Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:30 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,140,421 times

Advertisements

Cuba has helped many black people/causes within the last 50 to 60 years. They've been on the right side of many conflicts and moral issues. Just like many of the African leaders that defeated colonialism and led their new countries into the next phase and didn't step aside when the time was right, Cuba's leadership did the same. Cuba had a moral authority that no European country ever had that they allowed to whiter away with time. Hopefully the normalizing of our relationship will usher in positive change...

1. Cuba Supported the Angolan War of Independence
  2. Cuba Prevented South African Apartheid Regime From Taking Over Angola
  3. Cuba Provided Assistance in ANC’s Fight Against Apartheid
  4. Cuba Provided Amnesty to Assata Shakur
  5. Castro Supported Black American Business
  6. Cuba Backed Venezuela Against U.S. Sanctions
  7. Cuba Offers Free Medical School to Blacks
  8. Cuba Sent Troops to Fight Against U.S. Invasion of Grenada
  9. Cuban Medical Internationalism Provides Medical Personnel to the Developing World

9 Instances of Fidel Castro and Cubans Helping Black People Fight Colonialism and White Supremacy - Atlanta Blackstar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 01:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,849,333 times
Here is an example of a POC or if it were properly phrased[Great Debates] thread in the History section.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Here is an example of a POC or if it were properly phrased[Great Debates] thread in the History section.
^^^Here is an example of a poster trying to derail a thread by going off topic.

This is not a debate thread it's a closer look at Cuba's history of fighting colonialism. Nothing more, nothing less. There's clearly a certain subset of posters that don't like to discuss any type of black history in a positive light. I get it, but they should just scroll and roll...

Old 08-18-2015, 02:46 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
^^^Here is an example of a poster trying to derail a thread by going off topic.

This is not a debate thread it's a closer look at Cuba's history of fighting colonialism. Nothing more, nothing less. There's clearly a certain subset of posters that don't like to discuss any type of black history in a positive light. I get it, but they should just scroll and roll...
Finding examples of Cuba, as a tool of the Soviet Union (at least during the cold war), sending troops and aid to cause destabilization in the world and, in the case of Grenada, to kill American's (including American soldiers of color) is not something to brag about. Castro's motive was not as a protector against colonialism or oppression, his motive was to increase the Soviet sphere of influence.

I mean - Venezuela? Really? You are bragging about that? Do you know what condition Venezuela is nowadays?

The problem is you have an agenda that goes above and beyond the topic of history.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Finding examples of Cuba, as a tool of the Soviet Union (at least during the cold war), sending troops and aid to cause destabilization in the world and, in the case of Grenada, to kill American's (including American soldiers of color) is not something to brag about. Castro's motive was not as a protector against colonialism or oppression, his motive was to increase the Soviet sphere of influence.

I mean - Venezuela? Really? You are bragging about that? Do you know what condition Venezuela is nowadays?

The problem is you have an agenda that goes above and beyond the topic of history.
I'm not arguing that Cuba was perfect. I only posted some of the things they did in the past to fight colonialism and white supremacy. Specifically how they sided in the Angolan War & how they were against South African Apartheid. Yes, they were in bed with the Soviets (who had their own list of problems) but they were also on the right side of history in many other occasions. In regards to Apartheid, the overwhelming US opinion shifted towards where they stood the entire time.

Castro's motive in my opinion, was to fight against US colonialism... So yes I have an agenda, and that agenda is to bring into the light little known aspects of history from a different perspective.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing that Cuba was perfect. I only posted some of the things they did in the past to fight colonialism and white supremacy. Specifically how they sided in the Angolan War & how they were against South African Apartheid. Yes, they were in bed with the Soviets (who had their own list of problems) but they were also on the right side of history in many other occasions. In regards to Apartheid, the overwhelming US opinion shifted towards where they stood the entire time.

Castro's motive in my opinion, was to fight against US colonialism... So yes I have an agenda, and that agenda is to bring into the light little known aspects of history from a different perspective.
Fair enough. But in my opinion Castro was a pawn. a Soviet chess piece. When Cuba left Angola & Nambia when there Soviet sponsorship ended, these civil wars lasted for years with them killing each other, decades longer. Where was Cuba? It took the UN and the west to sort things out, including UN peacekeepers.
And again with Apartheid, it was the US and West Europe anti-apartheid movement that was the nail in the coffin. Corporate boycotts and divestements in S. Africa (those capitalist pigs!). South Africa was becoming an outlaw state by then in the eyes of the western democracies. They would not have ended apartheid without the west essentially telling them to end it.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,178,080 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro..._consciousness

Excluded from better paying jobs, powerful jobs, and given poorer housing. The worker's paradise just keeps on giving!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro..._consciousness

Excluded from better paying jobs, powerful jobs, and given poorer housing. The worker's paradise just keeps on giving!
Yes, Cuba is no paradise. But making that point wasn't my intention.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:46 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,178,080 times
Quote:
Yes, Cuba is no paradise. But making that point wasn't my intention.
But it is even worse if you're a black Cuban, and a lot of that is caused by the Castro government.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 AM

244 posts, read 362,627 times
I'm not sure if citing Assata Shakur was a good thing, she was hardly a good role model for blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History