Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
I have always wondered about this. My grandfather who has since passed was involved in Iwo Jima and he told me he took a sword from a dead Japanese and kept it for many years but gave it away to a friend a long time before he told me. I never really thought much of it but while I have heard of soldiers taking things from soldiers they have killed and now would most definitely not be allowed, back during WWII could, say a U.S soldier that killed a Japanese really just take their sword or gun and take it back home as a souvenir without much question?
What do you think was going to happen with any valuables on various "war dead"? What military men didn't take off corpses or nearly dead the "mopping up" who came behind them to care for the wounded bury the dead or just to steal would take.

The history of looting (souvenir) taking goes back almost to the first standing armies.

Military men have rarely been well compensated however if victorious there was always the possibility of loot and other goodies that made up for some of the difference. Wars are messy and nasty things on both the military and often the populace. Looting, pillaging, raping, enslavement and other excesses are just part of warfare. You can of course issue orders and make examples to keep things to a minimum, but again things are what they are. Even the famed "stiff upper lipped" British military had their share of issues with looting and rape during and in the aftermath of WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:16 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Souvenirs hah - that's nothing....

This is where the action is
Stock Markets, Business News, Financials, Earnings - CNBC

In WW2 context.... (courtesy of Metro Goldwyn Mayer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtBP6M8H4Y

Old 10-25-2015, 11:36 PM

888 posts, read 806,100 times
My grandpa acquired a sword from a dead German soldier in WWII. Seems to be the thing are we sure there isn't some store over there selling these?

Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I've a fondness for pithy quotes, and like to source them.

All this in the heart of a bitter war. It's a funny world. As one of our gun crew remarked, "The Germans fight for Glory, their cities, and their homes. The Americans fight for souvenirs." -- Ernie Pyle, December 24, 1943.

Not saying that Pyle originated the quote, just that he reported it.
Well, I hear the Taliban and other similar factions have been known to booby trap trinkets and such with IEDs, so that seems to be one obstacle to it nowadays.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:57 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
You go to antique shops and some will have artifacts from war that did not come from America , and some are illegal to sell in other nations

Old 10-26-2015, 06:09 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As the thread continues, remember it has a specific topic. It's not about race or whatever it is some of you are trying to turn it into. Keep calm and respectful.
Yac.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, I hear the Taliban and other similar factions have been known to booby trap trinkets and such with IEDs, so that seems to be one obstacle to it nowadays.

Probably by most any retreating army.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:52 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
I "liberated" a Tokarev pistol from a captured NVA officer after he tried to kill me with it. It is my only war souvenir from Viet Nam.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Here is my memory of how many of the souvenirs where gathered near the end of WW ll. A jeep with soldiers would roll into a small town and talk to the local official. The town was told to make a white flag of surrender visible. Almost everyone hung out bed sheets. The locals had to bring all cameras, guns, knifes, helmets or other weapons to the town center. Everything that had a swastika, a nice camera, or good shotgun was confiscated, everything else the farmers could keep. So every time I hear how grandpa got this nice souvenir I smile a little.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:01 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Not exactly souvenir hunting, but this topic reminded me of a story I once read. When Japan surrendered, the senior officers were compelled to give up their swords to their American opposite numbers. Thus, Admiral Soemu Toyoda, the commander of Combined Fleet, had to give his up to Admiral Chester Nimitz. Years later, Nimitz decided that this particular "souvenir" meant more to its original owner than it did to him, and so he arranged to give it back.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2065359&hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History