Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 1,760 times

Advertisements

Remodeling our 1000 sq.ft. 1950's 2br 1ba ranch after living here for 10 years, plan to stay here a while more. We removed a massive unneeded attic staircase that took up the whole center of the house pretty much and relocated the laundry from that area also. Doing so gained us a whole new section of floorspace in the house! We are unsure how to go about the layout options now.

The first picture would keep the entry door where it is, and turn that room into a entry/bonus? room... then move the living room to the new floorspace so it's next to the kitchen. The downside will be that the setup would need to face the bathroom door (and laundry and bedroom 1 doors but to a lesser degree).

The second picture shows something I'm having a hard time envisioning in real life, but the picture seems to make sense along with increasing the house value most likely? Removing the current entry door, turning that front room into a 3rd 12x12 bedroom. The new entry would be the door we currently use anyway to enter the house through the screen room porch (driveway pulls right up to it). The blue lines would be a new L wall to build the new kitchen within. The space behind the blue L would form a mini hallway almost 4ft wide. The actual kitchen L would be roughly 12x7.

The bathroom location and door cannot be moved. We are trying to figure out which layout makes more sense and is "less offensive placement" next to the bathroom. Has anyone seen a living room where the TV setup is right next to a bathroom door? Would it be better or worse for the kitchen to be partially opened up to it? Same for that bedroom 1, is it strange to have a bedroom that close to the kitchen? We both grew up in strange house layouts, her parents place actually has the master bed and a bathroom directly across from kitchen counters. I threw in some room measurements to make it easier to eyeball the kitchen and living room space dimensions. Thank you for any help / advice / opinions!!!

Last edited by NJvoid; 02-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: linked pictures incorrectly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Pictures seem to disappear after posting, I'm assuming it's because I'm a new member?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,960,934 times
Looks like you may have included the link to the imgur.com website, and not to the actual image. Next time you post an image, try to find the image web address that includes ".jpg" at the end.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Thank you Geneyus, I edited original post with correct links

Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 PM

730 posts, read 1,659,209 times
Leave the kitchen as it is in plan #1 but put the front door in the place where it is in plan #2.

Swap the bathroom and the laundry room and put a 2nd door to the bathroom in the bedroom.

Enclose the screened in porch and put the front door on the exterior wall.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Hire an architect.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,292 times
I like plan 2.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I like Peabodyn's plan. I would not want the bathroom opening into a living area. But I don't like the kitchen in the central area of the house, either.

If you move your entry door to your enclosed porch, make sure it is obvious to anyone that your front door is there.

It is interesting and fun to plan remodeling your house, but get an architect or designer to advise you and draw up plans. There are probably many things you do not know about remodeling your house. You need professional advice.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
I like plan 2 but agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post

Swap the bathroom and the laundry room and put a 2nd door to the bathroom in the bedroom.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Plan 2 is better I like that entrance there.

My inlaws had a bathroom off the living room and when they sold it they were told they had a lower appraisal because of that. Don't know if it still holds true or not but it wasn't very nice. I would put a wall in front of the bathroom for the cupboards and make the hallway entrance to the bath and laundry from the left of the cupboards. Not put up the wall for the cupboards on the lower side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating