Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times

Advertisements

I got to see an advance screening recently. I'm really not a fan of the man's style in past movies, much to adversarial, preached to his choir far too much. However this time around, he has really changed his tune. He lets his subjects speak for themselves and keeps editorializing and stunts to a lower level (obviously the Gitmo thing was just a stunt....but what do you expect, the guy is a professional goofball).

I went into it thinking it was going to be about the uninsured, but he actually went a different, refreshing direction - the movie was about people who had insurance that were..well...screwed by insurance companies and their omnipresent red tape and policy cancellations for BS reasons. I totally agree with him there, the American insurance companies are running a racket, plain and simple. I am glad someone is publicly exposing them for the sham of an industry they run.

However, I did feel as though he could have shown more of a different side to the health systems in other countries. I felt he may have painted them a little too rosy. He made the British system look like Nirvana.

All in all, it is a good film and I recommend it. I actually really liked his music selection...lots of strings. Barber's Adagio, Canon. etc. I think it comes out this week, I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 PM

206 posts, read 938,951 times
Glad you liked it, I can't wait to go see it. Hopefully this movie will bring about more discussions regarding our healtcare system and more importantly some solutions.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I got to see an advance screening recently. I'm really not a fan of the man's style in past movies, much to adversarial, preached to his choir far too much. However this time around, he has really changed his tune. He lets his subjects speak for themselves and keeps editorializing and stunts to a lower level (obviously the Gitmo thing was just a stunt....but what do you expect, the guy is a professional goofball).

I went into it thinking it was going to be about the uninsured, but he actually went a different, refreshing direction - the movie was about people who had insurance that were..well...screwed by insurance companies and their omnipresent red tape and policy cancellations for BS reasons. I totally agree with him there, the American insurance companies are running a racket, plain and simple. I am glad someone is publicly exposing them for the sham of an industry they run.

However, I did feel as though he could have shown more of a different side to the health systems in other countries. I felt he may have painted them a little too rosy. He made the British system look like Nirvana.

All in all, it is a good film and I recommend it. I actually really liked his music selection...lots of strings. Barber's Adagio, Canon. etc. I think it comes out this week, I'm not sure.
People speak of the healthcare in the UK being free...its not. For those that work, they have a certain amount of money taken from their paycheck to help pay for healthcare.

When I was visiting in the UK, I got pneumonia...they knew I was not a resident of the UK but they treated me for free...I paid like 5 pounds for my perscription but that was it...I was also able to get a timely appointment with the general practitioner in town.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
I am also waiting to see the film.

The health care system in this nation is shameful- and is part of a endemic problem in this country of corporations becoming '1984 like' institutions- where power and money is in the hands of a chosen few-

Health care insurance companies, dug companies are part of an 'oligarchy'-
that seeks maximum profits on the backs of human beings'- some who are frail, weak or having less then then perfect genes.

The health care industrial complex like the oil companies as well as other corporations in this country have never had such unbridled power since the Gilded Age and the roaring 20s.

The conservative movement in this country over the nearly last 40 years have given rise to these conditions- where corporations have total power; and ordinary people are nearly powerless.

Moore exposes one element of what has become of this nation in its effort to compete in a global economy. A nations that does not respect its citizens; and sees them as a financial obligation. Therefore under the corporate conservative ownership society ideology- people currently have to be their own guardians- so the corporations, their CEO's and wealthy shareholders can become rich, and maintain power in the hands of a few.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-27-2007 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
A recent event involving steroids concerns me.

Not to mention many other critical healthcare issues.

<'human beings'- some who are frail, weak or having less then then perfect genes.>

I certainly need to become more informed on health issues. One side of my family derived from an ethnic group that is known for 'hardiness'--cancer runs on that side.

The other side--diabetes.

jmo--External factors play a role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness