Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,256 times

Advertisements

Does anyone like reselling, like buying stuff at a garage sale and then making money on it selling it to someone else or on ebay? If so what are some of the items you find to have the best turn arounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,567 times
The GF and I did this for a couple of years until Ebay raised all their costs. Now it's almost impossible to make anything worth while.

I found that old toys sold the fastest with kitchen collectables like cookie jars, copper pans, and other odds and ends where a close second. Old car parts where good money makers as well but you have to know what you're selling and be able to answer questions. We use to make a sold $300 - $400 a month during the summer but after the rate changes that dropped into the mid $100's and we quit.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Does anyone like reselling, like buying stuff at a garage sale and then making money on it selling it to someone else or on ebay? If so what are some of the items you find to have the best turn arounds?
My wife does this a lot with a local Christian Thrift store. The ministry raises money almost exclusively through its store and she goes to help them out. She does VERY WELL with clothing but she knows what she's doing. Knows what to buy and what will sell. She's amazed me on a lot of the deals she's been able to turn.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 PM

426 posts, read 1,283,018 times
Default reselling

I tried that, did it for five years. Now I have a house full of stuff I can't get rid of. I paid a dollar or two for some of it, now I would be lucky to get a quarter for it. That does'nt count the gas, and the wear and tear on your car. After expenses and taxes there is'nt much left.Some stuff I paid more for because I thought eventually I could get good money for it.
I sold old video games, Movies, music, some toys. The competition is crazy. You see the same people in the same stores, doing the same thing you are trying to do, and they always seem to get there before you.Same with the garage sales.
I could go on, but I gave it up last year.I guess if you have the right stuff it will sell.
With the economy though the only people with extra money to waste on collectibles is rich people.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
I have always found sets of Golf Clubs at garage sales/Estate sales, always do well on E-Bay. Example....a left handed set of Tommy Armour 845's irons with a bag (real good condition) I got for $25.00 and resold on E-Bay for $150.00. I stuck with golf clubs because I know them. That's the key, stick with what you are familiar with.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,512,329 times
Woo Hoo seek n u shall find Just found 3 sets of clubs today at yard sales just need to clean em up an put em on e-bay nice set of Cleveland TA-5's, Nice old set of Wilson Staff PROgressives and a nice set of Powerbilt Tour Actions spent a total of 80 dollars (30, 30, 20) and at min. will sell all 3 for $430 easy $350 profit will be sold and in the mail to new owners by 5/23

Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM

722 posts, read 1,329,323 times
I have found a few items worth more than I paid at swap meets, but I usually make very little profit

usually not more than $10 profit over what I paid, not really worth the trouble, I dont buy to resell anymore, I only buy if I want the item for my collection

Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
I did way back when - at the time, it was nearly 95% sell thru on my stuff on eBay. I don't think I even knew any one with a digital camera. I made 2X as much money at my ebaying just stopping by the local thrifts on the way home from my "real job".

It's really hard to make any money at it now though - too many seller, not enough buyers. Plus eBay isn't courting those type of people the way they did in the beginning.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM

152 posts, read 216,966 times
Yea, eBay is nothing like what it used to be. Every time I go on there looking for something, I sort to the lowest price, then research it a little ... then eventually find out that everyone seems to be buying their stuff from Amazon or other retail stores then just marking it up on eBay.

Ebay seems to be nothing but drop shippers and cheap junk from China nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation