Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times

Advertisements

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
April 29, 2111

Presidential Proclamation--Jewish American Heritage Month

Since before our Nation's founding, America's shores have been a safe harbor for people seeking shelter, hope, and new lives free from persecution. Here, people of all faiths have broken bread, come together, and built a better future for their families. The Jewish story is intertwined with the American story one of overcoming great hardship, and one of commitment to building a more just world. This month, we embrace and celebrate the vast contributions Jewish Americans have made to our country.

Seeking a brighter future, a small band of Jewish refugees came to this land more than three centuries ago, to a place called New Amsterdam. Hundreds of years later, as Holocaust survivors and families caught behind the Iron Curtain made their way to America, their perseverance in the face of unimaginable tragedy inspired the world and proved that the Jewish people will not be defeated. Many endured bigotry even here, reminding us that we must continue to fight prejudice and violence at home and around the globe. In this spirit, President Truman recognized the small, fledgling nation of Israel within minutes of its creation. To this day, we continue to foster an unbreakable partnership with Israel, and we remain committed to pursuing peace in the region and ensuring Israel's security.

From those first days in New Amsterdam, Jewish Americans have dedicated their innovation, creativity, and hearts to the greater good contributing scientific accomplishments, pioneering works of literature and musical genius, and performing distinguished service in our Nation's military. Jewish Americans have defended our country since the days of the American Revolution as devoted service members and chaplains, and they continue to serve with distinction in our Armed Forces.

Nearly 70 years ago, during World War II, the U.S.A.T. Dorchester suffered an explosion at sea while carrying almost a thousand soldiers and civilian workers. On board were four Army chaplains two Protestant, one Catholic, and one Jewish. While the ship sank, the four chaplains gave their own life jackets to four men without any, calmed the wounded, and preached strength to the survivors, linking arms and praying together as the ship submerged. In a time of great need, these chaplains showed that their shared commitment to the lives of others was stronger than any division of faith or background.

This same spirit is found in the countless Jewish Americans who, through their every day actions, work to provide a better life for future generations by joining hands with all who seek equality and progress. This month, we remember that the history and unique identity of Jewish Americans is part of the grand narrative of our country, forged in the friendships and shared wisdom between people of different faiths.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2011 as Jewish American Heritage Month. I call upon all Americans to visit Jewish American Heritage Month to learn more about the heritage and contributions of Jewish Americans and to observe this month with appropriate programs, activities, and ceremonies.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-ninth day of April, in the year two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fifth.

BARACK OBAMA

Source:
Presidential Proclamation--Jewish American Heritage Month | The White House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I wonder if the Holocaust Memorial Day was the first day of the month this year had anything to do with it? Or that Israel's Memorial Day & Independence Day also fall in this month?
My guess is that it's because Shavuot (shuh-VOO-oht, Lev. 21:15-16, 21), celebrating the day when G-d gave the Jewish people the Torah (the Five Books of Moses) following Moses' descent from Mount Sinai in 1310 BCE, generally occurs in May on the civil calendar.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
My guess is that it's because Shavuot .....
Nope. Its in June this year.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Nope. Its in June this year.
I know; but, Jewish American Heritage Month has been on the books since, at least, Clinton or the first Bush, as I recall.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Its in Memorial.

Jewish American Heritage Month: A Research Guide ? Law Library of Congress

Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I realize this was proclaimed prior to killing Bin Laden, but the timing is terrible. He knew they were close to getting Bin Laden when he did this. What was he thinking? Big mistake.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I know; but, Jewish American Heritage Month has been on the books since, at least, Clinton or the first Bush, as I recall.
Perhaps each president has to re-proclaim?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I wonder when there is going to be a Muslim Heritage Month.
There is a Arab American Heritage Month in April.

The Online Office of Representative Steve Rothman - Congressman Rothman

Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Could this be politically motivated?
As per the posting by NeilVA, Jewish American Heritage Month: A Research Guide ? Law Library of Congress, Jewish American Heritage Month has been on the books since 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History