Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 66,718 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a condo and need to decide what color hardwood flooring to go with.

I initially picked a dark hardwood floor but since the living room and dining room are open with the kitchen, I'm thinking it might be too much of the same dark wood color. What do you think?
This is the floor i initially picked

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 AM

171 posts, read 790,437 times
Pretty kitchen!
Would you consider doing a travertine floor in the kitchen and maybe the hardwoods everywhere else?
I am thinking it will indeed be a bit dark to use the dark wood floors up against those cabinets.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
I have seen some nice results with cork flooring. Seems to be really durable but not too dark.
Here is a random link.
Cork Flooring Info :: Cork Flooring Products

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
I agree with art-teacher-mom, travertine would be beautiful with your cabinets and counters. I would do a light colored travertine. Medium to dark wood floors for other areas. Travertine and wood floors that run up to one another look very rich (IMO).

Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I wouldn't put hardwood in a kitchen, second to the bathroom it's the wettest room in the house. Try slate or tile for the kitchen.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 66,718 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I chose a flooring thats a few shades lighter than the cabinets. The kitchen/dining room/ living room is all open to each other so I wanted to keep one flooring throughout the area. Ill post some pics once the flooring is installed.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 108,038 times
This is probably too late to be useful to you, but I have a an accent strip of dark red/brown wood (Sapele) in my otherwise honey-oak floored kitchen, and I am so glad I didn't do the whole floor in that dark wood. We have 2 cats, and it shows cat hair, dirt, and water stains like you wouldn't believe. Its absolutely beautiful wood when its clean, but it is impossible to keep it that way (and its only a very small area).

Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,185 times
I really, really don't like to see two different colors of wood flooring side by side. And I think a dark floor in that kitchen will make the whole room look like a big, dark hole.

Tile would have been a nice change but if you must go with wood, I think Entropy had the solution. Incorporating some wood that matches the other rooms, while leaving the majority a much lighter shade, would seem to have solved all of the problems.

Excellent suggestion Entropy....and one I had never considered before.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
I go back and forth on having wood in the kitchen, but the rule of thumb is that it's generally best to have the flooring and counter tops in similar colors. I know you've made a decision, but a lighter floor would look best.

Decorchallenged, mixing wood is an art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating