Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Interesting one! I'd have the feeling it would take 50's individuals a bit to 'adjust' to our society now. I'd say the notion of 'convention' and 'conformity' and the kind of historical opinion that goes around these days would seriously challenge their mindset. They'd probably be baffled at the sarcasm aimed at them for believing in mom, apple pie, the suburbs and red and white tablecloths and why they disliked communists, beatniks and movies showing hints of sex .Don't worry people would let'em know it!.....;-)....
I don't know if I'd call our culture one of "malevolence"... after all, real-world 1950's America was no stranger to violence. You've gotta remember most of those men were only a few years out of service in the most horrible war the world had ever seen; even the old men still had memories of the trenches. Any person in the 50's knew their day had a fair chance of ending in a nuclear inferno too. 50's "machismo" was strongly embedded in culture too; any man worth his salt was able to put up a good fight and not whine about experiencing a little hardship.

I'd bet if someone dug up the actual stats we'd find today's world is actually less violent per capita than the 50's were. A culture's fantasies are a window into what they wanted to be like, not what they actually were like.

I don't know if anybody here has read any of the many 20th century centenial books and book series that are out there... the one's that go decade by decade.

What strikes me as interesting is how a decade is defined by earth-shaking real-life events which happened in that decade (wars, protests, economic distress or success, violence, great inventions, ect) all the way until about the 1980's, when suddenly TV shows, movies, celebrities, sports and entertainment subjects dominate.

I think the average 1950's person would be confused and disturbed to find out everyone today spends most of their time living in a fantasy world instead of the real one.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:52 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
They would ask: "What happened to Johnson's Woods at the edge of town? It was so beautiful." Now it is a ugly run down piece of concrete and a dying shopping center with most of the stores closed.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 10-10-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
they would be overwhelmed by all the convenient food and places to eat and shop, the super malls are like little cities

shocked by the large number of homeless people and all the free money and benefits they get from the government just for being a bum

wonder why so many people are on disability for something that would not qualify as a disability back in the 50's

they would notice they have a lot of leeches in our society and people have become more lazy & useless

Old 10-10-2013, 02:38 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Honey Boo Boo!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Just how little human beings have evolved ethically and socially.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
What I suspect they might find disturbing is the weakening of the "American consensus" which emerged, albeit in many local variations, after the Depression and World War II.
I do so love 50's mythology... I call it the too much Leave it to Beaver Syndrome.

The fifties... The House Un-American Activities Committee, black list, witch hunts for Communist....The Rosenburg Trial... The Cutler Murders... the resurgence of the Civil Rights movement... Armed Troops sent to Little Rock to integrate Central High School... it was an idyllic time in American history.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'd bet if someone dug up the actual stats we'd find today's world is actually less violent per capita than the 50's were.
The murder rate today is lower than it was in 1960. Other violent crimes are higher, though.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, change is gradual. So if an adult was magically transported from 1950 to 2013, what amazing things would they marvel at that we have been inured to over a period of decades?

1) Space probes that had left the solar system and footage from the moon missions.
2) Long distance telephone calls that are free.
3) Vivid, incredibly sharp color television bringing literally hundreds of channels to one's living rooms.
4) The computer, duh.
5) The internet, allowing you to instantly look up just about anything on any subject imaginable.
6) The mobile phone, which lets do just about anything from any place in the developed world.
7) The unbelievable progress of modern medicine, from antibiotics to genetics to treatments for cancer.
8) The microcircuit and its ubiquity.
9) The sheer ease of transportation.
10) The elevation of women and minorities in terms of equality and economic choices.
11) The wildly metastasizing amount of information.
12) The incredible diversity in the arts.
13) The liberated attitudes towards any number of things.
14) The physical size of the average person.
15) The youthful appearance of those would have been previously been considered middle aged.
16) The agonizing death of newspapers.

And that's just the beginning.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The President is a Negro.

There are three women on the Supreme Court.
WHAT?????????????? How is that possible?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 PM

317 posts, read 576,573 times
The fact that you cant beat your wife anymore and women are allowed to vote and work in careers other than nurse and teacher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History