Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:56 PM

77 posts, read 111,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
at least the 80's were about free spirit, unlike the crappy 90's which your precious clinton's are responisble for pushing NAFTA, WTO down our throats, not to mention killed glass steagall.

But the free spirit, happy free sunnyness was predicated on total bull****...it was an illusion. The 80's were anything but those things.

At least the 90's were HONEST about the cynicism of the future and society thru grunge and alot of alternative rock lyrcisisms...which is IRONIC considering the 90's were more free spirited and care-free than the former decade.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentrazemine View Post
But the free spirit, happy free sunnyness was predicated on total bull****...it was an illusion. The 80's were anything but those things.

At least the 90's were HONEST about the cynicism of the future and society thru grunge and alot of alternative rock lyrcisisms...which is IRONIC considering the 90's were more free spirited and care-free than the former decade.
Oh please, the 90's were junk, mean-spirited and crappy, just an illusion, grunge, alternative rock was pathetic except for a few, that decade is where everything started to go downhill and I Blame not only kurt nobrain aka cobain, but also that lame eric nies for the mess that led to the mess of today.

and at least in the 80's it was magical and you get what you want, something the 90's to today don't get.

and I Regret on growing up as a pre-teen and teenager in the 90's.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Grunge and alternative (other than a few) were honest alright, that genre paved the way for most of the pathetic rock you seen in the last almost 25 years, including that douchbag name fred durst and his idiotic band limp bizkit, that band is truly the worst thing that's ever happen to rock, makes the hair metal seem beautiful.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I agree 100%. Not to mention that 80s music in general was just awesome. Can't say the same about 90s music. I was born in 74, and I'll take the 80s over the 90s any day. The over-the-top-ness of the 80s is what made that decade so great. The 90s by comparison were dull and bland, with just a few short-lived trends here and there. In fact, I think I have better memories from the 80s than from the 90s.
that's right, I'll take Motley crue, Poison, Twisted sister anyday of the week over greenday, Silverchair and the most untalented, trashy band ever, Limp Bizkit.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 AM

290 posts, read 259,203 times
Default a tough one

I was born in 1975.

This is a tough one. I spent both the 1980's and the 1990's in Australia. So that has a big influence on my perspective.

The 80's: AIDS beginning, the tragedy of Azaria Chamberlain, Chernobyl, no internet, very very goofy clothing styles [ my God fashion of the 80's makes me cringe]. That was the bad. What was the good? Some great music. The start of MTV. Michael Jackson. Great TV. Magnum PI. Knight Rider with the Hoff. Going to the Royal Melbourne Show and seeing the "Rocketman" - a guy who wore a rocket pack on his back - soar above the arena. Going to watch The Shadows live in concert. Great movies as well. ET. The Dark Crystal. The Neverending Story.

The 90's: The Port Arthur Massacre. The Gulf War. The start of the internet. The death of all music as rap took over. Even some brilliant efforts from say Fuel couldn't stem the hood team tide. Losing all direction with my uni studies.

I think that I have answered for myself. I miss the 80's more. Even the parts that were not good. I will always miss Magnum and Higgins.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Oh please, the 90's were junk, mean-spirited and crappy, just an illusion, grunge, alternative rock was pathetic except for a few, that decade is where everything started to go downhill and I Blame not only kurt nobrain aka cobain, but also that lame eric nies for the mess that led to the mess of today.

and at least in the 80's it was magical and you get what you want, something the 90's to today don't get.

and I Regret on growing up as a pre-teen and teenager in the 90's.

80's weren't magical. AIDS, Reagan, crap fashion, and the residual leftovers of the 70's stagflation isn't remotely magical. And this is coming from someone who was a teenager IN THE 80's.

I'll take the economic prosperity of the 90's, where unemployment was at its lowest in 30 years, a growing real estate market unprecedented from other decades, with awesomely cheap gas prices and the rise of all the home consoles we take for granted over that overly vapid, plastic decade any pick of the period.

Hair metal sucked. It was as overproduced as the crappy pop music that was churned out. Grunge was mean-spirited but honest and was fed up with the over-the-top ridiculousness of cheese.

Get everything you want in the 80's? That's so vague...wtf does that even mean? i can only think of one thing...cocaine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0osMzTZQA

Old 05-28-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent hypnotist View Post
I was born in 1975.

This is a tough one. I spent both the 1980's and the 1990's in Australia. So that has a big influence on my perspective.

The 80's: AIDS beginning, the tragedy of Azaria Chamberlain, Chernobyl, no internet, very very goofy clothing styles [ my God fashion of the 80's makes me cringe]. That was the bad. What was the good? Some great music. The start of MTV. Michael Jackson. Great TV. Magnum PI. Knight Rider with the Hoff. Going to the Royal Melbourne Show and seeing the "Rocketman" - a guy who wore a rocket pack on his back - soar above the arena. Going to watch The Shadows live in concert. Great movies as well. ET. The Dark Crystal. The Neverending Story.

The 90's: The Port Arthur Massacre. The Gulf War. The start of the internet. The death of all music as rap took over. Even some brilliant efforts from say Fuel couldn't stem the hood team tide. Losing all direction with my uni studies.

I think that I have answered for myself. I miss the 80's more. Even the parts that were not good. I will always miss Magnum and Higgins.
most of the 80's will always be classics.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentrazemine View Post
80's weren't magical. AIDS, Reagan, crap fashion, and the residual leftovers of the 70's stagflation isn't remotely magical. And this is coming from someone who was a teenager IN THE 80's.

I'll take the economic prosperity of the 90's, where unemployment was at its lowest in 30 years, a growing real estate market unprecedented from other decades, with awesomely cheap gas prices and the rise of all the home consoles we take for granted over that overly vapid, plastic decade any pick of the period.

Hair metal sucked. It was as overproduced as the crappy pop music that was churned out. Grunge was mean-spirited but honest and was fed up with the over-the-top ridiculousness of cheese.

Get everything you want in the 80's? That's so vague...wtf does that even mean? i can only think of one thing...cocaine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0osMzTZQA
B.S. the economic propersity in the 90's is when the GOP took control of the house and the senate, your precious clinton took us to kosovo and pushed NAFTA & WTO down our throats and other b.s, not to mention that he pushed killed glass steagall (let's face it, both parties do not give a crap about this country)

and grunge was never honest and it paved the way for even worse genres ( alternative, pop punk, emo, etc) in the last almost 25 years to come, I'll take We're not gonna take anymore by twisted sister over that ridiclously idiotic version of faith by limp bizkit, i hated that song and this band was just pathetic just like the rest of the nu metal horsecrap that america have to put up with (I Hated nu metal and always will)
and you can thank Guns N Roses for being the first to put an end to the hair metal genre with welcome to the jungle.

and your precious clinton surplus was a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-GlExX6sqw

he stole from social security.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 PM

At least hair metal they can actually play instruments when you look beyond the hair which is more than i can say for mallcore nu metal which couldn't play a thing to save their lives.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
B.S. the economic propersity in the 90's is when the GOP took control of the house and the senate, your precious clinton took us to kosovo and pushed NAFTA & WTO down our throats and other b.s, not to mention that he pushed killed glass steagall (let's face it, both parties do not give a crap about this country)

and grunge was never honest and it paved the way for even worse genres ( alternative, pop punk, emo, etc) in the last almost 25 years to come, I'll take We're not gonna take anymore by twisted sister over that ridiclously idiotic version of faith by limp bizkit, i hated that song and this band was just pathetic just like the rest of the nu metal horsecrap that america have to put up with (I Hated nu metal and always will)
and you can thank Guns N Roses for being the first to put an end to the hair metal genre with welcome to the jungle.

and your precious clinton surplus was a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-GlExX6sqw

he stole from social security.

First of all, Grunge 'paving the way' for the worst genres isn't the fault of the genre or the brainchilds of the genre itself but the people succeeding it. That's like blaming Karl Marx for the Soviet Union.

Secondly, Limp Bizkit isn't grunge - he's Nu-Metal which is a hybrid of metal and rap music.

Thirdly, most grunge songs have aged far better than over-the-top glam rock.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Has aged MUCH better and is less cheesy than...this:...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIB9Y4OFPs

Fourthly, the surplus wasn't a lie. Statistically you can't deny the economic prosperity of the 90's despite Clinton's Neoconservative approach to Kosovo and other issues. And even if Clinton did ethically ambiguous ***** to facilitate our boom, it ended up working well in the long-run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s_United_States_boom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History