Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
wow, thanx for that link. I had no idea Formica could be and is so beautiful.

I agree.

I don't see why laminate or formika is considered as hideous and un acceptable to a buyer.

There are a billion chips of formika to pick out, to me, they look fine. One can certainly find one that looks nice. plus, you can't kill formika.

OK, granite is obviously nicer, but now that everyone can basically afford it, it kinda lost it's "specialness"

maybe I am old school, or too old to care, but granite doesn't make or break me one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I am told that there are some amazing things done with concrete these days. You can get the same look of granite (if you like that look), for a fraction of the cost.

Personally, I am trying to keep my home as natural as possible and I really love the look of butcher block. If I were to ever get new counter tops I would certainly go with wood. Stainless steel is pretty cool too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I'm glad you said that because despite all the advice here, it was not wise. You said you were only doing some basic things to the kitchen. Why spend several grand for nice new granite to place over old worn out obsolete cabinets. Instead just do a nice laminate. Today's generation of laminate counter tops are high quality, no longer are they cheap apartment grade junk. And for a fraction of the cost.

Granite is still popular but is dying quickly in total North American sales figures available in our trade journals. The more costly alternatives is not your best option. Stick to a nice laminate top and save money.
I agree~ We went with laminate counter tops because I'm the type that's likes to switch things out after a few years myself...So far we been happy, plus we have no seams as well....Yes within the next few years I'll change em...

Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I agree~ We went with laminate counter tops because I'm the type that's likes to switch things out after a few years myself...So far we been happy, plus we have no seams as well....Yes within the next few years I'll change em...

That is the beveled edge on the laminate I was trying to explain. It looks god to me. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I don't see why all the hate on laminate, it comes in a billion choices..........

Old 09-26-2012, 11:29 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
That is the beveled edge on the laminate I was trying to explain. It looks god to me. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I don't see why all the hate on laminate, it comes in a billion choices..........
That's fine if you like laminate, but it's also fine if there are people who disagree.

Laminate is just a sheet of printed laminated paper laid on top of a plywood base. There are definitely seams where the side pieces or even beveled edges are glued on. They may be hidden well, especially if the laminate is a busy faux granite print, but they are there -- you can see how it's done in a DIY beveled-edge video on-line. Solid-surface, quartz, and granite countertops do not have seams on the edges, nor do they have the feel of laminate. As I stated above, I am picky about things like that. Doesn't make me a bad person.

I personally like the look of solid-surface (Corian) OK, but it scratches too easily. So based on my own personal taste, I'm left with granite and quartz. I've had granite and am kind of tired of it, so right now my preference is quartz. If I could not have afforded quartz, I probably would have gotten a laminate with a squared-off edge that mimicked quartz.

NMRita, if you're not selling for 10 years, that's a tough call. You don't really want to "piecemeal" your updates and have everything mis-matched. Maybe wait awhile and update the kitchen to your liking a few years before you sell, so you can enjoy it.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
NMRita, if you're not selling for 10 years, that's a tough call. You don't really want to "piecemeal" your updates and have everything mis-matched. Maybe wait awhile and update the kitchen to your liking a few years before you sell, so you can enjoy it.
While I do agree that "piecemealing" a room can be tough and end up a little disjointed feeling, I think piecemealing a house in general can be a good thing sometimes. It tends to lead to a more cohesive, eclectic feel in the house that feels less like it was all updated at one time/at one point in your stylistic history.

We are DIYing the majority of upgrades in our house to keep it cheaper and we are also spreading it out financially so it is being done over a long period of time (we bought the house two years ago and have done bits and pieces constantly since then). It will probably take us 5 years to do everything we want but I think it is turning out great because of that.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Hi ~ Yes we have the beveled edge done and very happy with it. We don't cut on our counter tops, even if I had granite that just how we are! ... Like I said we are the type to change things out within a few years~...Plus I don't worry about what might sell my home in ten years, I live there and beside I'm sure something different will be all the rage by then, always is...Last we have owned four homes, everyone of them we owned we redid something we didn't like. Overall I think people need enjoy there home, not for some future strangers~ ..

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
That's fine if you like laminate, but it's also fine if there are people who disagree.

Laminate is just a sheet of printed laminated paper laid on top of a plywood base. There are definitely seams where the side pieces or even beveled edges are glued on. They may be hidden well, especially if the laminate is a busy faux granite print, but they are there -- you can see how it's done in a DIY beveled-edge video on-line. Solid-surface, quartz, and granite countertops do not have seams on the edges, nor do they have the feel of laminate. As I stated above, I am picky about things like that. Doesn't make me a bad person.

I personally like the look of solid-surface (Corian) OK, but it scratches too easily. So based on my own personal taste, I'm left with granite and quartz. I've had granite and am kind of tired of it, so right now my preference is quartz. If I could not have afforded quartz, I probably would have gotten a laminate with a squared-off edge that mimicked quartz.

What you said about Laminate is not completely correct but I do very much agree with you on Solid Surface which is my favorite. As a Certified Kitchen Designer I'm suppose to recommend Granite. I do but that's not cause I like it.

Just for the record, According to Trade Journals, total North American sales for Granite are falling sharply. In other words Granite is losing popularity. Ask any Realtor and they will call me a liar but the unbiased sales figures are fact, not my opinion.. The next fad is beginning and that's decorative cement counter tops. I don't mean mixing bags of cement from Home Junkpo in your kitchen. I mean cement in it's own class that is filled with fibers and has a tinsel strength as strong as what they use to pour bridges on roadways. Colors are added to make an unlimited array of colors.

Back to Solid Surface. So many call all Solid Surface "Corian", Corian is a brand, not a product. It's like calling all Cotton Swabs "Q-tips". Solid Surface is made by Corian (by Dupont who invented SS), Wilsonart (probably the most popular today). Avonite, Formica, Basix and many others. I choose Wilsonart any day any time.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post

Looks pretty good to me. Seems does seem to be curse word for you. The good news is with Laminate you can get up to 14' lengths. With Granite I never seen a slab over 102" which is just over 8'. Not enough to go seamless in most kitchens today.

In any case, what counts is you are happy with the results.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What you said about Laminate is not completely correct but I do very much agree with you on Solid Surface which is my favorite. As a Certified Kitchen Designer I'm suppose to recommend Granite. I do but that's not cause I like it.

Just for the record, According to Trade Journals, total North American sales for Granite are falling sharply. In other words Granite is losing popularity. Ask any Realtor and they will call me a liar but the unbiased sales figures are fact, not my opinion.. The next fad is beginning and that's decorative cement counter tops. I don't mean mixing bags of cement from Home Junkpo in your kitchen. I mean cement in it's own class that is filled with fibers and has a tinsel strength as strong as what they use to pour bridges on roadways. Colors are added to make an unlimited array of colors.

Back to Solid Surface. So many call all Solid Surface "Corian", Corian is a brand, not a product. It's like calling all Cotton Swabs "Q-tips". Solid Surface is made by Corian (by Dupont who invented SS), Wilsonart (probably the most popular today). Avonite, Formica, Basix and many others. I choose Wilsonart any day any time.
Out of curiosity, what's not correct about my post on laminate? I admit I'm no expert, but that's the way it's done, correct?

I agree granite is on the downswing. After all this time that it's been on-trend, people were bound to start getting tired of it. I didn't consider concrete as I had heard it was REALLY expensive -- is it? I love my quartz countertop except that it has a little chip along the sink edge that I'm not happy about. I thought it was supposed to be so indestructible...and believe me, I don't cook enough to warrant chipped counters.

Yes, I put Corian in parentheses as an example of solid-surface, but I know there are others. My cousin has beige-with-white-flecked Corian, with a beige integrated Corian sink. The sink is totally scratched up, and the scratches on the counter are obvious as well. I had a solid-surface (dark gray with black speckles) installed in my Mom's condo and I LOVE the silky-smooth feel of it (and no seams on the edges!). The scratches aren't as obvious because of the dark color, but still, I hate the fact that it does scratch so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating