Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Desert Storm.
Guess we need to outline some parameters for "impressive". I was thinking "against the odds" or "executed with exceptional skill and bravery" - not so much "World's leading military power taking on a 5th-rate military after a six-month undisturbed logistical build-up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have always wondered just what Boudica must have looked like.... Just one of those thing, with me.

Pretty sure this ain't her.....
Yeah it sure would be kinda cool to actually know what some of the ancient historical characters looked like. That being said Tacitus does give a very brief description of her: ''Boudica was a tall woman with fiery red hair that hung down to her hips, a harsh voice and a piercing glare. She wore a large twisted gold necklace, a many colored tunic fastened by a brooch''.

Tacitus learned about Boudica and the Iceni uprisings from his father-in-law Gnaeus Julius Agricola who was an young roman officer on the staff of General Suetonius back then and so he had first hand accounts of what was happening in Britannia during those years.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Guess we need to outline some parameters for "impressive". I was thinking "against the odds" or "executed with exceptional skill and bravery" - not so much "World's leading military power taking on a 5th-rate military after a six-month undisturbed logistical build-up".
The U.S. won. And saved many lives by taking out an army which would have killed many more than their number - most of whom would have been defenseless civilians.
This seems to cause you some pain, the U.S. whuppin' up on some coward who had it coming. And you seem to sniff at U.S. soldiers when you place your quotation marks around executed with exceptional skill and bravery, as if such qualities did not really exist among those combatants.

Altogether, now to the tune of "My Country 'tis of Thee":
My Country's always wrong,
This is the Libral's song,
A pox on Me......

Land where we should not be,
We should have died at sea,
There is no country worse than we,
A pox on me.....

There's more, but you get the idea.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
The U.S. won.
Immaterial. Not the question asked.
There's more, but you get the idea.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
The U.S. won.
Yes. And Mike Tyson would win if boxing against me, but would it count as an "impressive" victory for him?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM

163 posts, read 249,584 times
Western Europe vs Golden Hordes - no one thinks that was impressive?

They just ran away when they conceivably could have defeated all of Europe.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Here is my list of "most impressive" in no particular order...

1. Battle of Gaugamela

2. Battle of Cannae

3. Battle of Alesia

4. Battle of Teutoburg Forest

5. Battle of Nagashino

6. Battle of Vienna (1529 and 1683)

7. Battle of Blenheim

8. Battle of Austerlitz

9. Battle of Isandlwana

10. Battle of Kursk

Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Quote:
No idea of your background, but as someone said, "if you are getting shot at deliberately, then to you that is a d*** big battle". Having been on the receiving end in Vietnam and having been up front in the dirt in Desert Storm, I can only suggest that you will either have diarrhea or constipation. Not much in between.

I cannot imagine a battle such as WW I and before throughout history where tens of thousands lay wounded and dying or dead; where you could not walk across the battlefield (Shiloh) without stepping on a body.

At the point of the bayonet, the rules and laws don't apply. They are applied by others who seem to avoid the dirty parts of war. No surprise. But what is impressive about battle and war is that the troops don't rise up against their leaders and kill them all and go home.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
I think it was impressive due to how quick it was given the size of the militaries involved.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:49 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Saddam erred in not going on into Saudi Arabia and grabbing it. It was the Saudi airfields and port facilities that enabled the allied build up and that took months. Had he capitalized on the Kuwait invasion, Desert Storm would have been a lot different in many ways. He did not think big enough. Hitler thought too big. Got to find the right balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History