oil or canola oil for cooking, and take multi-vitamin and fish oil supplements. I do still occasionally use butter on toast. I'm trying to increase the amount of exercise I'm getting beyond just walking my dog. In terms of diet, I'm trying to increase my fiber intake and focus on lean meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies.

What else should I be doing? I'm trying to avoid having to go on a statin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Diet and excerise.

Go to that class and pay attention to what they tell you and then apply it to your life.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,345 times
I have so-called high cholesterol. I probably always had it. Do I worry? Nope! Otherwise all is fine. I have no blockages.

You are aware, aren't you? that your liver makes most of your cholesterol. Only 20% is dietary, so if you are not eating it, it is all of your own making.

My brother as well as a friend used one of the high fibre drinks and it did lower their cholesterol numbers. Brother who had 2 heart attacks is now 80 years old.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,968 times
Start right away on the statin. Plaque stabilization is a goal not related to blood cholesterol testing.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM

7,135 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmu View Post
I went in for my annual physical last week, and my cholesterol levels were high for the 1st time. I'm 42, female and my BMI is 24.5.

My numbers were as follows:
Total Cholesterol 208
Triglycerides 67
HDL 62
LDL 133

My father had a bypass at age 51 (passed away the following year in an accident), and my mother currently takes statin medication.

My goal is to lose 10 lbs gradually. I've signed up for the cholesterol management class my doctor recommended. I currently don't eat a lot of red meat, use olive oil or canola oil for cooking, and take multi-vitamin and fish oil supplements. I do still occasionally use butter on toast. I'm trying to increase the amount of exercise I'm getting beyond just walking my dog. In terms of diet, I'm trying to increase my fiber intake and focus on lean meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies.

What else should I be doing? I'm trying to avoid having to go on a statin.
Does your doctor want you to go on statins? I wonder why?

Those numbers you posted don't seem high to me--and the proportions seem good, too. If you divide your triglycerides (67) by your HDL (62) you get a ratio of 1.08. And according to this web site Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack, a ratio under 2.0 is ideal. It would seem you're doing fine...check it out before you start taking statins...

Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I have so-called high cholesterol. I probably always had it. Do I worry? Nope! Otherwise all is fine. I have no blockages.

You are aware, aren't you? that your liver makes most of your cholesterol. Only 20% is dietary, so if you are not eating it, it is all of your own making.

My brother as well as a friend used one of the high fibre drinks and it did lower their cholesterol numbers. Brother who had 2 heart attacks is now 80 years old.
Agree. Even my own doctor told me the liver makes almost all our cholesterol, so if you don't eat it your liver will supply it. That is because we NEED our cholesterol. Mine runs high too, a lot higher than yours, OP. However it is normal for those in my lineage (Mediterranean origin). Also, my numbers would have been considered completely healthy and normal by the standards from a couple decades ago - every year the medical association seems to tweak and lower the numbers for what is "healthy" and put more of us on statins.

Healthy diet and exercise are the best avenues to having good health. I also agree that your numbers seem good to me, and you would be doing yourself harm to go on any statins. Even my own doctor isn't forcing the issue with me.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM

126 posts, read 245,019 times
The doctor is giving me 6 months to bring it down on my own, and then she is going to re-test. I'm just nervous about how much I'm really going to be able to bring it down.

I really don't want to go on the statin.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:38 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
High doses of Vitamin B3 Niacin work to lower cholesterol, you should talk to your doctor about it, you will probably need about 1000mg daily, and yes initially you will get niacin flush.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
Quote:
The doctor is giving me 6 months to bring it down on my own, and then she is going to re-test. I'm just nervous about how much I'm really going to be able to bring it down.

you do know you don't have to do what your doctor wants you to do. Right?
If you don't want to go on the statin or any medication a doctor prescribes-just don't do it.
They can make recommendations and prescribe things but more often than not I tell my doc I'm not going to take x,y or z

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:

As long as you're making progress with your numbers, I'd avoid the statins. You can't expect perfect numbers in 6 mths, but with diet and excerise you'll see a change.

Good luck..you can do this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness