Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 13,261 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of redoing my room but I'm having a hard time finding a bedroom set I truly love. I saw this in the store and liked it, but have yet to buy it because when looking at the pics I took I'm starting to think it might look too masculine for a 21 year old female? Maybe if I dress it up with a prissy comforter and flowers on the wall it would work? My walls are green and I don't plan on getting the gray comforter. Basically I just wanted some other opinions on the set, if it's too masculine or not. Pictures of it...

The bed:

Desk:

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
I like it. Go with a look that appeals to you instead of relying on some gender stereotype of what you're 'supposed to' like. You're the one that looks at and uses that furniture every day, and your likes should come first and foremost.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM

30,541 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I like it too, and like beachmouse said, you're going to live with it.

and pay for it. Would you be happy with a foufou style?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,558,440 times
I like it. Not to masculine for my taste.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
Your bedroom is your sanctuary and you should have the furniture that you like. However, since you are questioning how it looks, I would continue to look around. You will never get rid of that feeling. Yes, you can dress it up, but is that really what you want to do in order to be more comfortable with the look? Your taste will change in the next few years, so maybe you should look for something that will stand the test of time. I see the price on desk is about $700. If this is your price range, make the rounds of high-end furniture stores since so many are having great sales. If, after you have done so and you still like this furniture, go for it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM

79 posts, read 114,098 times
I think the set could work for either sex. Maybe the problem you are having in finding a bedroom "set" is that it boxes you in to a commitment for the room that you aren't in love with as a whole. What I would do is find one piece from a bedroom set that I really liked. For example, with this set, my favorite piece would be the dresser and that is all I would buy from the set. Then I would simply buy a metal bedframe with roller feet for $35 that would be hidden under a great, comfortable mattress. Either that or build a simple wood floor frame to hold the mattress. Top the mattress with bedding that really speaks to you. I think some of the best rooms come from pieces added over time. Furniture doesn't have to match, and a blend of pieces you really like makes a more personal statement of who you are. Based on this set, it looks like you may want storage for books and a desk. Go for it, just don't limit yourself to making it part of a "set." That's how I would approach it.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,742 times
I don't think its too masculine. I like the storage in the headboard and the color of the wood, but if you're not sure then keep looking. What are the features that you are looking for? Do you need something with a lot of storage, do you like modern clean lines? Think about what it is about the set that you do like and what it is that might be throwing you off. You'll figure it out.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times
To me, the furniture looks neutral - for a guy or a girl. But like others have said, don't worry about what people think and if you like it, get it.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:33 PM

30,541 posts, read 16,236,133 times
just noticed the desk-it's made for a left hander-note the lamp is on the right. Being a lefty and having put up with rt hander desks for ages upon ages, if you're not left handed, tell them you want the same style but for a rt handed person. (if you decide to buy it)

Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM

759 posts, read 3,145,704 times
The thing I don't like about it is that it's too matchy-matchy. I would maybe geta different chest of drawers or at the very least, get a different mirror, maybe a round one. I just don't like mirrors attached to dressers.

I love going to Ikea and seeing how they mix furniture in rooms, but I know it's a matter of personal taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating