Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times

Advertisements

In response to the thread about what historical sites people would like to visit, I thought it would be nice for people to provide a few thoughts on the sites they have visited so those who desire to see those same places would get some flavor of them.

Here's my list:

1. Rome - Despite the choking commercailization of many of the major sites, its still one of the neatest place I have ever visited. I felt like I was marinating in history the entire 3 days I spent there. It is impossible to visit the eternal city without learning something.

2. Verdun - The size and scale of the battlefield, and the fact you could still see the scars in the landscape 70 years later ( I visited in the 1980's), and the overflowing cemetaries had a huge impact on me.

3. Philadelphia - Visiting all the important revolutionary war sites in the Metro area helped me appreciate what a unique idea this country was at the time of its founding and how many of the political ideas we take for granted today were so extraordinary when they were introduced in the 18th century. Gave me a new level of appreciation for the founding fathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
In response to the thread about what historical sites people would like to visit, I thought it would be nice for people to provide a few thoughts on the sites they have visited so those who desire to see those same places would get some flavor of them.

Here's my list:

1. Rome - Despite the choking commercailization of many of the major sites, its still one of the neatest place I have ever visited. I felt like I was marinating in history the entire 3 days I spent there. It is impossible to visit the eternal city without learning something.

2. Verdun - The size and scale of the battlefield, and the fact you could still see the scars in the landscape 70 years later ( I visited in the 1980's), and the overflowing cemetaries had a huge impact on me.

3. Philadelphia - Visiting all the important revolutionary war sites in the Metro area helped me appreciate what a unique idea this country was at the time of its founding and how many of the political ideas we take for granted today were so extraordinary when they were introduced in the 18th century. Gave me a new level of appreciation for the founding fathers.
I really enjoyed the battlefield at Vicksburg. Did you know Vicksburg fell the same day of Gettysburg.
the strategic value of Vicksburg was much greater then Gettysburg

I would love to St.Petersburg in Russia

Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Too many to name.

Probably Machu Picchu in Peru...simply outstanding.

Versaillse Palace in France is a real eye opener.

Another is Old City Jerusalem in Israel. Also include King David's Mountain, and Bethlehem city.

Rome and Paris are amazing all around. It's really like an outdoor museum.

Dublin also had some outstanding scenary.

i also live in NY so I wouldn't count that.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 PM

58 posts, read 147,110 times
I would recommend none since all the ones i've visited are disgusting tourist traps filled with old, rich, white americans and europeans being led around like cattle. Historical significance loses its value when the site is surrounded by chain restaurants and plush hotels. Also, when you can drive to the site and you hear men and women from your own country bitching about heat, walking and "weird" natives, it really shows you how ridiculous the tourism industry has become.

The best historical places to go are ones that you've never heard of in a book or from any mainstream travel guides. Go find them on your own.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Generally, I have no interest in visiting historical sites because being there imparts nothing to me to raise my understanding of the history. But I have been to some, either accidentally, or because I was accompanied by a traveler who wanted to go there. In the order that I think of them.

Lanse aux Meadows, Newfoundland.
Ba'albek, Lebanon
Custer Battlefield, Montana
Great pyramid and sphynx, Egypt.
Karnak, Egypt
Petra, Jordan
Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania
Stonehenge, England
Polguk Sa, Korea
Troy, Turkey
Louvre Museum, France
Way of the Cross, Jerusalem
Bethlehem, Palestine
Auschwitz, Poland
DMZ, Vietnam
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Teotihuacan, Mexico
Opera House, Manaus, Brazil
Barbed Wire Museum, Kansas
Chalmette Battlefield, Louisiana
Bear Flag Building (I worked in the building), Cannery Row, Monterey, California
Wahconah Field, Pittsfield, Mass. (Only baseball park where sun sets in batters eyes)
Labatt's Field, London, Ontario (Oldest continuously used baseball diamond in the world)
Newfoundland Margarine Company, built on site of landing field used for Alcock and Brown's transatlantic flight.
Cabot Tower, Newfoundland, where Marconi heard first translantic broadcast of human voice.
State Capital, Louisiana, site of assassination of Huey Long.
Carlsberg Brewery tour, Denmark

Last edited by jtur88; 12-31-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
I have visited some. I like the impressive architectural ones, they tend to be the most interesting to me. This is what I can think of off the top of my head

Chichan Itza, Mexico
Tower of London, England
Stonehenge, England
Greenwich observatory, England
Houses of Parliament, England
Montjuic Castle, Spain
Sagrada Familia, Spain
San Juan National Historic site, US
Borobudur, Indonesia
Prambanan, Indonesia
Gettysburg, and other battlefields, US
St. Augustine, and other forts, US
Dodge city and other cow/wild west towns, US

Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,009 times
The Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, Netherlands

Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Port Arthur, Tasmania.
Alotau, where the Japanese Army had their first land defeat of WW2.
Salem, Massachussets.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
They aren't all hugely famous but:

All the main sites in London like The Tower, Buckingham Palace, etc
Roman Baths, Bath, England
Skipton Castle, Skipton, England
Tatton House, Cheshire, England
Bakewell, England (home of the Bakewell Tart)
Conwy Castle, Wales
All of main sites of Edinburgh, Scotland (Edinburgh Castle, Holyroodhouse Palace, St Anthony's Chapel (in ruins), Scott Monument)
Rosslyn Chapel, Roslin, Scotland
All the main sites of Pisa, Italy (Leaning Tower, Cathedral, Cemetery, Baptistery, etc)
Lucca, Italy (inside the walls, the whole town in historical)
All the main sites of Prague, Czech Republic
All the main sites of Barcelona, Spain
Quin Abbey, County Clare, Ireland
Newtown Castle, County Clare, Ireland
Stone Age Tomb, The Burren, County Clare, Ireland
Knappogue Castle, County Clare, Ireland
Doonagore Castle, County Clare, Ireland
Fonthill Museum, Bucks County, PA
All the historical sites of Philadelphia

And finally, I was married in Aldie Mansion, Doylestown, PA

Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And finally, I was married in Aldie Mansion, Doylestown, PA
Oh, wait---I was married in the St. Louis Cathedral in the New Orleans French Quarter. Back in the days when you could walk in and say "We have a marriage license, is there a priest who's not busy?" Actually, I was also married in The Kirk, in St. John's, Newfoundland, which is on the Canada Registry of Historic Places. Don't ask me how many non-historic places I've been married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History