Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times

Advertisements

I can't stand the cycling and turning your back to the defensive player when you are along the boards to try to goad a boarding/hit from behind penalty.

I do miss a good playoff fight, where non goons fight due to emotion.
I also miss the old pushing and shoving in front of the net when the forward is trying to claim position to screen the goalie and the D is trying to prevent it.

While the league needs it Crosbys and Zetterbergs, it also needs its Malones, Holmstroms, and Orpiks.

Take the toughness out of hockey and it becomes soccer on fast forward: Boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:03 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I can't stand the cycling and turning your back to the defensive player when you are along the boards to try to goad a boarding/hit from behind penalty.

I do miss a good playoff fight, where non goons fight due to emotion.
I also miss the old pushing and shoving in front of the net when the forward is trying to claim position to screen the goalie and the D is trying to prevent it.

While the league needs it Crosbys and Zetterbergs, it also needs its Malones, Holmstroms, and Orpiks.

Take the toughness out of hockey and it becomes soccer on fast forward: Boring
Hockey will always be tough, even without fighting. Football is tough, and as soon as guys start pushing and shoving, the refs move in and pull them apart. It's not part of the game, and it doesn't need to be. If guys want to fight, let 'em take up boxing.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 AM

I disagree. Fighting has always been part of the game. I don't mean the BS lets take 5 minutes to start this fight at center ice as the music starts blaring, or the new technique of swinging around and around while trying to fight. I'm talking about a good clean scrap between 2 willing partners to get out their frustration.

I'd much rather see that than a cheap shot elbow to the head or two handed stick to the face.

Last edited by NSHL10; 06-16-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
As Mickey Redmond says, a good old-fashioned rhubarb!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I disagree. Fighting has always been part of the game. I don't mean the BS lets take 5 minutes to start this fight at center ice as the music starts blaring, or the new technique of swinging around and around while trying to fight. I'm talking about a good clean scrap between 2 willing partners to get out their frustration.

I'd much rather see that than a cheap shot elbow to the head or two handed stick to the face.
See, this is what I don't get. So many people think that if you take the fighting out of hockey, players will resort to cheap shots. Why? Fighting isn't allowed in football, and I don't see a rash of cheap shots in football. European hockey players seem to get by just fine without fighting, too. Is there something about North American players, that if they don't fight, they'll take another outlet? If you've got the adrenaline flowing, channel it toward a big open-ice hit, or smashing someone into the boards.

Sorry, but just because fighting has "always" been a part of the game doesn't mean it always has to be. I know I'm in the minority on this, but players don't need to fight to play a good game. Dropping the gloves has nothing to do with the game -- in my opinion, it makes the whole thing look amateurish, like football in the 1950s and earlier, when scraps were common and (surprise!) nobody took the game seriously.

If hockey ever wants to grow, it has to get beyond the idea that fights are a part of the game. I think they're an embarrassment, especially when the refs skate in circles around the contestants and just WATCH until someone hits the ice. GET IN THERE AND BREAK IT UP!!!! This isn't the UFC, for crying out loud. I'd love nothing more than to see anyone who drops his gloves get an automatic game misconduct and a hefty fine.

And mind you, this comes from somebody who loves full-contact sports. Football, hockey, and rugby are at the top of my list. I just want to see the contact occurring as part of a hard-fought game, not as some extracurricular side show.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM

First of all, forget hockey growing. With Gary Buttman's decision to go to Versus (gee I didn't know cable boxes had numbers that go that high) we will be lucky to keep the fans we have. Fighting sells. When a fight happens, almost everyone is on their feet. Sometimes its the only reason to keep on watching a 6-2 blow out......maybe "something " will happen.

I think a big difference between football and hockey is the length of time people are actually PLAYING. Football plays usually last under 11 seconds, then they huddle for 30 seconds before playing again. Time to cool off mentally. Still, I see plenty of chop blocks that can end a guy's career. Maybe if the offensive lineman knew if he throws a chop block his opponent is going to kick the crap put of him would prevent him from throwing it in the first place.
Hockey can go for minutes without stopping. This can build up emotion in the players, and sometimes they let loose via fighting. Still fighting is much less prevalent than it was in the 70s or 80s.

Instead of eliminating fighting, I'd rather see no touch icing initiated. Far more players are hurt that way, with more cheap shots given than at any other time of the game.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:08 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
To anyone: What about this idea, get rid of the instigator penalty, but only allow someone one fight per game? Fights would be treated like a technical foul in the NBA instead, of you get 2 then you're thrown out and if you get a certain # of "2 fight games, then fines start, if it's more than say 5 or 7, then supsensions start.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
To anyone: What about this idea, get rid of the instigator penalty, but only allow someone one fight per game? Fights would be treated like a technical foul in the NBA instead, of you get 2 then you're thrown out and if you get a certain # of "2 fight games, then fines start, if it's more than say 5 or 7, then supsensions start.
Would it be considered a fight if the gloves don't come off? ...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Would it be considered a fight if the gloves don't come off? ...
No, those are usually roughing penalties anyway.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Get rid of all the anti-fighting rules!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey