Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times

Advertisements

in the year 2000, all those people that were so sure that the world was going to end then, had to make some major adjustments in their thinking.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
I had heard of a new thing called Bluetooth, but I didn't know what it was or how it was used. I still used a dial-up modem at home.

There was a presidential election that year, but it was surreal. You went to bed on election night not knowing who was prez, woke up the next morning and still didn't know... 30 more days like that before it was decided!!

Life was good for me -- started a new job and could finally afford to travel. Roundtrip airfare from Philly to London was around $350, including all the taxes and fees. Now it's ridiculous. Oh, and nobody cared how many liquids you brought onto an airplane and you never had to take off your shoes at the airport.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
2000: Seemed to be the time when we upgraded to broadband at home. Napster was awesome! I weighed 135 pounds, lol!
2003: Emo music was starting to become popular - Evanescence was/is an awesome band! I quit work and went back to college full time.
2005: HDTVs were booming. I watched my first NFL game in HD - I thought it was the coolest thing ever!
2007ish: Somewhere around there, the travesty of Windows Vista showed its ugly head, thank God Windows 7 came around a few years later to save the day.

Overall, the 2000's for me were, eh! I enjoyed the 90's so much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
the only time in our lifetimes worse than the early 2000's was the late 2000's.

it's sad, but true.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
The term "WiFi" was starting to be tossed around and by 2003 most people who had a computer also had a wireless network in their home.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM

80 posts, read 218,747 times
I was 14 in the year 2000, just starting highschool. Hardly anyone had cell phones at school. Facebook and Myspace weren't as big. I don't know when they started but I only got an account after highschool, I think around 2006 for myspace and 2007 for facebook. Overall the 2000's were just meh for me. The 90's were better. Now I'm one of those 20 somethings with a degree who can't find a decent job.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM

408 posts, read 997,797 times
Homosexuality was less accepted then than now, especially in schools and mainstream TV. I feel "******" has become much less accepted than before as well. I also think there are more discussions about it with regard to inclusion programs and training in "diversity".

We still had dial-up in 2000 until 2001 I believe, and the speed at which I could watch a video was astounding. I was glued to the internet all day I remember then. I do agree with another poster that the internet felt much more wild west than now, much of it still being brought to the masses and experimented on; downloading music is a good example.

In middle school, instant messaging on a desktop was the common method for communication for us, especially through AOL or Yahoo or Trillian. I would take great effort to craft a good "away message". Also, cellphones were rarer and weren't (ab)used like today, in the sense that most people only talked or texted on them. I got my first one in 2002 or 2003 and it was a Nokia 6200. I texted like a fiend on those keys, and touchscreen anything was not common at all in most places.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:10 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
Homosexuality was less accepted then than now, especially in schools and mainstream TV. I feel "******" has become much less accepted than before as well. I also think there are more discussions about it with regard to inclusion programs and training in "diversity".
I remember open homosexuals appearing more on movies and TV more often than in other decades. It really started happening in the mid-late 90's. In the early 90's, I came to know and work with a few open homosexuals for the first time. I'm sure I must have known some before, but back in the 60's, when I was a young adult, they were all firmly in the closet.

I think that their acceptance today came very gradually, and came, in part, from the media. Once out, I think more and more people came to see them as they are, mostly just like the rest of us with many shared concerns and many shared experiences, and the fear of them gradually has faded.

Diversity acceptance has also helped us all a lot as we have become a more diverse nation. Some folks have accepted it passively, others willingly, and others reluctantly, but those discussions you mentioned helped us all, I believe. They were just talking about social facts.

It is going to be very interesting for me to see how it all works out. The last half of the 20th century was a time of deeper societal change than most of us are really aware of, I think, and it only came about slowly. This year seems to be a big tipping point for a lot of societal issues.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 AM

408 posts, read 997,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I remember open homosexuals appearing more on movies and TV more often than in other decades. It really started happening in the mid-late 90's. In the early 90's, I came to know and work with a few open homosexuals for the first time. I'm sure I must have known some before, but back in the 60's, when I was a young adult, they were all firmly in the closet.

I think that their acceptance today came very gradually, and came, in part, from the media. Once out, I think more and more people came to see them as they are, mostly just like the rest of us with many shared concerns and many shared experiences, and the fear of them gradually has faded.

Diversity acceptance has also helped us all a lot as we have become a more diverse nation. Some folks have accepted it passively, others willingly, and others reluctantly, but those discussions you mentioned helped us all, I believe. They were just talking about social facts.

It is going to be very interesting for me to see how it all works out. The last half of the 20th century was a time of deeper societal change than most of us are really aware of, I think, and it only came about slowly. This year seems to be a big tipping point for a lot of societal issues.
You're right, I should have said my thoughts in a different way in that. In particular, I was referring to passing references to it on TV, as well as the formation and maintenance (and openness) of GSA clubs in high schools. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I think the turning point was in 2003 in terms of gay rights, and eventually, "marriage". That summer the Supreme Court in Lawrence v. Texas deemed all state sodomy laws as in violation of the constitution, the hugely popular TV series ***** Eye for the Straight Guy debuted, Massachusetts became the first state to legalize same-sex "marriage", the "lipstick lesbian" fad came into vogue with Madonna kissing Britney Spears, and the "L Word" series debuted on Showtime (albeit 18 days after 2003). There was a huge backlash to all this at the state level in November 2004, with voters in many states that year passing ballot items banning same-sex marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History