Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times

Advertisements

I'm not rich, so I can't hire out. But about every 5 yrs (maybe less) I love to change decor styles...it was easy when I had a small home. I have a colonial home in the south. We were going to move a while back, and I had planned to decorate in a coastal/plantation style...kinda like Charleston, Savannah...if you've been there. Well we decided not to move. But I'm still craving that style...but my house is more in deep earthtones...golds, rusts, all walls are SW whole wheat, that type of thing...not a drop of blue downstairs at all. We have all wood floors & tons of moulding, and dark wood furniture, so the style would work well. My master is silver sage & the right style, but I'd really like to "convert" the downstairs...without costing a fortune. I mean I know I'd have to replace some wall art. I just have no idea where to start....I wish I could find a way to "crossover" gradually into that style. Has anyone done this type of thing? Hope doesn't sound too wierd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM

114 posts, read 850,201 times
Not weird at all. We bought a lot of stuff for our old apt before buying a house. It's all dark, red tones. And our house is light, airy, breezy, by the water cottage/beach house kinda of vibe...we're transitioning one shade at a time.

I find that having a "vision board" helps too, be it in your mind or actually making one. And little by little, every time we go out, the palette jumps out right at me.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks dewdrop...I just purchased a few pieces of NC pottery this weekend that are in beautiful blues and greens and I've set them out on my tables...I'm hoping they will inspire the conversion. I think I want to do my dining room first...its small and easy to paint : )

Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I still love the furniture I bought 30 years ago at Goodwill, and everything else I've accumulated over the years. I have no intention of ever dumping any of it.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 AM

I'm not getting rid of furniture....just changing the decor colors mainly to reflect a beachier style. I like my dark wood. But I'll admit...I'd have a hard time keeping something 30 yrs...except maybe my DH : )

Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
It's not weird at all. Unfortunately many design visual sources like to push toward starting all over again via dumping everything and starting over with a formulaic/theme-like look. Personally I find the "suggestion" of a look more stylish and more personal. Pretty much any wall color can be transformed into most any style. Your deep earthtones can still be utilized by transforming existing furniture into more of a coastal style utilizing slipcovers and throw pillows in lighter solids and stripes. Accessories and wall art will help with the remainder. Have fun with it!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
When we moved to our home 2 years ago, I decided I wanted to steer my decorating style more towards transitional rather than the traditional with antiques that I have used for many years....but no matter how hard I tried, I was not satisfied with the transitional style - my style is traditional with antiques....for the kitchen I like a more contemporary setting - sleek, clean with pops of orange, lime green, turquoise, hand thrown pottery, baskets, stainless and exotic granite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating