Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:01 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's the same; just a change in name. 1 cycle per second (cps) is the same as 1 Hz. The name was changed basically to honor the scientist who proved the existence of electromagnetic waves.
C'mon, I knew that. I just thought it was a fun thing to say.
One guy in school wanted to know if his motorcycle became a motorhertz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 04:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Don't know if it's the same guy, but there was a DJ I think on WABC in New York, and nationally syndicated, in the '60s called Cousin Brucie and he still has a show on SiriusXM live on Wednesdays and rerun on Sundays.
Cousin Brucie is legendary. And yes, he's still doing some hosting on '60s on 6 for Sirius, last I heard. 83 years old.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Mid-Sixties.
Hmmmm....I was in the Twin Cities summer of '59 to summer of '65, then moved back East. Lived on WDGY and KDWBeeeee.......channel 63! The name Sandy Shores doesn't ring a bell. Perhaps that person started soon after I left?

Old 01-14-2019, 05:57 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I hope that this right forum. I read that on AM during the daylight hours there were a lot of low powered local stations that had to shut down from dusk to dawn. There were also a few high powered stations that would go around the clock. Someone from Texas could listen to a Detroit station and catch Tiger baseball.
I lived in northeastern Ohio/northwestern Pennsylvania and after dark picked up WOWO from Fort Wayne, WLW from Cincinnati, and WCFL from Chicago. WGR from Buffalo was a "daylight" station that decreased its power at dusk, so its signal reached me only during daylight hours. I also listened to CKLW from Windsor, Ontario, which I could pick up 24/7 - as the bird flies, Windsor wasn't that far away with only Lake Erie in the way.

After dark I could also pick up a French language station from Quebec - loved listening to hockey games in French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
People had radios all over the house because you didn't have to sit in front of it to enjoy it. .
Wait ... People still don't do this? I still have radios in every room of the house, although more often than not I have Sirius on my cell phone in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I don't remember the radio station but we used to listen the "The Adventures of Chickenman". It was pretty funny.
Bwah hahahaha! I loved the Chicken Man!

The same guy did a program later on called the Tooth Fairy. Can't remember his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Oh, speaking of West Virginia. Some of you probably got your exposure to country music when the Wheeling Jamboree came on WWVA in Wheeling, at 1170 AM.
My dad was a big WWVA fan - he lived in Pittsburgh at the time, but said he'd also listen when he was stationed at Fort Belvoir in Virginia during the Korean War. He also listened to WCKY from Cincinnati to get his country fix.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Yeah, I remember picking up WLS from Chicago as a kid living near Atlanta. Of course AM still propagates well at night, so that part of the "game" is the same as it ever was, the thing that has changed is that so many radio stations have "cookie cutter" programming, so outside of the call sign announcement, you don't "get" anything for your efforts.

Short wave has got a lot thinner now too. Apparently running a "real" short wave transmitter gets into some money, and the (mostly governments) that previously ran them now turn to cheaper ways to get the word out over the internet.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
In the mid-1960s we lived in Chicago so I was raised on WLS and WCFL. Sometimes at night I listened to WBZ in Boston and some station in New Orleans that was geared to OTR truckers. I remember they were always advertising some truck stop in Slidell, LA.

When I got my OWN transistor radio it was a happy, happy day.

My first husband was big into DX-ing in the mid 70s. He would usually stay up all night on Sundays because many stations were off the air for transmitter maintenance then. He built an inside antenna about 3 feet square wrapped with about 20 courses of wire.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 PM

4,199 posts, read 4,450,813 times
Radio in 1950s from the programming perspective was nearing the end of it's life as most of the programming switched to television as it gained market saturation. Most of the old time radio shows (Adventure serials, Comedies, Dramas, Game Shows, et al) ended their runs in late 50s and early 60s as TV assumed the mantle for that programming and radio was left to mostly music, talk and religious programming.

As others mentioned certain AM stations had to limit their operation. Most of the major cities had (and still have) 50,000 kilowatt clear channel designated AM stations and are split by class type.
For reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

In 70s there was a brief resurgence in old time radio as CBS Radio mystery theater sort of led the retro charge. It didn't last long.

My memories of radio was carrying the transistor radio to elementary school and listening to day baseball games with a hidden earphone. I tried to relate to my nieces and nephews recently how we actually would listen to music like top40 hits, country etc... on AM stations! One of the fun memories of the holiday summer weekend (Independence Day, Memorial and Labor day) is that often one of the local AM stations would have a top 500 songs of all time countdown.

Night time from NE Ohio I could listen to:

Detroit (WJR 760) call sign was "From high atop the Fisher Building in Detroit..."
Cincinnati (WLW 700)

Philadelphia (KYW 1060) KYW Newsradio 1060 with the old teletype tapping out a fast rhythm

Boston (WBZ 1030) Larry Glick show - Larry Glick's the one for you, he is on from ten to two, Laaarrry is your friend, count on it Boston W B Z" - Two five four, five six seven eight; catchiest jingles and some of the funniest callers / stories The guy from Geogria calling in to read the audience the story of the Pet Orangutan which attacked or the stories of The Graveyard Marauder being two well known ones which got a lot of repeat play by request.

St Louis (KMOX 1120) Cardinals baseball games
New York (WOR 710) harder to get consistently
Chicago (AM 670 came in best) White Sox - AM720 was the Cubs
Cleveland's 1100 was for brief time KYW and WWWE then switched back to its original WTAM. Pete Franklin was the originator of the sports talk show and was probably the best due to his sketches and riffs on inept sports owners, and fans in particular.

Pittsburgh (KDKA 1020)
Minneapolis (WCCO 830) occasionally when the ionosphere was cooperating..
The most distant I ever picked up was New Orleans

Windsor Ontario's CKLW K-800 was very well known for its top40 music and carried well over the surrounding great lakes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKLW

Most anticipation was waiting for school closing information during winter snow storms. The thing I liked the best was being able to get work done while listening to radio versus being parked in front of TV.
If you are in Chicago check out the Radio Hall of Fame at the Museum of Broadcast Communication they also have traveling exhibits.

Thoughts on Short wave:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hobbi...l#post42978214

Thoughts on Talk Radio evolution:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...l#post39367759

Last edited by ciceropolo; 01-14-2019 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: additional and typos

Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,822 times
We've had a 50K watt station in Iowa since 1933, WHO, which Ronald Reagan was sportscaster in those days, but every since I can remember, the programming has always appealed more to an older audience. Us kids in the 70's would listen to rock stations like 590 WOW from Omaha, 710 WHB from Kansas City, KIOA from Des Moines, this is when we lived in Western Iowa, and the parents and grandparents were morbidly in love with 540 KWMT from Fort Dodge, a fairly powerful daytime country station which we listened to on car rides whether we wanted to or not, but kinda liked Paul Harvey's daily story......good day. I remember one of those stations from Chicago was really good, but so faint it spoiled it for regular listening. That one station from St. Louis was always good for baseball games driving at night, think it was 1120 KMOX. The Nashville station usually came in good at night too. Everything from the west coast was always blocked from the mountains or something, but once in a great while on a clear night, you could faintly hear a station from NY, Atlanta or one of the Texas stations.

It was pretty far into the 80's before all the automakers put FM radios in cars, for the base option. I remember that cheezy AM stereo thing some stations experimented with back then, it required use of 2 AM radios, one tuned slightly to the right, and the other slightly to the left of the station, and it produced a wanna be stereo sound.....how convenient, had to use 2 radios to get crappy sounding stereo, lol.

Yes, I remember short wave and the propaganda from Cuba. Always used that one station from Boulder Colorado for Coordinated Universal Time, all it did was tick tock the seconds away and beep on every minute. Always used it to set my watch until cell phones came along. It's still there, but like the other poster said, shortwave is pretty naked these days. I remember Radio Marti and how that got Castro ticked off, and for a few years he stomped on 1040 WHO for revenge, which everyone in the SE part of the country could hear.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Hmmmm....I was in the Twin Cities summer of '59 to summer of '65, then moved back East. Lived on WDGY and KDWBeeeee.......channel 63! The name Sandy Shores doesn't ring a bell. Perhaps that person started soon after I left?
I wonder if I misremembered? I see there was a Sandy Shores who was an announcer out of Des Moines, KIOA. Entirely possible. That was a few moments ago.

Anyway I see there is also a Sandy Shore radio announcer in Monterrey Bay who organizes jazz festivals. Wonder if he got out of the cold Midwest.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Thoughts on Talk Radio evolution:
What was talk radio like in the days before Rush ??

I am listening to talk radio right now on WBZ Boston. Right now, the more conservative person is on and her callers are mostly conservative. Later, the more open minded guy comes on and his callers are much more interesting.

I have zero interest in programs like Rush--I don't even know if people call in. I like good, informative discussion and interesting, varied types of callers. If WBZ gets too boring, I get BBC Five Alive on my computer. They have Up All Night and it's news, interviews, all that good stuff. Actually, the BBC programs are more like radio used to be. The type of radio that I miss. We used to do our homework with radio in the background. Unlike tv, it doesn't demand all your attention; it's just there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History