Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chociful View Post
Obamacare, you cannot count things that have yet to occur. Unless of course you are

a proven prophet.
Well, the Nobel Peace Prize Committee certainly tried to count things that hadn't occured. lol

How did that work out for those gushing fools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
I kind of disagree with the basic thesis of this kind of study because I don't think that the U.S. has fallen from anything yet. The U.S. is the most powerful nation in the world and as most Americans would agree, might makes right.

If there's anything that could precipitate the country's future fall as the world's only super power, then I'd have to say the downfall of public education will have the most detrimental effect on America's ability to sustain itself as the world's most powerful nation.

I'd say the majority of today's college students are incapable of thinking deeply and of problem solving. Too many seem to think it terms of either...or polar opposites and cannot entertain the idea that there may be more than two sides to any given issue.

I believe the trend in the U.S. is to offer top-notch college preparatory education for the few and privileged and to continue to dumb-down public education. Colleges are no different. It's assembly-line education and most state-supported schools will lower entrance requirements in the near future so as to expand their "customer" base. This is entirely problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History