Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,244 times

Advertisements

So my mother is trying to pick out curtains to go over two standard sized windows in our newly floored, painted, and furnitured living/dining rooms.

I will brief this by saying I don't know much about decorating/matching. She thinks she does, but they also didn't see the problem with keeping forest green carpets in another room when they changed the walls from beige to a red-ish pink.

So her first inclination is to get beige/brown curtains to match the color of the furniture. I am trying to suggest that choosing colors involves a bit more skill than exact-matching one color pattern for everything. I was thinking something that will complement/pop nicely like a red color.

Suggestions? Pictures of patterns/colors you think would go well?
Attached Thumbnails
Curtain Color Suggestions (with pics)-photo-1.jpg   Curtain Color Suggestions (with pics)-photo-2.jpg   Curtain Color Suggestions (with pics)-photo-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Its hard to tell with a picture since the true color rarely comes through. I'm seeing some rust beige and brown. Does that seem about right? If so, I'd go with a yellow pallet (pale yellow all the way down to gold would work) to keep the space bright. You could also get a small area rug in the same tones to ground the space and color. As for patterns, I'd go with long solid colors. Just get some swatches and see what you like.

I wouldn't go red as it always seems to close a space in rather than open it. Thats just my personal taste of course.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Its hard to tell with a picture since the true color rarely comes through. I'm seeing some rust beige and brown. Does that seem about right? If so, I'd go with a yellow pallet (pale yellow all the way down to gold would work) to keep the space bright. You could also get a small area rug in the same tones to ground the space and color. As for patterns, I'd go with long solid colors. Just get some swatches and see what you like.

I wouldn't go red as it always seems to close a space in rather than open it. Thats just my personal taste of course.

I like the yellowish-gold idea. It is hard to make out the colors in the pics.

OP: Use this site (HGTV) as a resource for your decorating.

Window Treatments - Ideas for Curtains, Valances, Drapes & Blinds : HGTV - Home & Garden Television

Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
I am assuming thast the pix are of the room in question.......if so, there is more than 1 problem here.
First, there is way too much furniture for such a small room.
Second, I am not seeing anything in that room that will have anything in common with red.
Its very difficult to introduce a color that has nothing in common with the rest of the room.
Third, how about some pix of the windows?
Last but not least, the room in question is begging for an area rug, as well as some accessories.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
I would pick out a color in one of the throw pillows or use the same fabric from one of the pillows for the curtains. I agree with you that the room needs a punch somewhere-everything is the "same". I also agree there is just WAY too much in that room.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
First, it would be very helpful to know the dimensions of the room although as previously noted that is way too much furniture for the area. Second perhaps a new photo in either daylight or artificial light that really shows the colors in the fabric. For example, in the third picture (assuming the fabrics are identical, which may be wrong to begin with) one looks brownish and the other has a grey brown beige look. Possibly a single cushion in better light if all else is impossible. Also take a long shot of the room so we can get a sense of how the room flows. The colors are too tough to determine as they are now shown.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I think you need to address the wall color first. It's a pretty color but it does not go well with the furniture at all.

You need to move that big sofa to the wall opposite of the entry hall, the wall where the piano is located. It's just way too big. You shouldn't be looking at the sides of furniture when entering the room. The piano needs to go in the corner near the hallway, where the loveseat is currently located. You can group the chair or loveseat with the sofa, along the front window wall. One or the other HAS to go, there's not enough room for a sofa, loveseat and chair in that room, not with that overstuffed furniture style.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think you need to address the wall color first. It's a pretty color but it does not go well with the furniture at all.

You need to move that big sofa to the wall opposite of the entry hall, the wall where the piano is located. It's just way too big. You shouldn't be looking at the sides of furniture when entering the room. The piano needs to go in the corner near the hallway, where the loveseat is currently located. You can group the chair or loveseat with the sofa, along the front window wall. One or the other HAS to go, there's not enough room for a sofa, loveseat and chair in that room, not with that overstuffed furniture style.
I would do the same arrangement, except......
If I had my way, both the loveseat and chair would be out of there.
A nice chair, such as this (armchair, different upholstery);

http://www.invitinghome.com/chairs/chairs-10/chair-1381s.jpg (broken link)

A smaller scale side table, not the big wooden one thats in there;

Oliva Mirrored Side Table - Ballard Designs

I actually think I would do a hanging light fixture over the table;

Marrakesh Melon Pendant - Ballard Designs

I would do a really fabulous lamp for the piano, and an area rug.
I could have a lot of fun choosing the accessories, window treatments and art for that room, too!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I would do the same arrangement, except......
If I had my way, both the loveseat and chair would be out of there.
That would be my preference too, but I'm douting we can inspire the OP to get rid of both! LOL

Do you also agree that the wall color isn't right?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That would be my preference too, but I'm douting we can inspire the OP to get rid of both! LOL

Do you also agree that the wall color isn't right?
We can only make suggestions of the correct thing to do in that room.
Yes, I think the wall color is all wrong, but since I cant really see what is going on with the fabric on the furniture, its really hard to make any suggestions.
The current color does nothing for the wood floors, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating