Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,173,185 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen a conversation pit in the last 20 years or have they gone the way of the dodo bird? I know people aren't big on old-fashioned conversations any more - if you gather in a living room it's typically focused on watching tv - and they sort of limited your furniture arranging options; but I always fancied having one of these. We had them in my elementary school & junior high but I never encountered on in an actual home outside of vintage decorating books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM

34,167 posts, read 83,273,883 times
Set it up with firewire or usb hubs and call it a "gaming center"
Kids don't have conversations anymore.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,249,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Has anyone seen a conversation pit in the last 20 years or have they gone the way of the dodo bird? I know people aren't big on old-fashioned conversations any more - if you gather in a living room it's typically focused on watching tv - and they sort of limited your furniture arranging options; but I always fancied having one of these. We had them in my elementary school & junior high but I never encountered on in an actual home outside of vintage decorating books.
1. No TV in the living room ever, otherwise it become a TV room. I have my TV in my den/library, and the room is not big enough to accomodate more than one guest and the set is never on when someone else is there.

2. Cultivate friends who want to have conversations.

I did know one person who built one into his apartment in the 80's. There was a fireplace in the room as well. It was a wonderful place to sit around and have some good talks.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:06 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,602,723 times
Most of that sort of "Playboy Mansion" style of decorating / furnishing has mercifully gone the way of the "leisure suit". I sorta associate the angular modernist homes of the early 1970's like "The Carver's" home from the Ice Storm with those velour covered aberrations -- The Prodigal Guide » The 20 houses from the movies we’d actually want to live in

You can certainly buy a circular sectional covered in more up-to-date materials -- Circular Sofa Circular sectional sofas-pros and consSofa King | Sofa King You need a really LARGE room to accommodate those things and you run a big risk of turning your home into something that looks like the space port from Kubrick's 2001 -- https://sosyalmekan.files.wordpress....e-odyssey.jpeg

What's wrong with having settees that face each other? http://mediaserver02.living4media.co...=/00709139.jpg Very conducive to "conversation" without the creepy overtones of "furniture" from not-so-work-safe places -- http://www.liberator.com/_static/web.../266/137_2.jpg

Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 PM

10,060 posts, read 18,153,820 times
When I moved into my new house, I decided to use the living room as the "formal" room, which really meant no TV. This house, unlike my last one, had a separate living space right off the garage, which is where I enter the house 99% of the time. That's the TV room.

The living room has a fireplace in the middle of the exterior wall. I put 2 sofas perpendicular to it, facing each other. I got a great deal on the sofas and really love the space. It's VERY conducive to conversations, but also to reading, playing the piano, etc. Just not watching the Super Bowl.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,223,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
1. No TV in the living room ever, otherwise it become a TV room. I have my TV in my den/library, and the room is not big enough to accomodate more than one guest and the set is never on when someone else is there.

2. Cultivate friends who want to have conversations.

I did know one person who built one into his apartment in the 80's. There was a fireplace in the room as well. It was a wonderful place to sit around and have some good talks.
Rule # 2 No tv in the bedroom

TV's in Kitchen, Den and man cave only.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,943,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Rule # 2 No tv in the bedroom

TV's in Kitchen, Den and man cave only.
I can live with those rules

Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,872,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
People... converse? In person?! IN THEIR LIVING ROOMS?!!

Surely that was just a dream you accidentally mistook for reality.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:55 PM

42,023 posts, read 75,442,256 times
Check this out!

Whatever happened to the seating platform, the conversation pit? | ouno

Conversation Pits: Time for a Comeback! | Apartment Therapy

They're awfully cool, but you need a big room to pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Set it up with firewire or usb hubs and call it a "gaming center"
Kids don't have conversations anymore.
Who invited the kids?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,173,185 times
^^^^ Nice pics at those two links. I especially like the ones with a fire pit in the center. They have a certain exotic lounge feeling that a sectional or 2 settees just wouldn't provide, IMO. Come to think of it, there is a similar conversation/fire pit at the Peppermill Lounge in Las Vegas...although the TVs sort of defeat the purpose.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating