Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Way back before folks had combo ovens that could cook all sorts of things, appliances for every kind of hot or cold beverage, a dozen different ways to hide dishwashing machines, refrigerators, freezers and pretty much any other functional need in a kitchen "three points" might have been helpful. Now it just makes a lot more sense that home owners and their guests will be sipping wine, espresso or frozen blended drinks in one part of the kitchen while some one else is stir frying or using a broiler in other part of the kitchen and still another prep area is being used to get things set-up for pastries or ice cream.

Galley is not to be automatically rejected, but if the traffic patterns are such that every one is forced to shout out like some one at a ski area or an episode of Chopped (behind, on your left, hot door...) you will regret it...

The different functional activities that are likely to have some interaction from guests are almost certainly better laid out around the various appliance and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
From a cooks point of view, I have to say I much prefer a galley style kitchen, as they are much more efficient if they are designed with the work triangle in mind.
Nothing worse than having to gallop around the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Way back before folks had combo ovens that could cook all sorts of things, appliances for every kind of hot or cold beverage, a dozen different ways to hide dishwashing machines, refrigerators, freezers and pretty much any other functional need in a kitchen "three points" might have been helpful. Now it just makes a lot more sense that home owners and their guests will be sipping wine, espresso or frozen blended drinks in one part of the kitchen while some one else is stir frying or using a broiler in other part of the kitchen and still another prep area is being used to get things set-up for pastries or ice cream.

Galley is not to be automatically rejected, but if the traffic patterns are such that every one is forced to shout out like some one at a ski area or an episode of Chopped (behind, on your left, hot door...) you will regret it...

The different functional activities that are likely to have some interaction from guests are almost certainly better laid out around the various appliance and such.
Heh-heh.....I used to cook professionally, what you describe as a Chopped episode is called the touch-back system, one of the first things you learn in the restaurant world if one does not want to get burned.
Some people dont actually like a pile of folks in their kitchen while they are cooking, some do, I am in the former category.
Different strokes.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM

63 posts, read 129,300 times
You already waited this long, take your time, do your research on what you like, get recommendations from friends in the area from contractors to plumbers (I have some for anyone in southeast WI) and have a plan. We finished off our basement and the best investment we made was in our architect. The plans were so detailed from electric, lighting and overall design the actually process was simple. Now we spent around 6 months working on the plan, but it was well worth it (fyi, 2000 sq ft). We did self contract out, but we also knew a lot of people too. If you have well laid out plans any good contractor be it plumber or carpenter should be able to look at them and know what to do. Depends entirely on your comfort level, but it can be done and it does save money being your own general contractor. If on the other hand you are not comfortable with self-contracting each part, save more and find a good general contractor, your kitchen is worth it!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
From a cooks point of view, I have to say I much prefer a galley style kitchen, as they are much more efficient if they are designed with the work triangle in mind.
Oh, I agree. I'm not much for them because I, like plaidmom, am a bit claustrophobic and am more of a fan of a big country kitchen. But when done right -- and with enough windows to ease the claustrophobia! -- galley kitchens are amazingly efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Adding a superfluous island doesn't really help.
Islands annoy me. One more thing to bump into!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Now it just makes a lot more sense that home owners and their guests will be sipping wine, espresso or frozen blended drinks in one part of the kitchen while some one else is stir frying or using a broiler in other part of the kitchen and still another prep area is being used to get things set-up for pastries or ice cream.
You've been watching too much HGTV ...

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I currently have a nicely configured kitchen with a huge island that I seriously love to pieces but my last home had what I would call enlarged galley style kitchen - we designed and had the kitchen completely remodeled and it was a lovely kitchen with lots of bells and whistles.

After having lived with the two styles I have to say I prefer the kitchen I have now. The island separates the cooking areas from the public/eating areas....I use it for large buffets (serving from two sides), folding laundry, sorting through mail, etc. It is fabulous when I'm baking and cooking as I can have my food processor, cutting boards, mixer, cooling racks, etc. alll on the island at the same time near the oven, sink, fridge, etc.

Rather than dismiss the idea of an island or a galley style kitchen, really analyze how you use your kitchen - do you use it to serve in? Is it a gathering place for guests when they come? Do you cook much? Lots of baking or not? How does your family use the kitchen?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,180 times
He will be here at 4 tomorrow!!!!! I cleaned the kitchen an took a bunch of pics. I am excited and still a little scared. So many choices that I can get wrong, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating