Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 AM

12 posts, read 31,505 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a tile in our kitchen for quite sometime. I am pretty picky so I was very surprised when I found a modern looking 16 x 16 tile from Bargain Outlets, a discount home builder store.
I prefer a landscape tile (12 x 24) but I settled for the 16x16 light gray -wood grain looking tile. I also found the same tile in dark brown tile that I may be able to cut into 1.5inch x 16 strips to accent with.
The Tile name on the box is Celima and they are made in Peru. I realize the wood grained tile is a hard sell for some, but I like the simplicity and neutral color this will offer in our contemporary home. I have not unloaded them yet.....I was hoping to see if anyone had any insight on the product.
Did I buy a crappy tile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Not familiar with the particular brand you mention, but I like the tiles that look like wood.
The only problem I can see is the wood grain might catch dirt?
Also, depending on the hue of gray that the tile is, that might limit you as far as color schemes in the room you are installing the tile in.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:24 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
Crappy? Probably not. While there are some differences in the clays used, if it's sold as a floor tile, you can expect that it'll at least perform as such.

Are there any PEI ratings on it? That would indicate its surface durability too. 1 is the lowest, and is suggested for wall use only. 5 is the highest, and suitable for heavy commercial areas.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks for your input. I do not see a PEI. All is see is Tono (tone?) 04 and Formato (format?) 2.
It is listed as a floor/wall tile.
I know how much a picture helps, so I would like to attach one here to show my idea with the 1.5" accent strip. Really not sure of a floor design yet, as the kitchen is still being planned. It will be very subtle if I use the accent strip. How do I attach photos? I am new to this forum. I see the icon above this text box but it doesnt allow me to attach. Here is a link to the web albumn. https://picasaweb.google.com/sundanc...36227072618738

Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATT733 View Post
Thanks for your input. I do not see a PEI. All is see is Tono (tone?) 04 and Formato (format?) 2.
It is listed as a floor/wall tile.
I know how much a picture helps, so I would like to attach one here to show my idea with the 1.5" accent strip. Really not sure of a floor design yet, as the kitchen is still being planned. It will be very subtle if I use the accent strip. How do I attach photos? I am new to this forum. I see the icon above this text box but it doesnt allow me to attach. Here is a link to the web albumn. https://picasaweb.google.com/sundanc...36227072618738
Unfortunately, since you are a new member, you cant post links or pix yet, your post count has to be a bit higher, I think its 20 or 30 posts?
I would like to see the kitchen plans, and having some knowledge of what you are plannig to put into the kitchen as far as cabinetry, etc.
Hard to give advice without all that.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATT733 View Post
I have been looking for a tile in our kitchen for quite sometime. I am pretty picky so I was very surprised when I found a modern looking 16 x 16 tile from Bargain Outlets, a discount home builder store.
I prefer a landscape tile (12 x 24) but I settled for the 16x16 light gray -wood grain looking tile. I also found the same tile in dark brown tile that I may be able to cut into 1.5inch x 16 strips to accent with.
The Tile name on the box is Celima and they are made in Peru. I realize the wood grained tile is a hard sell for some, but I like the simplicity and neutral color this will offer in our contemporary home. I have not unloaded them yet.....I was hoping to see if anyone had any insight on the product.
Did I buy a crappy tile?

One thing you have to watch for at discount tile stores, including the big box stores is they sell seconds. These tiles will have a blemish in some and all will be odd shaped by as much as 1/8" inch and will be real hard keeping the in line in long runs.

One easy way to check is to look for a green crayon mark on the box or the first tile if it's exposed. Another way to check is to measure the tile. If it's 16"x16" tiles they should measure 16"x 16" not 16"x 15 7/8".

busta

Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi- My color scheme is simple. The entire first floor is a warm light gray with lighter, almost white trim and espresso wood floors. We have a reddiish-brown accent wall going up the stairs. We knocked out a wall between the dining/living and the kitchen, so I plan to carry that same gray color into the kicthen. The tile I selected looks great with the color and I think adding the brown strip will tie in the hardwood. I am very concerned about the quality of the tile. I just need to know. I have 13 cartons in my car right now!!!
Were you able to copy the link I sent and put into browser?
The kitchen design is no where near completion, I am sending back the first set with my many comments (she has my 36" fridge at 30"!!!) I plan to either get a dark colored wood, flat panel for simple clean lines or I may check out mixing it up with some laminate or the gloosy ones from Ikea. I have a source that is pushing Contractor's Choice for the cabnetry. Is this bottom of the barrel? I read (on a different thread) it is a division of Aristrokraft. I am also having them price Wellborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating