Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Well if there's anyone who knows about turbo jet engines or prop jets...please let me know...

Although I know the basic function of them, no one has ever explained to me how the intitial rotation is began.

In other words, I know about the compresor blades, and the combustion chamber and the turbane blades that are attached to the propeller shaft....I know all that...

My question how is initial rotation built up in order for the whole process to begin?
Is there like an gas powered or electic powered auxilary motor attached to the shaft?

Kind like how a car has a starter engine to initially crank the shaft?
If anyone knows, please let me know...
Yes, there has to be a starter motor to begin spinning the turbine shaft. Once the compressor begins sending compressed air into the diffuser and fuel and spark are introduced, the engine will run itself just about forever. It only has one moving part, the shaft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, there has to be a starter motor to begin spinning the turbine shaft. Once the compressor begins sending compressed air into the diffuser and fuel and spark are introduced, the engine will run itself just about forever. It only has one moving part, the shaft.
Ok, thanks for sharing that...

I guess what annoys me is that they never mention or show that in cut aways...they never mention or show the starter motor...and to me that's everything...

Unless it's a ram jet, like the kind on the tail of the old Lock head martins...where air from the already moving jet starts the compression effect naturally...(I think that was a very cool concept, almost like free energy, because if I'm correct, ram jets require no fuel right?)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ok, thanks for sharing that...

I guess what annoys me is that they never mention or show that in cut aways...they never mention or show the starter motor...and to me that's everything...

Unless it's a ram jet, like the kind on the tail of the old Lock head martins...where air from the already moving jet starts the compression effect naturally...(I think that was a very cool concept, almost like free energy, because if I'm correct, ram jets require no fuel right?)

No, they still have to have fuel. Sorry, no free rides! LOL

Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, they still have to have fuel. Sorry, no free rides! LOL
Yes you are correct, I just did some research, and indeed they do require fuel...and I learned their not really effeciant at speeds below 600 knots...

So they need booster engines to get them up to that speed...and I learned the first ram jet was invented way back in like 1913 or something...it's amazing how people way back then were thinking so adnvanced...I mean some guys thinking ram jet back in 1913...

And Wilber and Wright were just getting off the ground in their balsa wood bed sheet airplane....wow...

Ok, than the engine that use to mount the tail of the 727 and MD-11 must not have been ramjets...

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Am not an expert on any era of history, history has been a lifelong interest along with other interests. Somewhat informed layman would be more correct. An area of interest that covers all periods is weapons and warfare in general; arms and armor, firearms, things like that. There are two completely different periods that hold the most appeal and are perhaps my strongest. The first is the nearly 400 years of the Indian wars in North America. The second is the last years of the Roman Republic, 133-27 BC.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
The Pacific Theater of Operations, specifically USN and USMC.

Battleships from approx 1890 onwards.

Guderian.

Großdeutschland Division.

WW2 Unterseebooten

Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,466,263 times
I'm generally familiar with military history though without any area of concentration. Maybe WWII, especially in Europe.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,866,453 times
I have a doctorate in management and am supposedly well versed in quantitative and qualitative methods. Not that this means much of anything....
I do know the history of US industrial relations. But there is limited interest in such.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
My background is urban geography/ demography/ geography of crime, so my history knowledge is more about things specific to that.

I really interested in who different countries have the transitions from rural agrarian to industry to post industrial and how it that countries demographics changed through that history.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
I'm not an expert but i love studying ancient western Europe especially the ancient Celts from when they first appeared around 800 b.c. to when Boudica was defeated in 60 a.d. and secondly the last century of the Roman Empire dealing with the numerous Germanic invaders (Franks, Goths, Huns, Vandals) starting with emperor Valens in 365 a.d. to when Odoacer finally took over Italy in 476 a.d.

What is your name?

Roman : Quid Est Nomen Tumm

Celt : Cad Es Anin Duit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History