Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What changed the world more?
Fall of the Wall, 1989, Berlin 50 58.82%
Destruction of the WTC, 2001, NYC 35 41.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times

Advertisements

I voted fall of the Berlin Wall, because the question was which changed the World more...
The wall was symbol of the Iron Curtain, it fell as did the Warsaw Pact...entire countries disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM

192 posts, read 256,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP actually does think, like many others, the Berlin wall came down in 1989.
This needs to be changed.
Technically its physical destruction and the unification of Germany were in 1990. But it was opened in 1989 and symbolically, 1989 is the date that people remember.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
The fall of the wall and unification of Germany and several revoulations were all pieces that led to where we are today, that would include the 9-11 attacks.

Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" comes to mind and that was recorded and released in the 80s

Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The fall of the Berlin wall marked the end of the Cold War and the end of the possiblity of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). The Soviet Union could have destroyed the US in less than an hour and could still attempt to do so today (Not likely). The attacks on us by Al Queda could never destroy us so I'm going with the former.

Considering that the same nuclear weapons that were aimed during the Cold War are the same nuclear missiles aimed at that same targets after the "collapse" of the Soviet Union, I'm frankly not all that impressed by the victory. The Russian Federation and the U.S. continue to vie for international hegemony just as they have always done the only thing that has changes is the vitriol in the rhetoric as they pursue those competing interest.

Whenever I hear or read about the defeat of the Soviet Union/Russian Federation I think of Mark Twain.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Considering that the same nuclear weapons that were aimed during the Cold War are the same nuclear missiles aimed at that same targets after the "collapse" of the Soviet Union, I'm frankly not all that impressed by the victory. The Russian Federation and the U.S. continue to vie for international hegemony just as they have always done the only thing that has changes is the vitriol in the rhetoric as they pursue those competing interest.
Thank you.
That's how I see it, but it could have been very different, it didn't have to be this way...

Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM

192 posts, read 256,364 times
Russia still has the bombs, yes.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Technically its physical destruction and the unification of Germany were in 1990. But it was opened in 1989 and symbolically, 1989 is the date that people remember.
No, not the Berlin Wall came down. The Wall came down. And no, contrary to popular believe, the Berlin wall was not the only wall. I've heard this too many times, I just can't ignore this.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 AM

259 posts, read 366,106 times
Hats off to previous threaders for their very interesting history of the linkby East Germany and the occupation and
internal controls by the Soviets. This was a pivotal and significant turning point in history and at least the "temporary"
incompacitating effects on especially Russia. Now get ready for aride you may not believe,acknowledge or find interesting
and thats ok. I felt compelled to share an odd twist on 9/11. Many (not all) of us believe 9/11 and the consequent finan-
cial collapse was God's warning on America and perhaps a red flag for the world? Yeah can ya dig that! (I knew ya could!)
Here in capsule form the case for this God thing . Lets try the events of the past that mimmic the 9/11 senario like a flow chart.
1. In 722 BC an old testament prophet warned the pagan-like Israelites who were sacrificing their first born and living an
amoral lifestyle defying God and worshipping false gods.
2. What has been labelled the first terrorists (Assyrians) not only destroyed those living in Judea/Jerusalam but mutilated
the victims of the attack.
3. Oddly the Assyrians cut down and uprooted the Israelites prized Sycamore trees (fig) just to add insult to injury.
4. The response by the Israelites was defiance . "We will rebuild bigger and stronger (without the need for God)
They cut and moved quarried stone to fortify their walls,towers and buildings.
5. As an added sign of defiance they planted Cedars in the now destroyed Sycamore's .Why? Cedars grow bigger,stronger
and grow to 100 feet!
6. Stop here and lets just look at one passage in scripture (hang in there atheists this won't be too religious (religion isn't
my bag either ) Anyway, my little fluffy lambs let's look at Isiah 9:10 " The bricks have fallen,but we will rebuild with
dressed stone (quarried) the fig trees have been felled ,butwe will replace them with cedars."
7. On 9/11 we all know that the Saudis and one Egyptian (Atta) plunged into the towers and pentagon .
8. As the towers eventally fell a beam dlew into the property of St Pauls Chapel and uprooted an old Sycamore hmmm.
9. At a major ceremony a crane was brought in to plant a replacement with a donated ....Cedar!!
10 Additionally, A quarried stone was commissioned for $14,000 tobe earmarked as a cornerstone for the new tower
(this stone also part of a ceremony to designate it as the "Freedom Stone" to commesorate the lost fire fighters.,
but due to last minute construction alterations could not be used as a cornerstone three levels beneath street level.
11. OOps ! just lost a few "of the lost"! Anyway, The greatest single-day stock market crash inWall Street history took
place on the 29th day of Elul the critical and crowning day of the Hebrew Shemitah (the day when all financial accounts
must be wiped away! On the EXACT biblical day ordained to touch a nations financial realm.

Lets stop and take a breath and allow those interested in more to refer to my next post ....ok I'm a drama nut lol! Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM

259 posts, read 366,106 times
This is a continuation of my earlier post regaring the significance of 9/11 vs the Belin wall (both huge of coarse). The evening of the financial crisis as the sun went down was the beginning og the Tishri (7th month of the Hebrew year) What triggered the crash was the rejection of the largest government bailout in American history 700 billion dollars. 7% of the market was wiped away a drop (get this one!) 777 points! Not done yet. On the final day of the 7th year.Then there is the vow by the government where Daschle and Edwards both read Isiah 9:10 on national TV capping the needed formula or a vow from the defiant nation (they being totally and pathetically clueless that they were reading the very warning on America) My hair stood up so high on my arms you could have braided it!!!! If you want the total story check out The Harbinger by JonathanCahn (it's life changing to many). As a short caveate my wife and I learned that at ground zero a photographer with a zoom saw a lonely opened bible lying in the rubble and snapped a pic before being asked to clear the area. The page in the bible was turned to Isiah 9:10. So dudes and dudesses what might be the next Harbinger for this seemingly unrepented nation? Haven't a clue.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree with SD4020. From an American perspetive, 9/11 had a far more profound impact, where as the fall of the Berlin Wall was mainly a momentous event for Germans and Europeans. However, both certainly had profound worldwide implications, most likely equal but in different ways.
I beg to differ. The fall of the Berlin War signified the end of Cold War which pretty much defined the last half of XX century. The arms race and often violent, although "by-proxy" competition between Soviet Union and the US, shaped both American politics (McCarthyism) but also our economy (military complex) and science (race to the moon).
9/11 was definetely a profound moment, for me it signified the end of America's innocence and the beginning of what we now call the War on Terror yet the end of Cold War still takes precedence from historical perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History