Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times

Advertisements

I am switching this area to shabby chic and was hoping someone might be able to give me some tips.

1. I have the green matted iris print in the lr, because it went with my last decor, and matches my armoir and some of the couch cushions, but am thinking maybe it doesn't go anymore, thoughts.

2. I feel like I should paint the lamps cream and get new shades, thoughts?

3. Does the area rug go ok? I thought it wouldn't but friends think it's ok?

4. What should I put on the wall behind the chair, round table and couch (I've included a pic of a couple of things I already have)?

5. I've got crinkle sheers for all the windows.

6. Any other tips to create the look I'm seeking? I think the very old valances should go and be replaced with sheers or lace sheers. I have honeycomb blinds underneath which I will keep as they save me lots in utilities in the hot and cold weather.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...main-shot.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ofa-table.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ofa-table.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ures-hand.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...87-armoir.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...moir-side.html

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
From my perspective, the lamps are too small . . . I don't like clutter so I would get rid of all vases - and NO DRIED FLOWERS . . .bad Feng Shui . . .I personally do not care for the rug - I think it makes the room look too busy.

On the plus side, I like the couch and the way it is placed - like the entry table - the armoire is cute but would probably be better in another color (black or cornflower blue maybe? or maybe even yellow) . . .as it is now, it looks too Eighties with the color and the dried flowers surrounding it.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
There's a lot of brown for a shabby chic room. Shabby chic is light and airy.

White or light colored slip covers would do wonders. It's a staple for shabby chic. Check out the google pics, almost all have slip covers.

shabby chic living room - Google Search

I'd get a different area rug. It's too dark, busy and formal for shabby chic.

But you're heading in the right direction. Love the amoire. The color is great, but get rid of those fake flower thingies.

Your instinct is right about the valances, the should go.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I can only add that Rome wasn't built in a day. For shabby chic to look really good, you must carefully assemble a bunch of authentically crummy comfortable things. You want old things with patina, not a bunch of new, made to look like, things. You can paint the lamps white, but they will still be little new lamps for HomeGoods, or wherever, painted white.
I second whoever said to never ever have fake flowers, please.
Crinkle sheers conjures up polyester, which doesn't sound good. Natural fibers would be better. You can get cotton voile sheers from Country Curtains will will look much better.

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-11-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,353 times
I think as long as you have the dark furnishings and that wall color, you are working against Shabby Chic style. The rug you have looks great with your furniture but it is yet another element says, “I’m not SC”. Unless you can lighten at least one of these major elements (the furniture is the most important), it’s going to look like you have two different styles going on in there.

Assuming you will continue to move toward SC, the rug is apparently the easiest of the three big elements to replace. I don’t think a SC rug would work surrounded by that dark furniture. At best I think you could use a light, brown based solid color rug there…it wouldn’t be SC, but at least it would read as a neutral rather than an entirely different style. Be careful to get the right texture on such a rug. I think the big print is fine. Removal of the valances is a must. Lace or sheers would be lovely but you said you already have crinkle sheers. Are you planning two layers of curtains?

For SC you need more light colored and more patterned things in the room. Lighter lamps would help, as would a SC quilt spread across the back of the sofa. Go find yourself a gorgeous SC print and make no sew table toppers for those round tables…it’s instant PRETTY for a few dollars.

Pardon me if you already know this, but nearly everything in that room is English Country. It would be easier to complete that style than to go to SC. For EC I’d use a pastoral scene in place of the flower print, lace curtains, a quilt across the back of the sofa (toile would be great), maybe paint the white mirror frame, maybe finish the walls with some plates (transfer ware or floral patterns, etc.).

Whether SC or EC, you might consider removing the ivy from the armoire, cutting down to one vase with flowers in it (I love the dried arrangement), cutting down to one doily on the coffee table and one on the dresser, and getting rid of the valances.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
The iris print looks OK to me, but do you love it? Live with it until you find a print or piece of original art you love. Then replace it.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM

I'd refresh the lame with a new shade, perhaps one of the gathered or shirred ones that are available now, but I don't mind the color of the base. If it were to be painted white, it might not stand out. I think this is your call.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:49 PM

I also think your room is pretty full as it is. Remember that there should one or two walls in every room with nothing hanging on them, to give the eye a place to rest.

You have a lovely room. I think you've done it really well.

If the area rug is having a conversation with something else in the room--perhaps the brownish lamp?--it should be OK. In the pic it looks OK to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating