Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
The 1st generation freedman Frederick Douglas (in a back handed complimentary way) commented on how fugitives from the plantation civilization would sometimes find sanctuary with the Aboriginals.

One must remember that the Indian Removal act expulsed the Aboriginals (at least those not in collaboration with the plantation) west of the Mississippi in order to make room for the plantation.

After the Civil War not only was the Black Codes enacted but all Aboriginals were ordered to be confined to reservations or else, so there was literally another war going on out in the West.

Fugitives from the plantation civilization also went westward and this film heroine reflects that (I believe the actress actually is of Afro-American & Aboriginal descent).

Mods, this seems to be an example of historical fiction, which can also be used for educational & academic purposes, so its related to the over all theme of the thread.

Youtube: Posse Official Trailer #1 - Tommy 'Tiny' Lister Movie (1993) HD
Not quite - the main driving force for the Cherokee Removal was the discovery of gold in Dahlonega, Georgia, near the heart of the Cherokee Nation. This was an area of small farmers, both white and Indian, prior to (and after) the Georgia gold rush. Other eastern Indians - Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek, and some Seminoles (who with the Cherokee were collectively known as the "Five Civilized Tribes") - were also ordered west to Indian Territory, later the Oklahoma Territory and now the state of Oklahoma around the same time. Although Andrew Jackson, president at this time, had an adopted Indian son, he also had a lengthy history of fighting Indians and was known to be very anti-Indian in his views.

Some Cherokees, known as the Old Settlers, had voluntarily moved to Arkansas prior to the Trail of Tears.

There were Indian wars in both the east and west prior to the Removal Act - the Creek wars in Alabama also drove the removal. But by the time of the Trail of Tears, the Cherokees were quite "civilized", with small farms, schools, churches, legal system, a print newspaper using the Cherokee syllabary invented by Sequoyah, and had few clashes with the white settlers living nearby. Intermarriage was not uncommon. Those with mixed origins were also forced out of their homes during this tragic time, unless they could disguise their Indian heritage (as many did, including some of my family).

Whites were free to legally marry Indians living in the Indian Territory, and could become tribal members in this way. Many native Oklahomans have these roots. Several of my great aunts and uncles married into a family which was of mixed origin, Cherokee and Scottish ancestry, in what was then the Oklahoma Territory and neighboring western Arkansas, in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Before and after the time of the American Revolution, there were numerous fur trappers and traders, often of French or Scottish origin, who had Cherokee wives in the Upcountry. Seminoles often sheltered runaway slaves and intermarriage was not uncommon with them, either.

There's not really one answer to this question. There were probably as many stories as there were individuals involved with people of different origins and races, just as is the situation today. Sadly, some were cases of coercion - but that was never true for all situations. There were love matches, marriages or unions of convenience, spontaneous "summer romances", unions for wealth or power...just as there are today.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:13 AM

467 posts, read 352,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
It was illegal in some states for whites to marry blacks. The children of such unions could face discrimination and it would be unlikely that the white father would publicly acknowledge the child. If it was a case of white woman, black male it could led to riots. Basically marriage would be out of the question except closer to the civil rights movement in the northern states and as late as the 70ies it could get ugly in the south.

Now as for black woman, white man that arrangement would occur for various reasons(i.e. power, prostitution, love) but marriage was out of the question.
Did you actually read the question? "after the Civil War and before the Civil Rights Movement?" Marriage was NOT out of the question and did occur. When I was a seventh-grader in Newark NJ in the late fifties, a classmate and friend of mine was the son of a white Italian man and a black woman. In fact, his father broke an unwritten color line for housing when he rented or purchased a house above Bergen Street, which had been the border at that time.

Anyway, there certainly were mixed marriages before the civil rights movement. My classmate was likely born in 1944.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:01 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the mechanics of sexual relations. My question is how did blacks and whites reproduce together after slavery and before the Civil Rights Movement, roughly from 1865 and 1965. What were the social arrangements and situations that led to it? Did they have nuclear families? If so, how was it done since interracial marriage was outlawed?
Actually, interracial marriage was legal in almost all Northern U.S. states ever since 1887.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Did you actually read the question? "after the Civil War and before the Civil Rights Movement?" Marriage was NOT out of the question and did occur. When I was a seventh-grader in Newark NJ in the late fifties, a classmate and friend of mine was the son of a white Italian man and a black woman. In fact, his father broke an unwritten color line for housing when he rented or purchased a house above Bergen Street, which had been the border at that time.

Anyway, there certainly were mixed marriages before the civil rights movement. My classmate was likely born in 1944.
Yeah, interracial marriage was legal in almost all Northern U.S. states ever since 1887.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yeah, interracial marriage was legal in almost all Northern U.S. states ever since 1887.
It was legal in many Midwestern states and territories before 1887.

As stated above, I am from Ohio and many of my 3rd and 4th great grandparents who were free people of color, moved to Ohio and Michigan from NC and VA between 1800 and 1840 due to there being no miscegenation laws or black codes that would make them automatically a slave based on ethnicity or subject to fees/taxes just for being free and black.

I also do a lot of historical research of my local area and I have transcribed census records from 1840 to 1880 of all the free people of color who lived in my area and there were 3-10 interracial couples on each census. Most of the blacks who married whites in my area married a German or Irish person who was an immigrant to our area. One was a black man from Canada who married a white woman from Michigan.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:22 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Not quite - the main driving force for the Cherokee Removal was the discovery of gold in Dahlonega, Georgia, near the heart of the Cherokee Nation. This was an area of small farmers, both white and Indian, prior to (and after) the Georgia gold rush. Other eastern Indians - Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek, and some Seminoles (who with the Cherokee were collectively known as the "Five Civilized Tribes") - were also ordered west to Indian Territory, later the Oklahoma Territory and now the state of Oklahoma around the same time. Although Andrew Jackson, president at this time, had an adopted Indian son, he also had a lengthy history of fighting Indians and was known to be very anti-Indian in his views.

Some Cherokees, known as the Old Settlers, had voluntarily moved to Arkansas prior to the Trail of Tears.

There were Indian wars in both the east and west prior to the Removal Act - the Creek wars in Alabama also drove the removal. But by the time of the Trail of Tears, the Cherokees were quite "civilized", with small farms, schools, churches, legal system, a print newspaper using the Cherokee syllabary invented by Sequoyah, and had few clashes with the white settlers living nearby. Intermarriage was not uncommon. Those with mixed origins were also forced out of their homes during this tragic time, unless they could disguise their Indian heritage (as many did, including some of my family).

Whites were free to legally marry Indians living in the Indian Territory, and could become tribal members in this way. Many native Oklahomans have these roots. Several of my great aunts and uncles married into a family which was of mixed origin, Cherokee and Scottish ancestry, in what was then the Oklahoma Territory and neighboring western Arkansas, in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Before and after the time of the American Revolution, there were numerous fur trappers and traders, often of French or Scottish origin, who had Cherokee wives in the Upcountry. Seminoles often sheltered runaway slaves and intermarriage was not uncommon with them, either.

There's not really one answer to this question. There were probably as many stories as there were individuals involved with people of different origins and races, just as is the situation today. Sadly, some were cases of coercion - but that was never true for all situations. There were love matches, marriages or unions of convenience, spontaneous "summer romances", unions for wealth or power...just as there are today.
Of course there were many Pocahontas, not disputing that.

The plantation generations & the musta'afarangi, the mezo-ferengi; crabs & slaves.

Massahs' favorites.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I posted earlier, slaves & freedmen of all colors intermarried in Aqsa.

Quote:
After some further digging Sefardi elches (p. 201 Lempriere) seemed to intermarry often with "Negroes" (see A Tour from Gibraltar to Tangier by William Lempriere, p. 342 ).
Marrano did not JUST refer to the descendants of Iberian Sefaradi Jews, even as late as the time of Florio (Queen Anna's New world of words, pg. 300 definition of Marrano); Sebastian de Covarrubias also defined Moriscos as Marranos as well.

Thomas James likewise mentions Sefaradi & Moorish descendants as New Christians (The History of the Herculean Straits Volume 2, pg. 85).

Thus these were the Elches (converts/renegados) who intermaried (at least to a noticeable extent) with the Sudani & again this links to the Sefaradi trading network in the Americas and groups that claim Portuguese and/or Moorish descent.

Its not far fetched considering how the Portuguese fled from the Spanish Americas after the kingdoms split after the 1640s.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:24 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
William Lithgow also mentioned a group of Ethiopian Christians merchants in Aqsa who were called Heragenes and seemed to be based in Arracon just north of the Sahel.

(The Totall Discourse of the Rare Adventures & Painefull Peregrinations of William Lithgow, p.326)

I know Antonio Malfante mentioned at Tout merchants from India and Abyssinia. Leo Africanus also mentioned Ethiopic, Coptic, and Chaldean being spoken in Neuba. I know that during the persecutions of the Sefaradi in Spain in 1391 was also around the time the Catholics also were connecting with the state centralizing Abyssinian court and likewise "heretics" and local Jews were being targeted. This was also in the time frame that Professor Hirschberg reported that groups of warrior Jews were making their appearance in the oases. Ogilby also writes that Abyssinians were immigrants or Heragenes (Falasi) in the greener parts of the Sahara. It appears that just as the rulers of the Tell and its coast were dealing with Moriscos, Marranos, Iberian Moors and Jews, those of the Sahra and Sawahil El Sudan were dealing with their own influx.

Its an interesting subject area that has been little explored in how these various trading networks of the interior dealt with the Sefaradi networks of the coast and how these could be connected to various groups in the states claiming moorish and/or portuguese origins like the Melangeons.

Perhaps some young, up and coming NASSERSIST scholar will take this up in the future.
More on this topic, check out what John Pory states relating to Habeshi Yehudi (especially near the Nile) & the Congo (presumably referring to the Sefardi trading network) (The History and Description of Africa Volume 3, p.1004).

Quote:
Marrano did not JUST refer to the descendants of Iberian Sefaradi Jews, even as late as the time of Florio (Queen Anna's New world of words, pg. 300 definition of Marrano); Sebastian de Covarrubias also defined Moriscos as Marranos as well.

Thomas James likewise mentions Sefaradi & Moorish descendants as New Christians (The History of the Herculean Straits Volume 2, pg. 85).

Thus these were the Elches (converts/renegados) who intermaried (at least to a noticeable extent) with the Sudani & again this links to the Sefaradi trading network in the Americas and groups that claim Portuguese and/or Moorish descent.

Its not far fetched considering how the Portuguese fled from the Spanish Americas after the kingdoms split after the 1640s.
And for more along this line (The Present State of the Jews-more particularly relating to those in Barbary, p. 80).

Again, plenty of topics to be explored by a budding NASSERIST scholar.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:52 PM

59 posts, read 53,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I didn't happen. It was rare.
Actually, race mixing was quite common between the different racial groups.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:29 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivergentIntel View Post
Actually, race mixing was quite common between the different racial groups.
No, actually it wasn't at all. American history is very segregated. People of my granparents generation seldom had a conversation or any coorespondence whatsoever with people of other races.

It happened, but it was anamolous. It's being overstated today in discussions of history and genealogy.

For the most part, nobody was mixed and there were no happy interracial couples.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:31 PM

467 posts, read 352,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, actually it wasn't at all. American history is very segregated. People of my granparents generation seldom had a conversation or any coorespondence whatsoever with people of other races.

It happened, but it was anamolous. It's being overstated today in discussions of history and genealogy.

For the most part, nobody was mixed and there were no happy interracial couples.
I think I can understand how you might think this, if you only lived in places (some town in Nebraska? near a highway intersection in Montana?) where this seemed to be true. But as well as you remember your own experience, how can you be so knowledgeable concerning everyone else's experience? I already told you mine, and it is an example against your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History