Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM

24 posts, read 257,485 times

Advertisements

We just moved in a new house. (new build and we are first time owner). We were planning put faux woods blind in bathrooms but find out that the blind is very heavy. We worried that after a while the weight of the blinds might just ruin the window frame. We did some research and think the cellular shade might be a good idea. What do you think? All the houses we have seen have blinds in bathrooms, we never seen any house's bathroom with cellular shade, is such a good idea? Do you have cellular in bathroom and how does it compare with faux wood blinds?

Also, are there any websites that you can look to get some interior design idea for curtains for our other rooms?

Thanks a lot
-rockdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Cellular is pretty much industrial strength paper, so I'd be wary to use it in a damp & humid environment .

When we remodeled, we neded up going with a frosted glass window in the bathrooms instead of window treatments, so I can't help you too much on the faux question, but decent quality windows should be designed to handle that kind of thing easily.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,913 times
I have a Hunter-Douglas cellular shade in the bathroom situated right by the tub. It's maybe 4 years old or so and has held up beautifully. It looks brand new and haven't had problems with mold. I can't compare it to a faux wood blind because I have never had one.

Here is the site where I buy my cellular shades (there is another thread about this if you do a search):

Blinds | Window Blinds and Shades | Custom Window Coverings

Blinds.com also carry wood blinds so you could ask their very helpful customer service reps about them.

Here is a source for curtains:

http://www.countrycurtains.com/home....=WG020139&kwid=

You could also try the JC Penny website as they seem to have alot of window treatments.

Last edited by Rowen; 08-11-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,504 times
As an alternative, we put woven wood shades in our bathroom. We love them.
Provenance® Woven Wood Shades | Home Depot In-Home Design Service

Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the links.

We still undecided between cellular shade and faux wood blind. We know the window frame or the wall can handle the weight of the blind but just feel why add the unnecessary burden on the wall or window if there is other options.

We went to JCPenny and found some sheer curtains that we liked. But the length is 95" with grommet, and our window top trim to floor is 97". In order for the curtain touch/right on the floor, the curtain rod has to be installed at the middle of the top window trim. Not sure if that acceptable, we ended not getting those curtains.

More internal design images browsing need to be done.

Any other options?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Bathrooms get icky with sprays and powders and whatnot, and a cellular shade would become impossible to clean, in my opinion. Faux wood is basically heavy duty, thick vinyl, and is easy to clean.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,429 times
I have double cell cellular all over my house and love them! And they really help keeping the heat and cold out. Most of mine are cordless, but I do have a window above my toilet and I got one that you can raise from the bottom, or lower from the top. I always lower it a bit from the top and let the light in (plus they are light filtering). Then I have a pretty rod and valance above it. I have not had any problems with keeping them clean....just vacuum them. They have been in place over 4 years now.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdale View Post
Thanks for all the links.

We still undecided between cellular shade and faux wood blind. We know the window frame or the wall can handle the weight of the blind but just feel why add the unnecessary burden on the wall or window if there is other options.

We went to JCPenny and found some sheer curtains that we liked. But the length is 95" with grommet, and our window top trim to floor is 97". In order for the curtain touch/right on the floor, the curtain rod has to be installed at the middle of the top window trim. Not sure if that acceptable, we ended not getting those curtains.

More internal design images browsing need to be done.

Any other options?
"We know the window frame or the wall can handle the weight of the blind but just feel why add the unnecessary burden on the wall or window if there is other options."

A very interesting consideration.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Just wanted to report back. We end up getting 2" Faux Wood Blind in all the bathrooms. They looks good. We will get cellular cell shades for the breakfast nook and curtains for the rest of windows.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating