Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times

Advertisements

We're seriously considering a concrete countertop for our kitchen soon. If we do it, I'll post pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,224,500 times
Concrete countertops are really nice. Love it. One of my favorite restaurants has one that has some wire running through it makes randome soft curve designs, very contemporary. The design possibilites are endless.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,153,003 times
We are in the middle of a kitchen reno and ended up going with granite. I wanted the quartz, but we got a phenomenal deal on granite and I couldn't find a quartz that could touch it in price. For resale, you should be fine on granite, and the look is pretty much the same. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM

34,110 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My house has laminate countertops that are coming to the end of their useful life.
They were installed sometime in the 1970s according to a neighbor.

Since I maytransfer for my job...
but I also want to choose a material that offers a good ROI.
Replace the nearly 40 year old did a fine job laminate...
with new laminate tops. Done.

Least expense, you know it'll work, lot's of color/pattern choices.
If/when the new buyer decided they simply must have X or Y or Z...
they can make those choices for themselves.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM

210 posts, read 708,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Replace the nearly 40 year old did a fine job laminate...
with new laminate tops. Done.

Least expense, you know it'll work, lot's of color/pattern choices.
If/when the new buyer decided they simply must have X or Y or Z...
they can make those choices for themselves.
The risk with letting the buyer put their own upgrades in - is sometimes they lack vision, or the upfront cash. OR the other house they like already has upgrades.

We can thank HGTV for that. Time & time again we see buyers not pick a great house because it doesn't have stainless steel appliances or granite countertops.

It really depends on the area you live in and what is "expected" to sell a house quickly.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureCooker View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing concrete counters someplace. Been hearing more about them, haven't seen them but the concept fascinates me.
I've seen them a few times but they're usually poorly executed. If they're done properly though they're gorgeous....but it costs quite a bit of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules21 View Post
The risk with letting the buyer put their own upgrades in - is sometimes they lack vision, or the upfront cash. OR the other house they like already has upgrades.

We can thank HGTV for that. Time & time again we see buyers not pick a great house because it doesn't have stainless steel appliances or granite countertops.

It really depends on the area you live in and what is "expected" to sell a house quickly.
Around here, kitchen upgrades are expected for a top dollar selling price.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,224,500 times
Around here, hardwood floors, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances and new tile floors are "standard" from the large estates to even in the poorest built tiny old homes. They seem to be everywhere. It seems risky to not put it in if selling. So costly and from the housing I've been looking at recently it doesn't seem to reflect it in the price.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,062,938 times
Granite is definitely not what is being shown where I live....at least not in the design homes and nicer model homes....we are seeing other stone and also beautifully crafted wood top islands. If we were remodeling I might opt for granite but it would not have much of a pattern.

I am seeing soapstone, marble, concrete, slate.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 AM

18 posts, read 61,999 times
if you want an easy to maintain coutertop then go for quartz but if your preference is high quality then select granite....

Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,919,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha kench View Post
if you want an easy to maintain coutertop then go for quartz but if your preference is high quality then select granite....
Not sure what you are trying to imply here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating