Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM

13 posts, read 61,023 times

Advertisements

I would like to get the perspective of people who have lived for a long time. We always hear that we are living in hard times and many old timers tell us things are tough now days. To me, someone who is over 50, life does seem tougher than ever before for the average person. We sure are working harder and we seem more isolated and alone than ever before. Finding and keeping a good job seems harder than ever and kids in school are facing incredible social and cultural pressure. The academic demands on today's youth is incredible. So are things really that tough in comparison to 20-30-40 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,935 times
I think one of the hardest things, for me,at least, is technology...I still have my VCR and am not giving it up for DVD CD whatever till it dies
I have no desire to learn about blue teeth and pods for ears (peas come in pods.. not music)!!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Some things of the 70's as when i was a kid i'll always value for the rest of my life and that is back then we had no Computers, Video Games, Cell Phones and Big Screen Tv's etc...so we all were all physically active as we played sports for hours upon hours back then. When my dad took me to K-Mart to get a new basketball every couple of years as mine would ware out ...you'd thought i won the lottery. I thrive on physical work and not sitting in an office or chair type employment.

So to this day i do not own any of the electronic games or big screen tv's etc... except my computer with the internet as i still keep my basketball in my truck and i always go to the park and shoot hoops even though i'm 43. If alive at 93 i assume i'll be shooting hoops at the nursing home....lol....

Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Back in 1978- I had my Mustang, a nice TV with about 6 channels, a cassette deck, and a stereo-and I was happy- today the number of consumer goods and electronic technology is bewildering-

Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
I think life is far uglier and meaner today - I feel bad for young folks.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
I think life is to easy and convenient today, makes kids self aborbed, over reliant on others, and spoiled - I feel bad for young folks.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Poor young folks

Earlier generations triumphed over the Great Depression and WWII, to give us (not to be presumptuous, but the baby boomers) the prosperity and security of the 50s and 60s. I see a lot of social decadence today.

On the other hand things are light-years better on the medical and technological fronts. And because the world is "shrinking" thanks to technology the new generations of all countries and belief systems have a much better opportunity to understand and appreciate each other.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
As I crank up my washer, dryer, dishwasher, garbage disposer, and head out the door to do something else besides manual labor, I am reminded of how much easier housekeeping is today.
I also get to get into my car instead of having to hitch up a bunch or horses to my wagon in order to get to the tennis court.
Do we have pressures that our forefathers didn't have? Sure, but the hardships they faced were plenty hard too...just different.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,006 times
It depends, It was easier to "get by" 40 years ago. A person could survive on the minimum wage, but getting ahead was harder. There was little money to be made from speculation. Blue collar jobs were harder and worker safety was not something most employers gave much thought. Jobs were harder to get, and money was harder to borrow, if you could borrow it was more expensive.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
While us oldsters have lived through a bit, we haven't lived through recent times as kids, so I'm not sure how much validity our thoughts have.

I would say that the 1990s were about the easiest times. Prices hadn't really started spiraling out of control, there wasn't as much military action overall, jobs were easy to come by and new gee-gahs abounded. The whole nutso fear within the country about terrorists hadn't started.

The fifties had little money except in certain industries and/or unions.
The sixties and seventies had the draft and Vietnam. That could ruin your day pretty quickly. Then there was the energy crisis and the real start of both environmental concern and the enviro-cults.
The 80s were a strange time. Overspending the soviets and a quiet war in Afghanistan ended the cold war by bankrupting the USSR. (Hmmm, wonder what China is doing to US right about now...)
The past eight years have been an unmitigated disaster in so many ways. Job losses, loss of manufacturing capability, lack of agrarian stability, an idiotic and costly invasion of Iraq, the lack of finding Bin Laden, the tightening control of government, the insane increases in taxes and fees on municipal levels in many areas, the list goes on and on.

The key difference now is that all the previous decades were decades when we expanded in some fashion. We went to the moon on technology that is far less complicated than an average cellphone! Now we look forward and don't see as much promise in the future. Technology has become more of our keeper than an enabler. Environmental regulations make any great or massive projects unlikely, and the U.S. is beginning to see the effects of worldwide economic competition. IMO, the person who has had the most lasting effect on our situation is Dr. Strangelove... err Dr. Kissinger. I personally think he sold us down the river and made us think he was doing us a favor.

There is no "average" person that would be an indicator of whether the times are good or bad. For many people, gains made over the years have brought them into wealth and plenty. Others are foundering on the rocks of financial disaster. I think the sheer numbers of people in that second group will continue to grow in the near future.

While I don't feel sorry for kids growing up today, I know I would not want to be one of them unless it was in an isolated rural society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History