Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I'm not a tanner or a leather expert by any means, but when I asked about grade I thought I was being pretty specific about the information I am looking for regarding the grade of the leather upholstery. Not the country of origin, not the authenticity.

Since I never sold furniture I didn't know there is a 800#, orderbook, or computer to reference. It's the salespersons job to know that as you have pointed out; not mine.

I've been looking for "full grain" leather furniture, which by the way has been nearly impossible to find. Not second split, not even first split, not even top grain. Full grain is leather that has not been split at all, and has the split and top grain intact. This is even before I get into the age of the hide.

Only one furniture maker has been able to tell me right off what grade their upholstery was. Sadly is was bonded leather, so no purchase was made. The company name escapes me, but the showroom was in SoHo, NYC.

I appreciate your help. I'll point them in the right direction to get my questions answered next time.
In the furniture world, grade actually refers to the price, not what the split is.
The question you really need to ask is what split is the leather.
You're not going to find full grain, they just dont use it anymore, its all about cost.
Anything decent is going to be made from top grain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
I've actually found pieces of furniture made from Full Grain leather as local as Pottery Barn. The only drawback was the chair was not comfortable.
Arlington Leather Armchair | Pottery Barn

The selection is limited when it comes to full grain upholstered pieces. My search continues.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I've actually found pieces of furniture made from Full Grain leather as local as Pottery Barn. The only drawback was the chair was not comfortable.
Arlington Leather Armchair | Pottery Barn

The selection is limited when it comes to full grain upholstered pieces. My search continues.
These sorts of leathers are actually more more prone to staining from body oils, any type of food, and moisture.
I sold a sofa once that still had the brand from the ranch the cow lived on, on the side of the sofa.
"Full-grain refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains allowing the fiber strength and durability. The grain also has breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop a patina over time. High quality leather furniture and footwear are often made from full-grain leather. Full-grain leathers are typically available in two finish types: aniline and semi-aniline."
Leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
These sorts of leathers are actually more more prone to staining from body oils, any type of food, and moisture.
Compared to what? Top-Grain? Do you have any references that I can check out? I have a couple of Top-grain leather pieces that I feel are just as if not more prone to staining. I don't think full grain is any more susceptible.

I can see how it's more prone compared to splits, as the split has a polyurethane or other protective chemical layer which protects it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I sold a sofa once that still had the brand from the ranch the cow lived on, on the side of the sofa.
This may or may not have been full grain. Top grain pieces will still have the brand left on the hide.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Compared to what? Top-Grain? Do you have any references that I can check out? I have a couple of Top-grain leather pieces that I feel are just as if not more prone to staining. I don't think full grain is any more susceptible.

I can see how it's more prone compared to splits, as the split has a polyurethane or other protective chemical layer which protects it.

This may or may not have been full grain. Top grain pieces will still have the brand left on the hide.
Please read the link I posted.
That will tell you everything you need to know about whether a piece of leather is going to stain or not.
Its the finish on the leather, it has nothing to do with whether its top, full, or split.
Oh, and I never even said the sofa was full grain, it was an anecdote.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:14 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default full grain leather

Quote:
I'm not a tanner or a leather expert by any means, but when I asked about grade I thought I was being pretty specific about the information I am looking for regarding the grade of the leather upholstery. Not the country of origin, not the authenticity.

Since I never sold furniture I didn't know there is a 800#, orderbook, or computer to reference. It's the salespersons job to know that as you have pointed out; not mine.

I've been looking for "full grain" leather furniture, which by the way has been nearly impossible to find. Not second split, not even first split, not even top grain. Full grain is leather that has not been split at all, and has the split and top grain intact. This is even before I get into the age of the hide.

Only one furniture maker has been able to tell me right off what grade their upholstery was. Sadly is was bonded leather, so no purchase was made. The company name escapes me, but the showroom was in SoHo, NYC.

I appreciate your help. I'll point them in the right direction to get my questions answered next time.
Full grain leather has only been slightly processed--hair removed, is soft, and developes a patina over time. It is expensive, but not always the best choice for a large piece of furniture, as it does stain easily, and is not easily cleaned. It is very good for an occasional chair or comfy den chair used individually. Top grain has a finish that is more resistant to stains and scratching. Would pass muster in an adult only sofa, not pets, no kids, not many parties.

Our choice has been leather furniture from:
Scandinavian Design Furniture | Comfort leather recliners and sofas ::Ekornes

They can't be beat for comfort. They aren't a buy and take away deal, you must wait at least 14 weeks for them to be made and imported.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,832 times
Haven't read all the comments after the original post but who in their right mind would recommend Lane over Best. Whoever told you that is either a liar or has no idea what they are talking about. Flip that thing over you'll see what I mean. Best has a way better frame. I have sold both and the only real advantage with Lane is they are generally 20% less. The other difference is Lane mechs operate a little differently then the Best, but that is really how the customer feels about it. Best handles their warranty really well, but having a good store is a major help. As a store owner Best is more giving and my favorite is when a mech breaks they don't just send a new bar or spring, they send a whole new mech.

I just scanned the comments and I would not recommend Lazy boy. In the 60s to 80s they made the best recliner money could buy, but in the 90s their quality dropped. They brought there quality up a little in last few years but it is still lacking. They are just using their name recognition.

The 2 recliner brands that I recommend are Best HF or Flexsteel.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Have a look a Elite leather. We bought a reclining sofa and chair made by them. It was pricey, but the stuff is good. We have been happily using these pieces for 7 years.

We bought a Lazy Boy reclining chair about 10 years ago. I ordered a custom color. The chair is doing fine, but the color is wearing off in an unattractive way. We had delivery problems with them as well. The delivery person rubbed the finish off the arm of the chair as he was bringing it in. The store was not cooperative in expediting a new chair for us.

About Us | Elite Leather Company

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Zombie thread. I'm guessing the OP has figured this out sometime since 2011.

But since I'm here, I'll add to check out Palliser furniture. Palliser Furniture | Upholstery Furniture

The piece I bought isn't reclining but I'm completely thrilled with it. Good price, good quality and extremely comfortable. They have a large selection of reclining and home theater pieces as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,905 times
I have been looking at a Best Home Furnishings Theater seating group from the Bodie collection. I sat in them and they were SUPER comfortable! I am just worried that they will last, as we use these every day. The price seems very inexpensive compared to other brands I have looked at? How does the leather hold up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating