Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Columbus had people stationed at La Navidad and La Isabela on Hispaniola so that was his base. The Spanish and Columbus probably were aware of what the Portuguese were up to -- Vasco de Gama reached Calcutta in 1498 by sailing around Africa. Calcutta, Cuba and Hispaniola are almost at the same latitude and Columbus was finding things that made him think he was in the right neighborhood. He was where wanted to be -- he didn't know the Pacific Ocean even existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:47 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Why did Columbus turn around after discovering Southwestern Cuba on his 2nd Voyage?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Christopher Columbus, sincerely believed the islands and parts of Central America and Venezuela he discovered were the large Islands off the Eastern shore of Asia (or the East Indies). The rich lands of Asia (ie. China and India) lay just a little farther to the West. But Columbus was wrong. This is why it was left up to an Italian Map maker Amerigo Vespucci who probably never set eyes on this new world to recognize it was not the East Indies but a new continent which he drew on his new map . He chose to call it America for obvious reasons.
It is rather ironic that our nation is named after some map maker hundreds of years ago....

U.S. = "The United Countries of random Italian map maker"

Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
He traveled 4 times from Spain in search for a Western route to Asia yet he keeps hanging out in the same places. Why didn't he sail South after discovering South America (Venezuela) on his 3rd trip?
I would have a lot more respect for him if he completed his original mission.

Hot women?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
To get another load of Ganja.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
I have no respect for this man at all.. He raped pillaged and committed genocide all for gold. I can't see how anyone who reads his journals can not be sick to their stomach.... The Carib Indians gave him shelter food and their daughters... He gave them the sword and slavery ..

Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
^
You know I believe Columbus was a product of his time especially in beliefs on 'peoples'. We have to remember that he was working on many rigid assumptions of what he could expect on his voyages to the 'Indies' when it came to meeting other 'cultures'. One assumption was that he being 'European' was superior to whatever he would come in contact with.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
To get another load of Ganja.
LOL.. I was gonna post the same thing.......

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I have no respect for this man at all.. He raped pillaged and committed genocide all for gold. I can't see how anyone who reads his journals can not be sick to their stomach.... The Carib Indians gave him shelter food and their daughters... He gave them the sword and slavery ..
He did the same things that every "explorer" has done throughout history. The entire history of the human race is a series of one group pillaging another. We're still doing it today.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
You have to understand that people today are a thousand times more meek and civilized than even 100 years ago. The idea of invading a foreign land and slaughtering women and children wouldn't even have phased someone in his days, and even today there are groups that still do that. However in our minds we see that such an act is cruel. We read history through the lens of our current viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History