Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 05:48 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times

Advertisements

Before 1974, I understand the Mayors of DC were appointed. Fine. But who was that man in teh 1870's that was mayor of DC for so many years? Was he appointed or was he elected by the people? Also, was there any other times in DC history that the mayors were elected by the people or was it always by presidential appointments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Before 1974, I understand the Mayors of DC were appointed. Fine. But who was that man in teh 1870's that was mayor of DC for so many years? Was he appointed or was he elected by the people? Also, was there any other times in DC history that the mayors were elected by the people or was it always by presidential appointments?
Sounds like a good history project for you to work on. Maybe a school report.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
I don't know.

But the first elected mayor of DC in the 20th century, Walter Washington, had been the appointed mayor for many years prior to DC getting to elect their mayors in 1974. He was defeated by Marion Barry because he was seen as an "Uncle Tom" who represented DC's African-American elite, while Barry appealed more to working class and more radical African-Americans. It also helped Barry that he had been wounded in the very first act of Islamist terrorism on US soil, when radical Muslims took the DC City Council hostage and Barry was shot - this gave him heroic status.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,719 times
Quote:
The mayor you're referring to was Alexander R. "Boss" Shepherd. Click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Robey_Shepherd .

For a long time in the 20th century, there were no individual "Mayors" but there was always a Board of 3 or 4 (?) Commissioners who were appointed I think by the "District Committee" of the U.S. Congress (?). Some of these Commissioners were prominent merchants, like Gilbert Hahn (who owned a chain of shoe stores) and Hechinger (who owned a chain of home-improvement stores). When Congress finally allowed D.C. to go to a single-Mayor system, the first mayor in the 20th century in the 1960s was Walter Washington, who had a background in planning public housing. Initially Walter Washington was appointed by President Lyndon Johnson, and then was elected to later terms, once elections were allowed). He and his wife continued living in the LeDroit Park area for many years afterward. This information is just what I recall off the top of my head.

Last edited by slowlane; 06-13-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History