Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,480,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticset View Post
You could take some CE (continuing education) courses at a local community college.

I think this is the best answer. In my city, Leisure Learning Unlimited offers various kinds of Spanish classes: Conversational Spanish, Accelerated Spanish, Speed Spanish, Spanish in the Classroom, Spanish for Law Enforcement, Spanish for Medical Professionals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 PM

445 posts, read 1,606,825 times
I learned Spanish by being dragged to Panama in the middle of my senior year in high school.. Once there I met some guys that had been born and raised there (US citizens) and hung out with them ... It was a form of immersion - BUT I can tell you "If you don't use it - you will lose it" applies to languages... I doubt it I could find the "casa de ****" or get a cervesa fria .. see I can't even type those

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,185,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevev View Post
As you have discovered, the traditional method of learning a language usually involves learning all of the grammar rules and learning translations for hundreds of words. This is great if you are an academic, with the intention of eventually teaching the subject at some level.
This has always been my big objection to the way foreign languages are usually taught. Children do not learn grammar rules as such as they're learning to speak. They learn to speak their native language by imitation, trial and error, and correction. I didn't know what a past participle or misplaced modifier was until I learned English grammar in junior high, but I certainly knew how to speak, read, and understand English quite well before then.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
Have you thought about find a language exchange partner? You can teach and learn at the same time? There are lots of language sites that can help you or even meet up groups, I'm using EASY LANGUAGE EXCHANGE where I've met a few good natives.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,093,343 times
Check out this site Spanish Language: Learn Spanish grammar, vocabulary and culture which is updated frequently

Watch Spanish Cable T.V. programs - some of them, like the travel programs, and the reality shows, have English sub-titles you can glance at while you're listening to the Spanish dialogue.

Read the Spanish translation on product instructions, and product packaging. Read the bilingual signs at Lowe's hardware.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 PM

43,776 posts, read 44,546,405 times
Total immersion is the best method. I would suggest considering going to Ecuador as an option.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,943 times
Plenty of options available Rosetta Stone, taking a class at a community college, see what you could find

Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,283 times
I can highly recommend to study Spanish in Alicante. It is a very nice city on the coast. There are no dialects. I have studied in Elcano Spanish school. (Escuela de español · Spanish School ::: J. SEBASTIAN ELCANO) There are good teachers, the prices of the courses are very favorable. They also organize a lot of activities and trips and they can offer you accommodation in a shared flat or in a family.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
Post Why no one mentioned this ?

[url=http://www.learntospeak.org/spanish-language-fluently-fast-in-60-days/]Learn to Speak Spanish Language in 60 Days - 100% Guarantee[/url] how to learn spanish fast and easy this one helped me a lot at the beginning

Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,116,016 times
Plenty of good advice already, but if I may add one more use children's books in the language you wish to learn. I found this helpful.

I've heard of people learning a language with a partner that wants to learn your language.

Say I want to learn Chinese, I find a Chinese person who wants to learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation