Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,153 times

Advertisements

I love to stamp and make cards for fun. I also like to paint child sized furniture - such as rocking chairs, step stools, frames. I'd love to exchange tips, ideas and of course, see what you have made! Please share and don't be afraid to gush!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Default Love to paint!

I paint furniture, and anything else. I always say, "if it stands still long enough, I'll paint it". A number of years ago I took Donna Dewberry's workshop - and have been enjoying painting everything since! I love to paint furniture - painted a dresser for a little girl, and had a lot of requests for mailboxes. It was all I was painting for a while there! (not complaining). Enjoyed every minute of it. Where are your photos, calidreemer?
Attached Thumbnails
Are there any fellow stampers or furniture painters out there?-cardinals-other-side2.jpg   Are there any fellow stampers or furniture painters out there?-cardinal-mailbox.jpg   Are there any fellow stampers or furniture painters out there?-dresser-001a.jpg   Are there any fellow stampers or furniture painters out there?-nightstand-001.jpg   Are there any fellow stampers or furniture painters out there?-mailbox-puppy.jpg  

Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM

I tried to post my pictures earlier, but each time I try my computer freezes and I have to shut down. I am doing something wrong. Anyway your work is beautiful! I love it! Do you use acrylics? The dog is so cute! It sounds like you might have started a little business here. How's that going?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
I tried to post my pictures earlier, but each time I try my computer freezes and I have to shut down. I am doing something wrong. Anyway your work is beautiful! I love it! Do you use acrylics? The dog is so cute! It sounds like you might have started a little business here. How's that going?
Thanks!

I just do this for fun. Friends and their friends ask me to make something. The cardinal mailbox was a gift for a couple that got married and just moved into their first home. That's why I put the whimsical cardinal lovebirds on the one side of it.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 AM

They are really cute (cardinals). Where do you find the furniture to paint and how do you come up with the designs? The dresser is so simple yet beautiful and the dresser itself is very nice and you made it even more beautiful!

I find my furniture at flea markets usually. There are always interesting little chairs and step stools at these places and they are usually under $20. My parents found a really cute round table and four chairs at an antique store that they got for me to paint. I've had it a couple of years and I haven't been able to decide what I want to do with it. One day I'll get an inspiration and then I'll just go!

Do you do any other crafts? Have you painted any frames or do you make other things?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
They are really cute (cardinals). Where do you find the furniture to paint and how do you come up with the designs? The dresser is so simple yet beautiful and the dresser itself is very nice and you made it even more beautiful!

I find my furniture at flea markets usually. There are always interesting little chairs and step stools at these places and they are usually under $20. My parents found a really cute round table and four chairs at an antique store that they got for me to paint. I've had it a couple of years and I haven't been able to decide what I want to do with it. One day I'll get an inspiration and then I'll just go!

Do you do any other crafts? Have you painted any frames or do you make other things?

Your set with table and chairs sounds lovely. Is it a small child's set, or "full size" ? It would be pretty decorated, I'm sure. I find my things wherever I happen to spot them - usually yard sales, sometimes flea markets, but they're more expensive there. Auctions are also good - sometimes you an pick up something that nobody else wants because there's no resale value, but you can decorate it and it becomes a lovely piece that everyone will want! Make nice gifts, too.

The dresser is about 60 years old, it belonged to the little girl's dad when he was a little boy. It was painted dark, and covered with sports stickers! Now, his little girl is enjoying it. I'm happy to do things like that.

I do other crafts too - and try my hand at new things. I've been itching to try sculpting. I used to restore antique frames for museums and historical homes. I learned from an old master of gilding. He taught gold leafing the way the old craftsmen used to do. At that time, I was the only one in my state doing it. It's nice to walk into the State Capitol and see an historic portrait in a frame that I restored. That was a very satisfying and absorbing craft. I still pick up an old frame here and there. I have some big, ornate ones that need to be regilded, but I don't know what I'll do with them when they're done! They're too big for my small abode. Need a mansion for them.

Oh, yes - I paint walls, too. Decorate them with vines and flowers, etc. Did a little girl's room with a castle. Walls stand still and are easy to paint.

I like to paint my animals on river rocks, but don't know where to find them around here, so I paint them on other things. Sometimes on fabric (T-shirts), or tote bags.

Do you go to craft shows?

Last edited by swbtoo; 07-19-2008 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: word

Old 07-19-2008, 10:55 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
I love stamping and stenciling. I love to paint furniture, walls, anything. In my old home, I painted my little girl's room to look like the outdoors. Her bed was a picket fence, and I painted a tree next to it. Flowers adorned the bottom border with butterflies and little birds on the walls. But alas, the little girl grew up and we painted over it She wanted her room painted and wanted it to have a jungle theme, then we sold the house. We also painted our boys' room to look like the side of the roadway. The whole wall was a mural of a roadway with cute cars and the "garage" was the wall next to it. I painted the closet doors to look like old beat up doors and my husband put up a half "brick" wall.
I am going to look up those pics and put them up in an album on my profile. I LOVE stenciling and painting furniture. Right now we are painting my little boy's room in a Star Wars theme. We are planning to paint a mural with Obi Wan, R2 and some other character my 5 year old likes.
My 16 year old daughter wants her room to be like the Nightmare before Christmas. But she is an artist too, so she'll do that herself

Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 AM

CTR, it all sounds delightful! Those rooms "grow up" with the children, with a new design for each stage of childhood/youth. How lucky kids these days are! Especially when they have great parents like you seem to be.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I do other crafts too - and try my hand at new things. I've been itching to try sculpting. I used to restore antique frames for museums and historical homes. I learned from an old master of gilding. He taught gold leafing the way the old craftsmen used to do. At that time, I was the only one in my state doing it. It's nice to walk into the State Capitol and see an historic portrait in a frame that I restored. That was a very satisfying and absorbing craft. I still pick up an old frame here and there. I have some big, ornate ones that need to be regilded, but I don't know what I'll do with them when they're done! They're too big for my small abode. Need a mansion for them.
Ok - so you are really serious (can you see me bowing down to you). I just do this for fun. The table set is child sized and I want to paint it but I haven't had the right inspiration just yet. I don't like to paint until I feel inspired or it always turns out wrong. I wish I could get my pictures loaded but I think they are too big and I haven't been able to down size them. I'll have to figure this out. I'd like to show you a rocking chair I did (my first) that I gave to a friend for her work's art auction. I love Beatrix Potter and do a lot of her stuff and things like that for kids. I also did Toot and Puddle - little pigs from a series of children's books for my sister's friend whose boys loved Toot and Puddle. I also did a frame and child chair for another friend's fund raiser. Like you I enjoy doing these projects and giving them away for gifts or charities.

CTR your rooms sound so cute! I would love to see pictures! I love to stamp too and enjoy making cards with my stamps. I'd love to see those.

I would love to see this thread keep going and have people exchange tips, tricks and ideas.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Yeah that would be cool to have a crafts/stamping/scrapbooking forum! I am going to have to scan my things and pics since I can't find the digital files now
Once we finish the Star Wars room I'll post those on here.
I love decorating too. My husband and I love to do faux finish. We recently updated our kitchen. We removed the hideous wallpaper and went down to Home Depot to have some custom color paint for the kitchen.I have this beautiful blue pitcher from Southern Living at Home and I have always wanted a kitchen in that color. So my husband did some faux texture and we painted the kitchen this color. It is gorgeous!! We get so many complements.
Any ways, i'll get busy making up some digital albums and post links here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation