Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 12:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

The story goes that Theodore Herzl believed, through his own observation, that anti-Semitism would always be there in a country where jews lived regardless of the conditions that nation was in. What I think Herzl really saw was that anti-Semitism was some day going to gain world wide consciousness and acceptance which would leave no place for jews to go and live in safety. In past times when anti-Semitism rose in one country the jews always had another country to go to that was relatively free of that. But in the modern world today anti-Semitism is everywhere in the world just like I think Herzl thought it would someday be. From a jewish point of view I can see the necessity of the existence of the state of Israel. Of course there is the U.S.A. but I believe that there is a fair amount of anti-Semitism in the U.S.A. All it would take would be an economic upheaval or world war or something like that for it to raise its head. Just my opinion by the way. Anyway, interesting topic and especially emotionally charged because of the Palestinian element in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 05:25 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
What I think Herzl really saw was that anti-Semitism was some day going to gain world wide consciousness and acceptance which would leave no place for jews to go and live in safety.
I think that is what he believed at the time, that anti-semitism was so accepted across the globe that no matter what Jews did it wouldn't matter until Jews had their own sovereign nation.

Writing in 1896 in the tract; Der Judenstaat Herzel wrote:
"Oppression and persecution cannot exterminate us. No nation on earth has endured such struggles and sufferings as we have. Jew-baiting has merely winnowed out our weaklings; the strong among us defiantly return to their own whenever persecution breaks out. . . Wherever we remain politically secure for any length of time, we assimilate. I think this is not praiseworthy. . ."
Excerpts from "The Jewish State" | Jewish Virtual Library

Old 07-20-2016, 06:19 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
The story goes that Theodore Herzl believed, through his own observation, that anti-Semitism would always be there in a country where jews lived regardless of the conditions that nation was in. What I think Herzl really saw was that anti-Semitism was some day going to gain world wide consciousness and acceptance which would leave no place for jews to go and live in safety. In past times when anti-Semitism rose in one country the jews always had another country to go to that was relatively free of that. But in the modern world today anti-Semitism is everywhere in the world just like I think Herzl thought it would someday be. From a jewish point of view I can see the necessity of the existence of the state of Israel. Of course there is the U.S.A. but I believe that there is a fair amount of anti-Semitism in the U.S.A. All it would take would be an economic upheaval or world war or something like that for it to raise its head. Just my opinion by the way. Anyway, interesting topic and especially emotionally charged because of the Palestinian element in there.
He saw what he saw.
The "Dreyfus affair," the "Pale of Settlement" in Russian Empire...
Those were things hard to miss and they were all over the place.

So it's all biblical, what do you do, ( even if Herzl was not a religious man himself)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History