Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,536,467 times

Advertisements

My doctor of over a decade want to get me off some meds and put on others. I have been on Ambien for many years and he recently switched me to Lunesta. I have also been on Klonopin for several years resulting from anxiety due to situational depression. I am no longer depressed, but get anxiety due to some family situations. I know I am addictied to the sleeping pills. But getting to sleep and staying asleep is important, because sleep deprivation got me into this situation from the beginning.

Anyway he is wanting me on Lexapro which I just took about a half hour ago and it seems to be making me a bit drowsy (I do need to go pick up my granddaughter from school soon)

He wants me off Lunesta and just take a Klonopin at night. I am willing to try this.

One of his arguments for this is all the "Hollywood Kooks" are taking so much perscription drugs and killing themselves and he doesn't want me to follow suit. I take one klonopin and one ambien or now lunesta. He had a student doctor in with him this morning, so I think he was trying to be highly ethical in front of him.

I am not going to over
dose on two pills.

Will the Lexapro continue to make me sleepy? He said it did not matter when I took it, but I am thinking maybe I should have waited until bedtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,991,666 times
It may make you sleepy until you adjust to it. Bedtime might be a choice for now.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,826,071 times
I would take at bedtime always. I have several medications that make me drowsy and the doctors ALWAYS say take them at night.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,764,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
My doctor of over a decade want to get me off some meds and put on others. I have been on Ambien for many years and he recently switched me to Lunesta. I have also been on Klonopin for several years resulting from anxiety due to situational depression. I am no longer depressed, but get anxiety due to some family situations. I know I am addictied to the sleeping pills. But getting to sleep and staying asleep is important, because sleep deprivation got me into this situation from the beginning.

Anyway he is wanting me on Lexapro which I just took about a half hour ago and it seems to be making me a bit drowsy (I do need to go pick up my granddaughter from school soon)

He wants me off Lunesta and just take a Klonopin at night. I am willing to try this.

One of his arguments for this is all the "Hollywood Kooks" are taking so much perscription drugs and killing themselves and he doesn't want me to follow suit. I take one klonopin and one ambien or now lunesta. He had a student doctor in with him this morning, so I think he was trying to be highly ethical in front of him.

I am not going to over
dose on two pills.

Will the Lexapro continue to make me sleepy? He said it did not matter when I took it, but I am thinking maybe I should have waited until bedtime.
I though sleeping pills are for once in a while. I didn't know that you could have them prescribed for regular use. I thought they were all addictive. Klonopin is supposed to be a short term medication because it is also addictive.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,726,212 times
Well I understand your pain. Sleeping pills are for occasional use, but, taking Ambien CR myself I find it hard to not take the Ambien much because I worry about not taking it and since it is the long acting if I don't allow seven to eight hours for it to get out of my system I can't take it or I will still have it in my system. Klonopin is also quite addictive and you don't want to be taking that all the time and the more you take it you will find that you just have to take ever increasing doses. It is quite easy to get addicted to this. This being said I work in a pharmacy and I have customers who have taken these benzos for twenty years or more and I'm sure are quite addicted without even knowing it. In the past I think doctors prescribed this stuff way way to easy. A long time ago I went to the doctor to ask about SADD and and some sort of light therapy and after talking to the doctor for less than one minute she told me she knew nothing about light therapy but she would be happy to prescribe me xanax (very similar to Klonopin) and Prozac. I said know which much as I could use Xanax on many days I am better of without it. Good luck with your meds though frequently the side affects of SSRIs are supposed to go away although I don't want to mess with my brain personally any more than I have with Topamax and Ambien.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,733,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post

I am not going to over
dose on two pills.

Very often doctors will swap out different meds due to the body either building a tolerence to the med or the body growing dependent on the med or both. Either way the med isn't doing the desired job anymore.

So my advice is trust your doctor on this one and roll with his choices.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:26 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,536,467 times
I am going to do just that. I made it throught the night...somewhat fitfull sleep. I will take the Lexapro at night along with the klonopin. Maybe in time I can elliminate the klonopin. I do hate being on prescription drugs...I wish the melatonin worked for me as with some people. I did try a bedtime tea and that seemed to relax me. The body is tired and wants to sleep, but the mind is trying to solve every problem surrounding me.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,559,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Very often doctors will swap out different meds due to the body either building a tolerence to the med or the body growing dependent on the med or both. Either way the med isn't doing the desired job anymore.

More likely that there is new evidence from research available or someone has just sued the ass of an MD for prescribing highly addictive meds longterm.

Side effects from SSRIs will lessen tremendously after a while. I was in a fog first day I took them(very low dose), plus had palpitations and no appetite at all.Just wanted to sleep. Settled after a week.I would recommend taking them at night.
If you are feeling drowsy you shouldn't drive.

The oneI was is the SSRI of choice for the elderly. Heaven knows how they cope with initial side effects especially if they live alone.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,733,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
More likely that there is new evidence from research available or someone has just sued the ass of an MD for prescribing highly addictive meds longterm.
Why so negative to this topic?

While it's true that some doctors "seem" to be in it for the money most are good and decent professionals. This is a case of your experience applying only to you since it's really unfair to paint all doctors with such a broad brush.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Klonopin is highly addictive. Follow your doctor's advice/instructions if you stop taking it. He will adjust your dosages until you are off of it. You probably don't want to go cold turkey on that one.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness