Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times

Advertisements

Undoubtably one of the most interesting, and least understood men of the past century, I find these photos don't add much to what we already knew, but they are interesting the nonetheless.

Adolf Hitler, Up Close - Adolf Hitler: Up Close - LIFE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:24 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Undoubtably one of the most interesting, and least understood men of the past century, I find these photos don't add much to what we already knew, but they are interesting the nonetheless.

Nice.

If we wanted to interest the young in his history, the best thing we could find would be sound recordings of his meteorism (explosive flatuence) bouts. Evidently his digestion was on a par with his Barbarossa strategic judgments. Imagine all the kids who would be intoxicated with a desire to study history on hearing that Adolf did often the thing they consider most fascinating and amusing. In fact, I think they caught his bowels acting up once on tape during one of his speeches, and forgot to edit it out. Someone probably went to Sobibor for that.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post

What's there to understand about an evil mastermind who committed mass murder?

The pictures are interesting because you get used to seeing him/them in B/W and just disassociate the images with living flesh people. Color brings some of that back to life.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

The pictures are interesting because you get used to seeing him/them in B/W and just disassociate the images with living flesh people. Color brings some of that back to life.

If you study his life, and the reason(s) WHY he committed those acts don't you think it would be easier to spot in the future??

Plus, I think studying 'bad' people is very interesting... their minds don't generally work in the same way 'normal' people's do.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If you study his life, and the reason(s) WHY he committed those acts don't you think it would be easier to spot in the future??

Plus, I think studying 'bad' people is very interesting... their minds don't generally work in the same way 'normal' people's do.
Exactly. Simply saying "they were crazy, now they are dead" isn't enough. I personally don't enjoy history "so we aren't doomed to repeat it." Although, I do think that for some it is a good reason.

Any reason to study history is a good one.

Simply ignoring it is folly.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I agree. I suggest studying everybody responsible for the Dresden bombings. Studying the Bolsheviks, NKVD, and the Holocaust against Eastern Europeans resulting from communism would be a worthy endeavor as well.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Disregard.

Last edited by Fontucky; 06-05-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What caused him to do the thing he did? What made him the person he was? Are those not valid questions we should seek to understand? From a social, psychological, behavioral and sometimes medical view point, famously "evil" people are very fascinating to study.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
I think it is always important to accept that people are made up of many layers. To only see the evil outer layer is not the same as recognizing under all that is a real person who had a life and feelings. No one is 100% bad (or good for that matter). It is when the bad takes precedence over the good that a person is capable of doing horrible things out of screwed up perspective.

In determining what went so terribly wrong....perhaps it will help us identify them in the future long before it gets out of hand.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Alright, folks, give Adolf his due.

It's time to put him in historical perspective and not get bogged down by the emotional/social trend of the 20th/21st century.

The Holocaust is a caustic topic. But however tragic it can be, it should not have the historian or the history geeks surrender their reason to their passion.

If we are to draw a parallel between the big heads in history - alexander, the Caesars, Ghengis Khan, Xerxes etc., there is only one common denominator. They were all mass murderers. The extermination of the jewish people after the temple destruction in 70 until Hadrian's deafening extermination decree can give the Holocaust a run for its money. It's just that there was no video documentation of crucifixion, impaling and death in the colosseum.

If Adolf is picked and sliced somewhere between Titus and Domitian, he will NOT have the stigma he is carrying today, even if he had outdone the Holocaust in this age, outdoing his act of the 20th century. He'll be a remote bust in the Louvre and will have a pack of admirers all year.

What many fail to credit is his astronomical rise from a no-man to master of Europe. Nobody's repeated this act since Bonaparte and it's not gonna happen again. He's the last master of Europe.

Has anyone followed his antics from WWI, the 10s, 20s, 30s and the dark 40s (which was overshadowed by the Holocaust)?

He can be the case study in the science of politics/rhetoric/party monoeuvring. He was a great orator. Most of his diatribes were ex tempore. No teleprompters or speech writers, folks. He single-handedly out-ran his opponents. He orchestrated the act of bringing most of Europe to its/his knees. A rare Napoleonic act, which can never be seen again.

But all mad men go insane. His insanity cost him the ultimate prize. Did he ever learn from history? Look a bit farther than Barbarossa and see the vision of Bonaparte, amidst his greatness, retreat back into France, long way from Moscow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History