Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

My great grandmother (white) was brought to this country when she was 4 years old. She was an orphan and was "employed" by a wealthy family. Her job was to rock the cradle of the family's baby. Her daughter, born in 1908 left school at the age of seven to work and help support the family. My mother left school and started working when she was 15 because of the Depression.

You hear those stories and know you have it dead easy by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Awhile back I stumbled over something I had never heard about, orphan trains. They would take orphans from the streets of urban cities and ship them out to rural families. Some 200,000 children were sent out to the farms. In a way this was very tragic:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3402800310.html (broken link)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Life was tough then. I'm glad it's better and thankful. My grandfather left school at the age of 13, lied about his age to get a job driving a truck - he was hungry and so were his mother and infant brother. He went to school on and off through the years. He was a truck driver until his retirement at the age of 62. After he was released from the military (drafted during WWII at the age of 15) he had his age "corrected".

But I don't think anyone should be comparing those children's lives with today's union members, making $30/hr and striking because getting only 9 weeks of paid leave a year is just 'unfair and exploitive'.

Sometimes the pendulum swings way too far in the opposite direction.

The orphan trains were also used during WWII to help save some of the Jewish children. I saw the most disgusting documentary on it a couple of years ago - those now grown children complaining that they'd been used as servants, rather than being treated as beloved family members - meanwhile, millions of Jewish children that weren't 'abused' in this manner were sent to concentration camps to starve to death, be the subject of cruel and inhumane medical experiments or be gassed to death.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The orphan trains were also used during WWII to help save some of the Jewish children. I saw the most disgusting documentary on it a couple of years ago - those now grown children complaining that they'd been used as servants, rather than being treated as beloved family members - meanwhile, millions of Jewish children that weren't 'abused' in this manner were sent to concentration camps to starve to death, be the subject of cruel and inhumane medical experiments or be gassed to death.
Yeah, that's kind'a like a robbery victim complaining about being robbed when they should be thankful they weren't raped and murdered eh?

INGRATES!

Ken

Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,404 times
yeah is interesting how children action thought their parent and how they speck to them and treat them too

Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
0.o

Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 PM

313 posts, read 324,719 times
Things were different back then. It is really hard to relate to them. My grandfather and grandmother got married when she was 14 and he was 15. They raised 16 children on a farm. This family worked from sun up to sun down. My dad only went to sixth grade and worked everyday since then and he still works. He appreciated every job he ever had because it was one more dollar to something better. He hates unions and still has nothing good to say about them. Lets just say nothing i can repeat on here. My dad had me working at 10 and i think it made me a better person and instilled good work ethics in me. Kids now a days think hard work is getting to level 10 on a game.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Thanks for sharing those photos. My grandpa worked in a coal mine in PA as a little boy. He worked in factories as a teen and young adult. His dad was a coal miner and he died when my grandpa was young. To help support his family, grandpa went to work in the coal mines. It was a hard life back then. My grandpa was a hard worker his entire life.

He is an amazing man..thanks for sharing that with us

Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Life was tough then. I'm glad it's better and thankful. My grandfather left school at the age of 13, lied about his age to get a job driving a truck - he was hungry and so were his mother and infant brother. He went to school on and off through the years. He was a truck driver until his retirement at the age of 62. After he was released from the military (drafted during WWII at the age of 15) he had his age "corrected".

But I don't think anyone should be comparing those children's lives with today's union members, making $30/hr and striking because getting only 9 weeks of paid leave a year is just 'unfair and exploitive'.

Sometimes the pendulum swings way too far in the opposite direction.

My uncle left home at 13 he had to hide. He is spanish. The story is he had gotten into a fight with a white guy and a knife pulled on him my uncle took the knife away and stabbed the guy , so the hunt was on for him..He was the oldest of my grandmas's kids, he knew if he was caught he would go to prison so thats when he fled at 13, he went into the army at 15 he served in wwii..along with his brother who was drafted..my mom was a baby when her brother left she finally met him 30 years later..
We had so many kids fighting for our country back then...thats when they had to grow up fast and become men..
I recently went to Garden City, Ks..and my Uncles were in the history museum..I was so proud

Thanks to all the brave kids who became men back then.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
If kids today were paid to sit at home, play video games and watch t.v. all day, and fatten themselves on junk food, imagine how irate the "child welfare advocates" would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History