Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,452,403 times

Advertisements

I've been listening to 80's music lately and they make the 80's seem to be a good time economically, politically, etc. what makes those times good of they were truly good? This era always reminds of when CA was the state to be.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,080,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I've been listening to 80's music lately and they make the 80's seem to be a good time economically, politically, etc. what makes those times good of they were truly good? This era always reminds of when CA was the state to be.
Great music, movies and other culture. Kids ran around without a care in the world growing up and people were in better shape.

Some negatives were the start of crack in the major cities, although the drug problem is far worse today. The offshoring of jobs continued so all wasn't perfect

Almost anyone would agree though that the country was in better shape back then though

Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,480,438 times
There was a stock price bubble, which made a lot of people very rich (as so aptly fictionalized in "Wall Street") but led to a big stock-market crash in 1987.

It's also the decade when Republicans discovered the joy of borrow-and-spend budgeting, leading to huge deficits.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,413,413 times
The 1980s were simpler times, but I'm biased, I was a kid back then. I remember music was great and fashion was cool and different and Guess bags and Vans or Converse were all that I wanted in life! Rolling your socks was the popular thing to do, everything was either radical or bogus, cocaine made people dance and made people lots of money on Wall Street and crack made people crazy, Nancy Reagan said to 'Say no to drugs' and I remember waving to Reagan as he drove by my house, Back to the Future and ET were great movies, Garbage Pail kids and Saturday cartoons and playing outside all day, and Happy Meals sometimes came in plastic boats that you could float in water, and things still had a low cost...

But remember, I was just a kid and I'm kinda biased.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Quote:
They were good times. Low unemployment, low inflation, reasonable interest rates, good jobs, and the Space Program was lifting our imaginations to wild speculation. Very exciting times, and great time to be living.

These present times literally SUCK, I'm sorry to say. There isn't anything to excite, nothing to look forward to. All we see is government, government, and more government. Regulations on top of regulations, an abusive EPA and a corrupt administration that only seeks power.

These are not good times.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM

45,557 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Generally the 1980's, after about 1982 or so, ushered in a long period of growth and nearly full employment which, with a couple burps in 1987, 1999 and 2001, continued until 2007. That's one reason why this recession has been so upsetting to the younger generation, they grew up and into adulthood without ever having really experienced an economic downturn, which used to happen about every 3 years.

This period had Presidents of both parties in the White House.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,869,609 times
The 80s were nice and boring, I don't think much of anything happened.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
The 1980s were simpler times, but I'm biased, I was a kid back then. I remember music was great and fashion was cool and different and Guess bags and Vans or Converse were all that I wanted in life! Rolling your socks was the popular thing to do, everything was either radical or bogus, cocaine made people dance and made people lots of money on Wall Street and crack made people crazy, Nancy Reagan said to 'Say no to drugs' and I remember waving to Reagan as he drove by my house, Back to the Future and ET were great movies, Garbage Pail kids and Saturday cartoons and playing outside all day, and Happy Meals sometimes came in plastic boats that you could float in water, and things still had a low cost...

But remember, I was just a kid and I'm kinda biased.
This was a little before the eighties, but close enough to mention: KFC (just "Kentucky Fried Chicken" then) and the Ninty Nine Center ("Two 'finger lickin' good pieces of chicken, roll and cole slaw" for 99 cents!)

And, Wendy's, "Where's the beef?" commercials!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,490,229 times
Quote:
Lived in Detroit during the 80's. By the Ford Rouge Complex, lots of people were out of a job. Across the Rouge River, in Delray, houses were on fire big-time during Devil's Night. I remember the start of the crack epidemic as well. Not good times at all ....at least in my neck of the woods.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,820,289 times
Quote:
Strong Dollar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History