Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times

Advertisements

Here you go:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...chtum_erde.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:18 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Something tells me the Fatherland is going to thin out in a few more generations, unfortunately.

But I'd take issue with the US depiction. Last I read, about 40% of the US population is of German ethnic origin, which would be around 120,000,000 people. Should be a lot more dots over here.

My direct ancestor fled Heidelberg in 1753, traveled to Rotterdam and took an English ship to Philadelphia.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM

651 posts, read 416,615 times
It is interesting that we can see not very big German ethnic groups to the East of Germany (up to Ural) and none to the West of the native country: in France, Spain and Portugal. Is it a mistake of the painter or political correctness or truth?

Old 04-30-2016, 01:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Notice the dots over in Central Asia, in the area of Kazakhstan. Those are there because Stalin deported Germans there after WWII. There were Germans in the Baltic States, and he sent hundreds of thousands of Balts there as well as Germans, and there were Germans in Russia proper, as well. That's a little piece of history that gets overlooked. But there it is, on the map.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:25 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But I'd take issue with the US depiction. Last I read, about 40% of the US population is of German ethnic origin, which would be around 120,000,000 people. Should be a lot more dots over here.
There are roughly 50 million Americans of German descent. Now. The map is from 1930 - it was lower then in sheer numbers, though the percentages might've been somewhat higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
It is interesting that we can see not very big German ethnic groups to the East of Germany (up to Ural) and none to the West of the native country: in France, Spain and Portugal. Is it a mistake of the painter or political correctness or truth?
It's a German-made map (notice that the area descriptions are all in German?) from 1930. Who do you think in Wiemar Germany was declining to list Germans in Spain for fear of offending someone? Do you even know what 'political correctness' even means? And do you see it everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Notice the dots over in Central Asia, in the area of Kazakhstan. Those are there because Stalin deported Germans there after WWII.
The map is from 1930.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Notice the dots over in Central Asia, in the area of Kazakhstan. Those are there because Stalin deported Germans there after WWII. There were Germans in the Baltic States, and he sent hundreds of thousands of Balts there as well as Germans, and there were Germans in Russia proper, as well. That's a little piece of history that gets overlooked. But there it is, on the map.
My great Grand Parents came to the US in 1914 fro the Saratov region on the Volga Ethnic Germans. In '41 their Families were all deported to Siberia. Their descendants live in a Village called Osokins in Omsk Oblast.
There is a large segment on germans from Russia here in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germans_from_Russia
American Historical Society Of Germans From Russia

Germans from Russian Heritage Society - Home Page

Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
My great Grand Parents came to the US in 1914 fro the Saratov region on the Volga Ethnic Germans. In '41 their Families were all deported to Siberia. Their descendants live in a Village called Osokins in Omsk Oblast.

Thank you. The Volga Germans had their own autonomous republic, which was liquidated at the beginning of WWII.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati;
The map is from 1930.
Even after WWI, the Tsar deported Germans to Siberia, the Volga and Central Asia. Stalin continued that process after coming to power in the mid-1920's. It should be fairly obvious that Germans wouldn't volunteer to live in Central Asia, whether before 1930 or after. If there's a significant presence there, there's got to be a grim background story to it.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:56 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

I can verify that. My family, too, came to Chicago in 1914 (?15) from Enders, Ukraine, just north of the Black Sea. The whole town packed up and moved to Jefferson Park, Chicago. Family left behind wound up in Siberia.

When I took German in high school in the 60s, my teacher kept criticizing me for having a Russian accent. I guess I was unconsciously imitating my grandparents' speech.

I've read that English became the "official" language of the Continental Congress, winning by a single vote over German, when two Pennsylvania Dutch reps were delayed by weather en route to the convention and didn't vote.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,419 times
Quote:
Thank you. The Volga Germans had their own autonomous republic, which was liquidated at the beginning of WWII.

Even after WWI, the Tsar deported Germans to Siberia, the Volga and Central Asia. Stalin continued that process after coming to power in the mid-1920's. It should be fairly obvious that Germans wouldn't volunteer to live in Central Asia, whether before 1930 or after. If there's a significant presence there, there's got to be a grim background story to it.
The Tsar was dead before WWI ended.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
It's the truth. After all, unlike in Eastern Europe, there doesn't appear to have been much available living space (Lebensraum) for ethnic Germans in Western Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History