Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

My son and his wife bought house that had been a HUD foreclosure and was bought/remodeled before they did...It has lot of nice features and the remodeling did some things pretty well but the electric range is the pits...I don't know how it cleared the inspection...
We are buying them a new free-standing range for early Christmas present...but because they want to change to gas cooktop some time in future they say don't spend lot of money on this electric one...
Any recommendations for a decent quality electric range--preferably with glass/smooth cooktop vs coil burners...
I have looked on different sites and GE, Fridgedair, and Amana have had some good reviews but most reviews happen soon after the item is bought/installed and doesn't give any idea of how well it is working several months down the road...

So if anyone has experience with a fairly inexpensive electric range would appreciate some feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
I have an LG, it is about 2 years old, I really like it. No problems.

Around here we have alot of scratch & dent places, the appliances are new, just dinged, you can save alot of $. The warrenty still applies.

I only mention this as they are planning to replace it in the near future anyway.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
The only scratch/dent place I know of is the Sears Outlets--one at Grapevine Mills Mall, one in Arlington--
and when I check online--their prices are not that much less for a new, scratch/dent than for a new at a Sears store...when you compare like to like models...
@@@@OK--I looked again at the Sears website--and there might be some possible choices there to be fair--
but I think it means actually going to look at any one they might want just to make sure the degree of "refurbishing" that model went through...some say they are floor models/never installed @@@

how much did you pay for your LG--or if it came with house, can you give model # so I can check price
we can't go over 500

Last edited by loves2read; 09-21-2012 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
...but because they want to change to gas cooktop some time in future they say don't spend lot of money on this electric one...
Same here.
Almost two years ago I bought a perfectly adequate USED stove for $200.
If/when I get the remodeling done I'll give it to Habitat.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I have a Crosley brand in my rental house. It is the old O'Keefe & Merit brand....It was only a few hundred and has been very reliable. I purchased 5 new appliances at once it was among them at the local Ace Hardware. Check these type places, or Does your Costco, or Sam's club carry appliances?? You should not have a problem finding a good one.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Warehouse Club...

The Costco store near me had a nice looking smoothtop Amana electric range for like $580. Honestly I would not recommend spending less unless you shop used...

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Why not just do the gas now?

Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
The Habitat Restore sometimes gets donations from stores closing out their inventories, excess manufacturer's /builder's inventories, etc. Much of it is brand new, never used and their prices are amazing. It may be worth a call. The "big one" out there is in Garland, right off I-10, (since you mentioned Grapevine Mills...) 972-303-0203. There are other stores, i.e. one in Dallas, but the Garland one is where the "good" home improvement items seem to go.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The only scratch/dent place I know of is the Sears Outlets--one at Grapevine Mills Mall, one in Arlington--
and when I check online--their prices are not that much less for a new, scratch/dent than for a new at a Sears store...when you compare like to like models...
@@@@OK--I looked again at the Sears website--and there might be some possible choices there to be fair--
but I think it means actually going to look at any one they might want just to make sure the degree of "refurbishing" that model went through...some say they are floor models/never installed @@@

how much did you pay for your LG--or if it came with house, can you give model # so I can check price
we can't go over 500
there used to be one in Carrollton I believe. It too was a Sears store..

Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why not just do the gas now?
Perhaps the OP's son and wife don't presently have a gas line installed to the kitchen.

As for which model/brand, the GE JBS55DMWW (white) or JBS55DMWW (black) seem like good options for you if you don't need self cleaning. I consider GE to be higher quality than Frigidaire or Amana (Whirlpool's low cost brand). I found them for under $500 online (with FREE shipping):

GE JBS55DMWW:
JBS55DMWW - GE 30" JBS55DMWW White Free-Standing Electric Range at Abt

GE JBS55DMBB:
JBS55BKBB - GE 30" JBS55BKBB Free-Standing Black Electric Range at Abt

FYI, Avoid Tappan or Hotpoint, as those are apartment grade ranges. Even though GE makes Hotpoint ranges, they tend to cut corners with these units to reduce their cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating