Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times

Advertisements

Two things about this sicken me (besides the obvious); even now, ships today still don't have the accomodations needed to save a ship-full of people. Also, the ongoing unnecessary judgment of poor people by people who think they're better than them, or heck even their own kind. All those lives lost needlessly, my gawd! And my great aunt told me she never watched the movie or anything because "why would anyone want to be reminded of it"?

If you ask me, there should be a billboard in every country with a picture of the underwater ship that says "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ARROGANCE AND GREED TAKE PRESENCE!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Anyone remember The Onion's take on this event..from their "Our Dumb Century" book:
What can I say? Only The Onion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I was on the upper deck eating foo foo shrimp and listening to the musicians serenade us. My husband to be in this life was down in the coal room keeping the thing afloat.
We went to a Titanic exhibition (featuring part of the hull and other things) years ago in Phoenix and we got "tickets" when entering and they were tickets about who you were for that trip I was an upper crusted, ha, woman and he was a lower deck guy. We still laugh about it today.
When I went to an exhibit, I was a first-class person who survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It departed Southhampton on its ill-fated voyage exactly 100 years ago today.
I wasn't even born yet. And yet it still manages to make me unbelievably mad to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was a gangster in my previous life (according to my friends who think it's hilarious that I can't sit with my back to the door), so I must have been out committing some crime or another.
I have some kind of weird memory of being locked in a dungeon somewhere and I swear I can't place that at all in the life I've lived. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
To answer your question: I can only account, for sure, for one of my relatives by marriage - My great grandfather in law was freezing to death in the North Atlantic Ocean, after seeing the titanic sinking with his own eyes.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No where. Heck, my grandparents werent even born then.
I don't think even my great-grandparents were born yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Two things about this sicken me (besides the obvious); even now, ships today still don't have the accomodations needed to save a ship-full of people. Also, the ongoing unnecessary judgment of poor people by people who think they're better than them, or heck even their own kind. All those lives lost needlessly, my gawd! And my great aunt told me she never watched the movie or anything because "why would anyone want to be reminded of it"?

If you ask me, there should be a billboard in every country with a picture of the underwater ship that says "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ARROGANCE AND GREED TAKE PRESENCE!!!"

What can I say? Only The Onion...

When I went to an exhibit, I was a first-class person who survived.

I wasn't even born yet. And yet it still manages to make me unbelievably mad to think about it.

I have some kind of weird memory of being locked in a dungeon somewhere and I swear I can't place that at all in the life I've lived. Weird.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't think even my great-grandparents were born yet...
You have anger issues, man. You're getting mad about a ship sinking a century ago? While you're at it, can you fling out some indignation over the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You have anger issues, man.
Um, no I don't...

Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM

105 posts, read 203,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
It departed Southhampton on its ill-fated voyage exactly 100 years ago today.

Are you a Tortoise by any chance?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
Are you a Tortoise by any chance?
"150, dude! And still young!"

Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times
I always wondered if the guy selling babies and sex changes survived the sinking....

Oh wait, that was Thumbtanic.

Sorry.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No worries. The statute of limitations has elapsed.
There is no statute of limitations for murder. Involuntary manslaughter? Yeah I think you are safe.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My Grandpa was born in 1912 and I was the twinkle in his eye.

I do remember when Bob Ballard found the Titanic; I was in elementary school and quickly became obsessed by it (well, at least when He-Man wasn't on TV ).
Yes - and He-Man was supposedly one of the Masters of the Universe - but I don't recall him retiring to the smoking room with cigars and brandy!

Rose: [whispering to Jack] Now they will retreat into a cloud of smoke and congratulate each other on being masters of the universe. (Titanic - 1997).

Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes - and He-Man was supposedly one of the Masters of the Universe - but I don't recall him retiring to the smoking room with cigars and brandy!

Rose: [whispering to Jack] Now they will retreat into a cloud of smoke and congratulate each other on being masters of the universe. (Titanic - 1997).
Teela never got nekked during the show either... but alas, you can't have everything when you're 8 years old.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 PM

593 posts, read 890,708 times
France
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History