Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do any of you take blood thinner medicine?
Yes 22 55.00%
No 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Wise View Post
THIS DRUG IS A KILLER! ALSO GO TO...
Coumadin causes death - [domain blocked due to spam]
Maybe you should follow your own advice and stop giving medical advice when you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Coumadin saves countless lives every year....

Inappropriately used or monitored can it cause harm? Yes...so can ANY medication including aspirin and tylenol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 10,136 times
With all due respect –

Brain bleeding from use of anticoagulant increasing since the 1990s, researchers report. According to an article in the Jan. 9, 2007 issue of Neurology, brain bleeding associated with the blood thinner warfarin -- also known as Coumadin -- increased roughly 500 percent in the 1990s. I have done extensive research into “negative effects of coumadin” since it took my sisters life November 2, 2010. I also found out that if you were to Google, “negative side effects of coumadin”, rather than “negative effects of coumadin”, you get very different information. Try both you’ll see what I mean.

The day after we buried my sister, Sunday, November 6, 2010, I woke early because I could not sleep, thinking “why did my sister have an intracerebral brain hemorrhage, when there was nothing wrong with here”, other than she had been proscribed “coumadin” because doctors thought they may have seen some blood clots in her lungs during a minor wrist operation to reset a bone in her wrist.
When I woke that morning I went straight to the computer (Google) and typed in negative effects of coumadin”, the first thing to pop up at the top[ of the list was;

New Warfarin Side Effects Found: Increased Risk of a Stroke -- a Bleeding Brain Stroke

http://www.healthdiscoveries.net/War...deEffects.html

University of Cincinnati researchers have published a study in the medical journal Neurology, saying that:

Bleeding in the brain, or bleeding strokes, increased fivefold among people who took a widely prescribed blood thinner called warfarin, known by the brand name Coumadin.

The use of this drug, they report, has led to a soaring number of strokes caused by bleeding to the brain -- potentially offsetting warfarin's benefits, ……..

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10641

Anti-clotting drug linked to far higher stroke rate - health - 09 January 2007 - New Scientist

Hemorrhage-related strokes have quadrupled in the past decade, consistent with the rise in expanded warfarin use. I have, in the last month, read study after study and research after research paper, which shows that this drugs negative effect on the human body are simply outweighed by the minimal benefit, as research has shown!

I went so far as to purchase online a study from the University of Cincinnati, which I found at http://www.neurology.org, titled, “Warfarin use leads to larger intracerebral hematomas”, within the cited articles included with the purchase was, “The Challenge of Designing a Treatment Trial for Warfarin-Associated Intracerebral Hemorrhage” (WICH), dated September 25, 2008. This stated clearly;

Warfarin use quadrupled in the united states during the 1990s………. …, as a consequence of increased warfarin use, the incident of anticoagulant-associated intracerebral hemorrhage (AAICH) quintupled during the same period.”

Last edited by L.Wise; 12-03-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

I also have a copy of the New England Journal of Medicine, VOL. 361 NO. 12, dated September 17, 2009, within its pages it clearly states;

The most devastating complication of warfarin therapy in intracranial hemorrhage, especially hemorrhagic stoke. As compared with aspirin, warfarin doubles the risk of intracranial hemorrhage.”

I also found some research into warfarin vs. simple aspirin;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15800226
N Engl J Med.2005 Mar 31;352(13):1305-16.

Comparison of warfarin and aspirin for symptomatic intracranial arterial stenosis.

Moderator cut: too long, 1-2 sentences and link

Taylor, F.C., et al. Systematic review of long term anticoagulation or antiplatelet treatment in patients with non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation. British Medical Journal, Vol. 322, February 10, 2001, pp. 321-26

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-10-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Conclusions: For patients with the acute coronary syndrome who are at low or intermediate risk for bleeding, the cardiovascular benefits of warfarin outweigh the bleeding risks.
Warfarin plus Aspirin after Myocardial Infarction or the Acute Coronary Syndrome: Meta-Analysis with Estimates of Risk and Benefit  Ann Intern Med

Low-intensity warfarin was thus associated with a 48 percent reduction in the composite end point of recurrent venous thromboembolism, major hemorrhage, or death.
MMS: Error

Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Not Looking For A Fight, just attempting to save lives.

Conclusions: For patients with the acute coronary syndrome who are at low or intermediate risk for bleeding, the cardiovascular benefits of warfarin outweigh the bleeding risks.

While this may well be true, this research only studied the cardiovascular benefits of two large studies which provided most of the data, paid for by BIG PHARM companies.

I believe you like to overlook the percentage of danger these drugs create, and are only looking to the benefit with tunnel vision.

Since drugs are known to have risk factors of their own, i.e. bleeding, stoke, and yes even death, the real world natural life risks seem the better bet, in my opinion, after careful research.

Your study you put forth further states;

“The risks and benefits that are probably associated with warfarin therapy are not equally distributed. Patients at the highest risk for recurrent cardiovascular events should derive the most benefit, which may be offset in those with increased bleeding risk.”.

Moderator cut: too long a quote, see above

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-10-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I clicked Yes, because I take 81mg aspirin. Which I presume counts.

Actually, I buy a big bottle of regular generic aspirin for a dollar a ton, and break them into about 3 parts each, and take one. Considering how much crumbles away, I'm getting an average of about 75-100 mg a day. That costs about 50 cents a year.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM

22 posts, read 708,481 times
It's been a few months since anyone posted in this topic but I'd like to add something since not long ago I had an experience, and was JUST put on blood thinner meds as a result (Plavix) - so I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

Short version: They found two blood clots in my leg not long ago, one being "close to" a deep vein, but not quite in it. The doctors had me take daily injections of Arixtra (10mg) for around 20 days, and they have just switched me to Plavix for an unspecified amount of time. I took my first Plavix pill last night, the day after running out of Arixtra, per the doctor's orders. I am not taking aspirin with it. I do realize it's an anti-clotting as opposed to a real blood thinning drug, too.

I had always associated Plavix with heart-related conditions, but the doctor said it is now used for other things, such as preventing/treating leg vein clots as well. On the flip-side, I've found comments made online by doctors who think that Plavix is an "over prescribed" drug that helps some people, but may do more harm than good in others. I've even found articles that suggest that when people go off of Plavix, that their chances of having a heart attack increase significantly for around 90 days after (?!?). I believe I even read something that said in some parts of the world right now, Plavix is the second or third most prescribed drug - that sounds very odd considering all of the diseases that exist... but may add to the argument of it being overly prescribed, too.

My next appointment is in a couple of weeks and of course I'm going to confront the doctor about some of my concerns, and ask several questions, mainly for her to tell me exactly what her goal is by me being on this. This doctor's office is large and always overbooked and they spend minimal amounts of time with each person before moving down the "assembly line" to the next patient. If she doesn't spend the time to answer all of my concerns, I'll find another doctor.

But I would be interested to hear if anyone here has been put on Plavix, who had existing clots in their legs - how that worked out, how long you were on it, any problems, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 921 times
In Sept. of 2015 I suffered a bipolar pulmonary embolism and have been ordered to stay on on Xeralto, (blood thinner) for 6 months. My 6 months will be up in 1 week. Once I finish the meds my doc. wants me to wait an additional week with out any Xeralto, to have some pretty extensive blood work done, including "factor five leiden". Will consuming apple cider vinegar during the next 2 weeks interfere with my blood work? Will it improve my blood thinning function so that I can remain off the meds, or does it depend on the factor five leiden test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness