Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On average, do you personally think that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a good thing?
Yes 91 85.05%
No 16 14.95%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:48 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,799,890 times

Advertisements

As for me, I voted Yes. After all, while it might have been possible to economically reform the Soviet Union along the lines of what China did and to keep most of the Soviet Union together, I also think that it was a very good thing to have the various SSRs within the Soviet Union become independent and thus become able to determine their own destinies and future.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 02:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Yes. The happiest day of my life.

The nighmare was finally over.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 PM

25 posts, read 42,364 times
It was definitely a good thing. There was a lot of internal tension within the USSR between the Kremlin and the subject nations, which had distinct cultures that clashed with a lot of the Communist policies that were enforced upon them. The economy of the Soviet Union was also in utter shambles; it had been rough for several decades, but the instability was one of the reasons the country started to dissolve in the first place during the late 80s.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,938 times
I had spent twenty years of my life prepared to fight a nuclear war with the USSR. I was very relieved for the young people that followed me in regard to that non-event.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I had spent twenty years of my life prepared to fight a nuclear war with the USSR. I was very relieved for the young people that followed me in regard to that non-event.
And for the young people on the other side, who endured the legacy of one of the foulest totalitarian regimes in history.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Second best thing that happened in the 20th century.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:59 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Thare was an ancient principle to rule the world: divide et impera. Rulers never wanted a united powerful enemy. They always wanted a weak conglomerate of small warrying ones. better off, set them against each other, then watch how they weaken so that you can step in with "humanitarian help" and World Bank type policies implemented.
That said, ever since USSR won WW2, the goal was to dismantle it and divide et impera it. Country that could have not been conquered in battle finally lost to cold war. The world went from bipolar one to unipolar one, where one country could do whatever it pleased, knowing well enough that there is no other force out there to stop it.
Was it good or bad - utterly depends on your opinion about that country.
But if you have any sense of decency, any ability to read between the lines of the official propaganda, any level of independent thinking, you will see how much deterioration to the world this brought.
Want exampkle? Go to Afghanistan and ask Afghans what were Russian militaries like. You might be surprised with answer "they brought schools and jobs". No, don't read what others say about Afghan. GO THERE and talk to people. Then come back and confirm or decline. But, at least, have your OWN opinion.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Thare was an ancient principle to rule the world: divide et impera. Rulers never wanted a united powerful enemy. They always wanted a weak conglomerate of small warrying ones. better off, set them against each other, then watch how they weaken so that you can step in with "humanitarian help" and World Bank type policies implemented.
That said, ever since USSR won WW2, the goal was to dismantle it and divide et impera it. Country that could have not been conquered in battle finally lost to cold war. The world went from bipolar one to unipolar one, where one country could do whatever it pleased, knowing well enough that there is no other force out there to stop it.
Was it good or bad - utterly depends on your opinion about that country.
But if you have any sense of decency, any ability to read between the lines of the official propaganda, any level of independent thinking, you will see how much deterioration to the world this brought.
Want exampkle? Go to Afghanistan and ask Afghans what were Russian militaries like. You might be surprised with answer "they brought schools and jobs". No, don't read what others say about Afghan. GO THERE and talk to people. Then come back and confirm or decline. But, at least, have your OWN opinion.
If it's all the same to you, I think I'll bypass Afghanistan. Just as Russia and America should have. Let them grow their poppies, brutalize their women, rape little boys, and murder each other.

And a tame Russia is a good Russia. Ask the Poles, the Czechs, the Hungarians, the Ukrainians, the Bosnians, the Croats, the Turks, the Greeks, the Bulgarians, the Romanians, the Slovaks, the Slovenes, and any Cubans or Vietnamese who are willing to tell the truth.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:59 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,949,385 times
I selected "NO" because it will avoid North Korea doing any massive destructions today. North Korea once had good ties with Soviet Union back then, and people used to be better off with more food to eat.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
The end of the Soviet Union brought freedom to millions of people who had spent most or all of their lives in slavery. Some of those countries aren't the most free today, but the people are 100x better off than they were before.

If anyone wishes to examine what freedom meant to those enslaved people during the hegemony of the Soviet Union, I suggest the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fck...ndex=2&list=WL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History