Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM

54 posts, read 46,903 times

Advertisements

The U.S entered World War 2 in 1941. I read somewhere that the N.Y. Times already reported in 1942 that 1 Million Jews were already killed. D-day did't happen until 1943. I know they had to ship a lot of people over there, but I would think they could have done that is much less time. And I find it hard to believe the U.S didn't know anything of the mass murder before 1941.
My question is - Why did the U.S. wait so long?

So many lives could have been saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,118 times
A minor aside: D-day occured in 1944.

The only thing the US might have conceivably have done was to bomb the rail lines to the concentration camps or threaten those involved with punishment after the war. Most who were threatened would have presumably believed they would get executed if they lost regardless and there was opposition by US military commanders to risk the lives of US service personnel attacking targets with no military value.

Some have suggested that few cared about those being killed or alternately that few who saw them actually believed the reports of mass slaughter comming out of the death camps.

We did nothing to prevent the slaughter in Rwanda - its been suggested we encouraged the slaughter of a half million Indonesian communist in 1965.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
You're saying the NY Times reported in 1942 but D-day didn't happen until 1943? Never-mind the correct year, D-day may forever be the largest amphibious military landing in history. Ike was a heck of a general, but I imagine it required some planning. One year is nothing.

I see your point, though. I'm sure word had gotten out about the genocide prior to the NY Times article. I don't think anyone comprehended the horrors that were being committed, though. I'm reminded of the guy who was trying to warn Elie Wiesel's town in the book, Night. They were warned but did nothing to escape. People heard things but it wasn't enough to move them to drastic actions. Who could imagine what was going on?

Going to war required the support of the people in the U.S. (those were the good ol' days -jk, no politics) People were isolationists back then. It was a big world and few people had ever been to Europe or even find Germany on a map. You're asking why didn't America want to sacrifice lives and resources to fight a distant enemy and protect strangers, Jews. And of course anti-Semitism was not confined to Nazi Germany.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM

472 posts, read 925,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
You're saying the NY Times reported in 1942 but D-day didn't happen until 1943? Never-mind the correct year, D-day may forever be the largest amphibious military landing in history. Ike was a heck of a general, but I imagine it required some planning. One year is nothing.
And given what a close-run thing it eas even in 1944, it's a pretty safe bet that a D-Day attempted in 1943 or earlier would have failed. That doesn't really help the Jews or anyone else.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasse View Post
The U.S entered World War 2 in 1941. I read somewhere that the N.Y. Times already reported in 1942 that 1 Million Jews were already killed. D-day did't happen until 1943. I know they had to ship a lot of people over there, but I would think they could have done that is much less time. And I find it hard to believe the U.S didn't know anything of the mass murder before 1941.

I think you only have to ask yourself the same questions about Cambodia, Tibet or Rwanda, and the answers you come up with will cover WW II exterminations.

On the other hand, consider why we did hurl our soldiers and money into saving Kuwait and Iraq.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,118 times
Nations rarely take actions for humanitarian reasons although sometimes they rationalize actions that way.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The US had always been a country that did not want to get involved in europes contimuing war and strongly disapproved of europes colonial policies. Afetr WWI and the armistice it was even more disallusioned with europe. The country basically saw the votors decide germany's colonies;and cause a geramns to starve. Islation became eeven stronger as far as euopean feelings in the US.So much so that the league of nations was abandoned by the US.Wilson 214 points became a joke really by teh time the war ended.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
Quote:

Not to beat up on you, but...

Where were you in the late 1970's when Pol Pot was killing 2 million people in Cambodia.

Where were you when Stalin was killing millions of Ukrainian citizens.

Where was you voice when Saddam Hussein was using poison gas on the Kurds.

What was your reaction when 1/2 a million Hutu (sp) were killed in Rwanda by the Tutsi.

In short don't pick one outrageous circumstance and say why didn't we do something.

There are simply times when it is not practical to act.

Simply to show it's not all in the past, look forward to the day Tel Avis goes up in a Mushroom cloud because of an Iranian bomb. What are YOU suggesting that we do TODAY to prevent this.

HISTORY IS WHAT OCCURRED, not what we want to have happened.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:

The U.S. was in the grip of pacifist thinking and the people did not believe that the war's in Europe and Asia were America's concern.

FDR knew that if the U.S. didn't get involved to take the war to Europe and Asia we'd be fighting on U.S. soil.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:01 PM

54 posts, read 46,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
A minor aside: D-day occured in 1944.

Sorry for the typo. Yes, 1944.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Yes, it was/is the largest military landing in history, but it was only close to 200k men if I remember correctly. It's not like they didn't have any planes. I think they could have done it in a few months .And the British were already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The US had always been a country that did not want to get involved in europes contimuing war and strongly disapproved of europes colonial policies. Afetr WWI and the armistice it was even more disallusioned with europe. The country basically saw the votors decide germany's colonies;and cause a geramns to starve. Islation became eeven stronger as far as euopean feelings in the US.So much so that the league of nations was abandoned by the US.Wilson 214 points became a joke really by teh time the war ended.
I know, but the U.S. was already involved in WW1. So it wasn't the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakalend View Post
Long story short they did not care. Lots of history is revisionist, people of today like to think that USA and all those other countries invaded germany because they were killing jews. Many western countries inlcuding canada had neo nazi groups that were widespread until the war it is a well documented historical fact and it lead to the largest riot in canadian history known as the christie pits riot in toronto between jews and white supremisct/ nazi sympathsizers. You can check it out more on wiki.
ted to bomb us ships. Us then sent military vessel to protect the ships
The don't care attitude might be one option, but I haven't really read anything so far that led me to believe they didn't care. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History