Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times

Advertisements

Something I didnt really know much about, IM reading more about American history on this site.

Introduction . Riding the Rails . American Experience . WGBH | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Unfortunately for the young boy that was me in 1961, I was born with horizons in my head. They are still there, but, thankfully, under control.

Being born in 1945, I was not here for the depression, and if I had been I am sure I would be one of the young hobos of the time. As it was I stole a car in 1960 and headed west at the age of 15. No drivers license. No real idea of where I was going, either. Luckily, a highway patrolman near Eads, Colorado spotted me and put a temporary end to my plans, such as they were. I spent a week in jail while the authorities figured out what to do.

I resumed my journey three years later when I freed myself from familial restraint, which, to be honest, was not great anyway. My shadow ran fast during my 50 years of travel, and has only recently been reattached to my psyche. Marriage helped, but that did not occur until I was 45.

Vagabondry runs in my family. By brother, age 66, is somewhere in South America, and rarely speaks English anymore. My sister hold a New Zealand passport and has visited nearly every continent.

The crushing loneliness spoken of in the article is familiar to me, although not in recent years. I remember having no place to go for Christmas, not knowing anyone in the world, and fending for myself no matter what.

I have been to 49 states and 19 foreign countries. I fought in a war, flew sailplanes, piloted ships, been an auto mechanic, an electronics technician, a sailor, a truck driver, a home inspector, a public speaker, and someone's husband. Life on the road is not for everyone, of course. But there are those of us who understand the appeal completely.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I once read a book to my 7-year old son that referred to riding the rails, and I told my wife that I was going take him down to the tracks and hop a freight, and get off at the first stop and phone her, and she could come and pick us up. She put the kabosh on that idea. Instead, after reading "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", we went down to Mexico and stayed in a cheap flop house overnight in a little Sierra Madre town. He loved it.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Take it from one who has followed the industry all his life; a railroad yard can be a very dangerous place for the uninitiated; fortunately, empty boxcars seldom move with a door open as often as was once the case. Riding on anything else is an even greater invitation to serious trouble, not to mention the possibility of arrest.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:15 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Take it from one who has followed the industry all his life; a railroad yard can be a very dangerous place for the uninitiated; fortunately, empty boxcars seldom move with a door open as often as was once the case. Riding on anything else is an even greater invitation to serious trouble, not to mention the possibility of arrest.
We patiently waited for the trains that passed by our street at a leisurely 5 MPH so we could throw rocks at them. One day, at school, we saw a film about a brakeman that had been struck in the eye by a rock that came through the caboose window. We never threw rocks at a train again.

We also used to yell "chalk" as the caboose passed by, and sometimes we would be rewarded with one or two sticks, which were used to mark the bases in the street for our ballgames.

At the age of eight I was introduced to hopping a freight train by my teenage neighbor. He regularly rode the rails to visit his girlfriend on the other side of the city. One day when I was showing my friends how to jump into a boxcar, a giant of a man with a shotgun suddenly appeared and fired at us as we ran down the slope, striking my buddy Denny in the butt and thighs with a load of rock salt. That ended my riding the rails days.

During the Korean War flatcars would roll on by carrying tanks, and it was very tempting to hop aboard but, as you said, that could have led to serious trouble.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:34 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times
Woody Guthrie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
It is probably still true (it was when I was there) that people if Africa commonly ride on railway cars. It is generally referred to as "fourth class", it's free and railroad officials normally do not try to regulate or prohibit it. There were always a lot of people riding on the roofs of passenger cars, and on freight cars. Riding the ore cars from the mines to the coastal ports was the only way to get through Mauritania, which had no road.

Of course it was dangerous, lots of people dozed off on the long boring rides, and fell off the train -- it was considered imperative to tie yourself on somehow. On some notorious African trains, riding on top was not necessarily less comfortable than riding inside third class, which I did on three different train trips of over 36 hours.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times
I have always been fascinated by this subject. I wish this thread had drawn more comment. I had a brother who ran away from home around 14-15 and became a wanderer all of his short life. A tragic story in and of itself. But he tried the rail cars, then stayed with hitch hiking until he was able to get some rattle trap old trucks to travel around in. He never failed to stop and help a stranded motorist or offer a ride to a hitch hiker. If he had been born 20 years earlier (born in 1936), he would have been a staunch rail rider, I think.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,333,539 times
This is a pretty good movie about riding the rails during the depression.

Emperor of the North Pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like they still give free rides here.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:24 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
I've read some books about riding the rails but I am looking for more. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History